General / Off-Topic James Bond's Makeover

RE: D.C's Bond - I think that a part of the magic of the older Bonds was that the character was always larger than life. Closer to a comic book hero than a man. He got gadgets, women, always found his way out of every situation and did it with a smirk on his face. :)
Craig's films are too grounded. I like them, actually, but it's not a true Bond. It's too gritty and "real". Maybe that's why you didn't enjoy them.
Craig's Bond is constantly in some sort of pain or emotional struggle and does his job only just. He's no longer that charming, slightly arrogant superspy.
Yep, same reason why I was never a fan of Dalton's Bond.

James Bond for me worked better during the 60's and 70's
I'd love to see a Retro Bond get made.
I kinda liked the recent Man from U.N.C.L.E. for that.
RE: D.C's Bond - I think that a part of the magic of the older Bonds was that the character was always larger than life. Closer to a comic book hero than a man. He got gadgets, women, always found his way out of every situation and did it with a smirk on his face. :)
Craig's films are too grounded. I like them, actually, but it's not a true Bond. It's too gritty and "real". Maybe that's why you didn't enjoy them.
Craig's Bond is constantly in some sort of pain or emotional struggle and does his job only just. He's no longer that charming, slightly arrogant superspy.
tvtropes have a thing for this, like a scale of hardness for spy fiction (similar to the sci-fi scales with space opera such as star wars at one end, and asimov or clarke's works at the other) that goes from "martini" to "stale beer", with 60's bond and Archer occupying the former slot with the fast cars and gadgets, supervillain plots where the whole world is at stake and so on, while at the other end are the gritty and realistic thrillers such as Funeral in Berlin or Tinker Tailor Solder Spy or The Fourth Protocol. Craig's Bond ended up classed as "dirty martini", ie. neither one nor the other, with the gritty tone but still keeping all the gadgeteering themes and international supervillainy, and it's hard to strike a balance without driving the purists off from either camp.

When you're progressive agenda is specifically to tear down supposedly harmful male stereotypes, it follows that your writing, directing and producing is going to a pile of fecal matter. Nobody producing these remakes or sjw "re-workings" is putting creativity anywhere near the list much less at the top of it. Creativity simply isn't the point. Otherwise, they'd just make their own character and launch an original story arc.

Im actually ok with this movie for one reason. i have no doubt that it will flop.
It will serve as yet another example of money wasting while pandering to trendy political dogma.
Everywhere ive read the comments online regarding this character change is filled with negative comments, they are not racist or sexist but they are tired of PC culture.

Goose4291

Banned
Im actually ok with this movie for one reason. i have no doubt that it will flop.
It will serve as yet another example of money wasting while pandering to trendy political dogma.
Everywhere ive read the comments online regarding this character change is filled with negative comments, they are not racist or sexist but they are tired of PC culture.

The problem is it won't play out like that.

What will happen is, it'll flop or her character will be regarded lukewarmly by the general public, and Entertainment Industry darlings will tell us how it was totally amazing, but angry white nerds stopped it from achieving its potential.

And so it'll go on.

On a sidebar, if you want a good female action spy movie, I'd recommend Haywire.

Goose4291

Banned
I'm calling the next one..

Coming 2021:

The town of Amity is plagued by attacks from a male, CIS Gendered great WHITE shark that preys on asylum seekers trying to enter the US at this friendly inclusive port town.

When things come to a head after an attack during Pride week, running out of options, hapless neurotic local police chief Brody is forced to team up with sassy streetwise Shark Hunter Quint and quirky oceanographer Michelle Hooper to kill the beast.

If you're going to see one film this year, make sure it's this one. Otherwise we'll call you a homophobe/racist/fascist as required, to justify low box office take.

Jaws-Female.jpg

Imagine getting bent out of shape over the gender/colour of an imaginary character who has been reimagined.
On the flipside, imagine getting bent out of shape over the gender/colour of an imaginary character who hasn't been reimagined.

I have no horse in this race, I dislike most everybody.

Goose4291

Banned
On the flipside, imagine getting bent out of shape over the gender/colour of an imaginary character who hasn't been reimagined.

LOL. Curse you and your ninja ways!

I nearly agree with you but it’s the tone of it all. Those asking for changes are labelled as SJW’s, virtue signallers just waiting for ‘libtard’ and ‘snowflakes’. The feeling is, it is ‘political correctness gone mad’. Funny then that when the anti-pc brigade hear a story like this, they lose their minds whilst telling everyone else, on every other subject, that pandering to the sensitivities of others is just virtue signalling etc.

See how their sensitivities are tweaked and the noises they make when something like this happens. I guess what I’m saying is, if the stance is f#%k people’s sensitivities that that includes your own. It’s hypocritical. That makes it worse, for me.

I don't see anyone losing their minds.
But I find it extremely amusing when people do.
Especially when it comes to make believe content that can easily be not consumed by those offended on either side.
Words don't hurt me, ideas don't hurt me either, I'm just practicing my witty prose.
Don't worry, I won't quit my day job.

The problem is it won't play out like that.

What will happen is, it'll flop or her character will be regarded lukewarmly by the general public, and Entertainment Industry darlings will tell us how it was totally amazing, but angry white nerds stopped it from achieving its potential.

And so it'll go on.

On a sidebar, if you want a good female action spy movie, I'd recommend Haywire.

Well the review Bias from 'Professional' reviewers is already public knowledge.
What talks at the end of the day is Money.

I'm calling the next one..

Coming 2021:

The town of Amity is plagued by attacks from a male, CIS Gendered great WHITE shark that preys on asylum seekers trying to enter the US at this friendly inclusive port town.

When things come to a head after an attack during Pride week, running out of options, hapless neurotic local police chief Brody is forced to team up with sassy streetwise Shark Hunter Quint and quirky oceanographer Michelle Hooper to kill the beast.

If you're going to see one film this year, make sure it's this one. Otherwise we'll call you a homophobe/racist/fascist as required, to justify low box office take.

Jaws-Female.jpg

haha.
made me laugh. :ROFLMAO:

In my opinion, the whole thing is just getting ridiculous.

Say good bye to the freedoms of thought, speech and how we are all meant to act.

Rights, all fought for, with blood, sweat and tears. Lives dedicated to and sacrificed for rights earned, over centuries: Just dismissed, because of one percent, of the population; is not sure of what it 'wants to be'.

Even misogynistic dinosaurs, have their place in this world: Just because it is in an Aston Martin, driving very fast along an Alpine road, with a beautiful woman sitting beside him and doting on his every action; is irrelevant. We are talking fiction, or entertainment, after all. Not the 22nd century finishing school, for young men.

Top Bottom