Stupid, probably noob, question about ship upgrades.

I have two Cobra IIIs, one kitted for general mission runs, the other for mining. Since the Cobra III seems to be rather rubbish at combat I have an Eagle and a Vulture for that, both also excellent fun. My question is this: why should I "upgrade" by buying a Krait II, other than for the privilege of naming it "Alfred"? How much more fun will I get flying a Krait II over a Cobra III given that it is over 100x more expensive?

Sensible answers only please, or failing that don't make me laugh too hard as I am nursing my sciatica again...

Krait vs Cobra? You're havin a laugh right. Don't get me wrong, I still have my old Cobra (fully G5 with PAs & Rails) and it's a good laugh, but it comes nowhere near the Krait(s). Not even remotely. The mkII is, in my opinion, the best medium ship (from my experience with an AspX, Python, Chieftain, two mkIIs and a Phantom). It's fast enough, great hardpoints, has an SLF option...

Yea, OP.
Aim high.
But before getting a Krait Mk2 maybe take an intermediary step and go for an AspX - it's a really versatile ship too and later on you can make it an explorer

I still have my Cobra, but now she's been downgraded as a material gatherer as she still has one of the best SuperCruise flight characteristic in game.

I still have my old A-class outfited Cobra for fun.
But ships like Krait Mk.2 or Python are totally different. You can do much more with them. Trade a lot more comodities, mine much more Painite or Void Opals, fight much larger ships, have fighter hangar together with planetary vehicle hangar in one ship etc.

And with proper engineering...

Just half hour ago, I was figthing in this ship:

with a wing of Two Krait Phantoms and one Mamba and I won the fight.

Lestat

Banned
I have two Cobra IIIs, one kitted for general mission runs, the other for mining. Since the Cobra III seems to be rather rubbish at combat I have an Eagle and a Vulture for that, both also excellent fun. My question is this: why should I "upgrade" by buying a Krait II, other than for the privilege of naming it "Alfred"? How much more fun will I get flying a Krait II over a Cobra III given that it is over 100x more expensive?

Sensible answers only please, or failing that don't make me laugh too hard as I am nursing my sciatica again...
You can hire a crew member who pilots your Krait II or a small ship. It had decent amount of hard points.

1: Get the Krait mkII because it is an even better multi role ship than the Cobra.
2: Get the Krait mkII because you haven't got it, you should at least try all the ships available to you even if you don't intend to have several of every ship in your fleet.

Simply put - the answer is in scale.

Cargo space:
  • Cobra 46t
  • Krait 180t

Weapons:
  • Cobra 2x M + 2x S
  • Krait 3x L + 2x M

Utility:
  • Cobra 2x
  • Krait 4x

Price:
  • Cobra 348k Cr
  • Krait 45.8M Cr

Plus, Krait can equip SLF hangar, which Cobra can't.

Overall you can do same things in both ships but I can bet that you'll earn more in Krait than in Cobra in given time bracket. Krait gives you simply more options and I prefer having more options.

Top Bottom