ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

I think there needs to be a universal limpet controller that works with all limpets. Just a suggestion.
But is that better than what we have now which is a universal limpet that works with all controllers, yes it would free up slots but it would increase the number of limpets needed and make getting restocking wrong much more likely.

New players. I've heard the feedback was that some more casual gamers were finding it hard to play. And struggled with the controles. So they added SCA, and Advanced docking computer. Both options are optional ;) and they still have their problems (by design) for example SCA cant fly you round obsticles, and the Advanced Docking Computer can still scrape the letterbox, causing some dammage (random)

basically its to encorage more players

For me, SCA is great for long halls. Aim at a planet, set SCA, go make tea and bicuites. By the time you get back, SCA will actually put you in Orbit mode. Wonderfull.

Personally, and I don't want to start any roumors but, I believe SCA could also be getting us ready for Cough space legs Cough - Set SCA, go walk around your ship ;)
This.

I just want the ability to buy a coffee mug from the store. Gift it to my Holo Me. Have him get up and go pour himself a cup of java. Put the mug on his dash. While sipping the real life version of a vanilla mocha and watching a full scale Federation v Empire battle somewhere in a star system at war. The special effects of capital ships warping into the instance never gets old :)

But is that better than what we have now which is a universal limpet that works with all controllers, yes it would free up slots but it would increase the number of limpets needed and make getting restocking wrong much more likely.
Sure it would one controller and you just buy the kind of limpets that you need. Limpets don't take up slots.

Sure it would one controller and you just buy the kind of limpets that you need. Limpets don't take up slots.
Yes they do, admittedly indirectly by being loaded into cargo racks which you will probably need more of this way or at least larger.

The limpets are already universal, restock only sells one type. What they do depends on the controller you selected in your fire groups when you pulled the trigger. All of that could be handled by a "Computer Bay" that only takes up one slot but has space for multiple "programs" within it based on size and class.

Pretty sure I posted this idea earlier, but why can't we have "program" upgrades as well?

The limpets are already universal, restock only sells one type. What they do depends on the controller you selected in your fire groups when you pulled the trigger. All of that could be handled by a "Computer Bay" that only takes up one slot but has space for multiple "programs" within it based on size and class.

Pretty sure I posted this idea earlier, but why can't we have "program" upgrades as well?

You could do that but it probably figures out pretty much the same as it does now if you assume smaller ships could fit only smaller universal limpet controllers, kind of how it is now. Otherwise every ship can run every limpet type, all ships become the same character and basically the whole exercise becomes a jump range nerf.

I mine in a Chieftain and have to do that without shields as very limited slots. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pilot and part of me wants my ship to be as pimped out as possible .. but squeezing a role out of a ship that it's not really designed for is (a) a challenge and (b) creates problems, pirates, that in my opinion stops the galaxy from turning into a vanilla fest.

FDev are wise to be wary of universal limpet controllers imo.

You could do that but it probably figures out pretty much the same as it does now if you assume smaller ships could fit only smaller universal limpet controllers, kind of how it is now. Otherwise every ship can run every limpet type, all ships become the same character and basically the whole exercise becomes a jump range nerf.

I mine in a Chieftain and have to do that without shields as very limited slots. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pilot and part of me wants my ship to be as pimped out as possible .. but squeezing a role out of a ship that it's not really designed for is (a) a challenge and (b) creates problems, pirates, that in my opinion stops the galaxy from turning into a vanilla fest.

FDev are wise to be wary of universal limpet controllers imo.
Agreed, but what if the Class 1E Computer Bay on a brand new Freewinder was only capable of holding two program cards simultaneously? One Advanced Docking Computer and one Supercruise Assist? Upgrade to a 1D for less mass but no extra programs, or a 1C the same mass as the 1E with 3 programs?

Keep going? 1B is heavier than 1A but holds the same number of programs (4) for less cost?

What that might open up, if the limit was a Class 1 Computer Bay fitted as CORE standard on all ships no matter how big they are, could be an additional progression layer on top of the current engineers such that continued use of their services eventually spawned missions to upgrade unique program software?

Imagine using legs to walk to the Computer Bay to physically swap out a specific functionality?

With something like this you could still use the Freewinder with one Collector Limpet program and one Prospector Limpet program instead of a huge chunk of hardware that's essentially a wifi router with a big antenna array that your ship probably already had on it for things like docking permission / HoloMe.

Last edited:
Agreed, but what if the Class 1E Computer Bay on a brand new Freewinder was only capable of holding two program cards simultaneously? One Advanced Docking Computer and one Supercruise Assist? Upgrade to a 1D for less mass but no extra programs, or a 1C the same mass as the 1E with 3 programs?

Keep going? 1B is heavier than 1A but holds the same number of programs (4) for less cost?

What that might open up, if the limit was a Class 1 Computer Bay fitted as CORE standard on all ships no matter how big they are, could be an additional progression layer on top of the current engineers such that continued use of their services eventually spawned missions to upgrade unique program software?

Imagine using legs to walk to the Computer Bay to physically swap out a specific functionality?

With something like this you could still use the Freewinder with one Collector Limpet program and one Prospector Limpet program instead of a huge chunk of hardware that's essentially a wifi router with a big antenna array that your ship probably already had on it for things like docking permission / HoloMe.
Please read Book 2, Starships, from Traveller. :)

I'm sure you're still in a stock Sidewinder for the same reasons. :rolleyes::D
Every new ship that you buy now comes with this...
OI vendor.. what is dis!
SOLD!

I can see why people would use it, but, meh it is too slow(only 3/4 throttle) so it means that journeys are longer if you just kick back and relax, which i suppose is cool, but ... time is money friend!

Fly save and vendor that SCA module.. seriously...

Top Bottom