Fleet Carriers: not a new speculation post, just a feedback request to FDEV on major points

I don't want to know all, but there are few things that are driving a lot of speculations in the community and I kindly ask FDEV to answer only to a few basic questions that would solve most of it.

1. Are Fleet Carriers meant for Squadrons only, or can they be used also by single players as a moving base for their own fleet?
2. What is the jump range of these carriers? Is it in line with the megaships (500 LY)? Or more/less?
3. Will there be the possibility to store ships, modules and commodities?

You don't need to go into full details, a generic answer would be much appreciated.

December is a fair way off so I imagine we will found out closer to release.

Something of concern however is will there be a beta test this time?

I don't want to know all, but there are few things that are driving a lot of speculations in the community and I kindly ask FDEV to answer only to a few basic questions that would solve most of it.

1. Are Fleet Carriers meant for Squadrons only, or can they be used also by single players as a moving base for their own fleet?
2. What is the jump range of these carriers? Is it in line with the megaships (500 LY)? Or more/less?
3. Will there be the possibility to store ships, modules and commodities?

You don't need to go into full details, a generic answer would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't expect FCs to have a jump range in excess of 100 LY, otherwise they'll become a 'must have' for exploration.

I wouldn't expect FCs to have a jump range in excess of 100 LY, otherwise they'll become a 'must have' for exploration.
Not necessarily. If the rumour is true that materials will be needed to refuel a FC rather than docking (too big) or scooping then that would put the kibosh on exploration. Would anyone want to risk their shiny, new FC jumping to a system not knowing if there are planets with the required raw mats to refuel?

Not necessarily. If the rumour is true that materials will be needed to refuel a FC rather than docking (too big) or scooping then that would put the kibosh on exploration. Would anyone want to risk their shiny, new FC jumping to a system not knowing if there are planets with the required raw mats to refuel?

People happily jump to places they KNOW they can't jump back from now. Don't see why that would change with a carrier.

500 ly in an exploration specced ship is like 8 -9 jumps, so around 10-12 minute of play time. If it takes hours or days (as these will be balance for group play, not single pilots) to refuel for another jump I can't really see it being a must have for explorers whether you are in a squadron or on your own. And it it only holds a single ship (no ship transfer), its completely pointless.

500 ly in an exploration specced ship is like 8 -9 jumps, so around 10-12 minute of play time. If it takes hours or days (as these will be balance for group play, not single pilots) to refuel for another jump I can't really see it being a must have for explorers whether you are in a squadron or on your own. And it it only holds a single ship (no ship transfer), its completely pointless.
all depends how it works too much speculation at the minute, 500ly every tick for example is fine, the whole thread is pretty pointless to be honest, no answers will be given just mind numbing speculation. as you say 500ly might be ok depending how its implemented.

this is exactly why frontier dont tell us anything lol

all depends how it works too much speculation at the minute, 500ly every tick for example is fine, the whole thread is pretty pointless to be honest, no answers will be given just mind numbing speculation. as you say 500ly might be ok depending how its implemented.

this is exactly why frontier dont tell us anything lol
Supposedly you can jump as soon as get the required materials (what they are is anyones guess) according to the old squadrons focus feedback. They supposedly won't need to wait for a tick. But as we don't know how much materials are needed it's difficult to judge. But I suspect the requirements will be based on group play which is what these ships are pointed at, not lone wolf commanders.

Not if they take 1,000t of scooped / deposited hydrogen fuel to jump that distance (or 50+ raw materials to synthesise the fuel)....

I'm hoping its something like that rather than some obscene amount of high grade materials. If its something grindy as heck, like 1000 Polonium for a <100LY jump I for one would be like "Tell you what keep the carrier." But if its a simple hydrogen fuel transfer, I'll happily build a "tanker" with a big scoop (class 7 or maybe 8) and massive fuel tanks for the refuelling process. A couple of scooping sorties and the carrier is brimmed up, even if your carrier were in a non scoopable star system, you'd only need to do a couple of jumps to get somewhere that you can scoop up the fuel for it....

...or call the fuel rats!🤣

Last edited:
Top Bottom