Make CZs Context-Sensitive

My suggestion is simple - Combat Zones should be found around the assets that are "up for grabs" in a war, not over some random ice moon with zero assets. I realize we're not at the point where combat will happen around a contested station like we see in the trailers, but at the very least the CZs should be around the planet said station orbits. Then it would feel like we're fighting for control of that station, rather than saying, "Hey, let's fight way out here in the middle of nowhere!"

Immersion, baby, IMMERSION :D

Only problem I have with that is that the defender has a certain advantage by that. After some CZs you won't be able to land at the opposing starport, so handing in will be more difficult for attackers as they have to hand in elsewhere.

Only problem I have with that is that the defender has a certain advantage by that.
Sounds realistic to me, home court advantage and all that. However ------v

After some CZs you won't be able to land at the opposing starport, so handing in will be more difficult for attackers as they have to hand in elsewhere.
Why is this? I'm landing at a starport owned by the opposing faction, no problem.

Hmm, I always thought the actual fighting was over a few cubic km of space. After enough economic damage is done and enough SLF pilots have lost their lives, the faction leaders decide to agree "jolly good show, as a reward for your dogged determination to fight over literally nothing, here's one of our stations" and an asset gets handed over as a token of respect.

Hmm, I always thought the actual fighting was over a few cubic km of space. After enough economic damage is done and enough SLF pilots have lost their lives, the faction leaders decide to agree "jolly good show, as a reward for your dogged determination to fight over literally nothing, here's one of our stations" and an asset gets handed over as a token of respect.
This is now my headcanon.

Are you hostile? You get hostile quite fast by winning CZs.
I didn't realize that this happens. Ouch! However, I don't see how this relates to my suggestion. Like I said, I'm not suggesting that CZs happen AT the station (though that would be epic), but rather around the planet(s) of any station / outpost that's up for grabs. So is your concern that if a CZ happens near a 'hostile' station, you'll have to travel further in SC to get to a friendly one? If so, well, that's what the German Luftwaffe had to do after bombing England. Like I said, realistic.

I didn't realize that this happens. Ouch! However, I don't see how this relates to my suggestion. Like I said, I'm not suggesting that CZs happen AT the station (though that would be epic), but rather around the planet(s) of any station / outpost that's up for grabs. So is your concern that if a CZ happens near a 'hostile' station, you'll have to travel further in SC to get to a friendly one? If so, well, that's what the German Luftwaffe had to do after bombing England. Like I said, realistic.
Yes :)

Um, using my recent example, that's like the Luftwaffe and the Royal Air Force saying, "Let's fight off the coast of America, and whoever wins gets either England or Germany." It makes no sense at all....

Like I said in OP, in my case the battle is happening over a dead unlandable ice moon out in the middle of nowhere, not close or in between to ANY system assets.

If you want to argue further, I recommend we take it over to some random exploration thread and fight there, LOL.

Um, using my recent example, that's like the Luftwaffe and the Royal Air Force saying, "Let's fight off the coast of America, and whoever wins gets either England or Germany." It makes no sense at all....

Like I said in OP, in my case the battle is happening over a dead unlandable ice moon out in the middle of nowhere, not close or in between to ANY system assets.

If you want to argue further, I recommend we take it over to some random exploration thread and fight there, LOL.

While my first reply was quite tongue-in-cheek, it does fit what happens in the game - the two factions fight over literally nothing until one side gives in and pays reparations to their opponent. "Let's fight in orbit of this distant dead moon, and whoever wins gets either Wilfredson Orbital or Darren's Rest".

It basically has all the hallmarks of some kind of proxy war or gentleman's agreement. There's literally no reason to fight over a designated conflict zone outside of some kind of agreement to keep collateral damage to a minimum. It possibly involves faction heads meeting, acknowledging the tension between their peoples and preparing a suitable scenario to vent these tensions with the minimum amount of economic damage to both parties. Conflict in ED is a show of economic force and a way to remove surplus SLF pilots from the workforce rather than proper campaign over assets or to annihilate an opponent.

If war were to be an actual cutthroat battle of attrition, persistent CZs would be based around stations, RESs, Nav Beacons and megaships/capitals, while temporary CZs would be constantly cropping up as a result of interdictions of freighters and mercenaries as each side tries to grind the other into dust.

It's dumb, yes, but that's what it is currently.

Overall, I do agree that there should be more scope in the game for actual warfare rather than these agreed-upon skirmishes that we currently have. Maybe some kind of differentiation between "war" states and "total war", with the former being the current skirmishing as a show of force while the latter becomes the outright "us vs them" conflict that plunges the entire system into conflict, complete with pledges being system-wide and combat bonds being handed out for destroying even civilian ships of the opposing faction?

It basically has all the hallmarks of some kind of proxy war or gentleman's agreement. There's literally no reason to fight over a designated conflict zone outside of some kind of agreement to keep collateral damage to a minimum. ......

It's dumb, yes, but that's what it is currently.

I'm definitely not going to subscribe to "gentleman's agreement" for my headcanon. Right now the best I can come up with is that the leader of the opposition (I'm supporting the faction trying to overthrow the current ruler) is hiding down on this ice world like Hitler in his bunker, and we're battling in the skies to force his surrender. Still, what I ask for is a very simple tweak to the servers to put conflicts closer to the assets they are about. The idea of the American Fleet and Japanese Fleet meeting in the middle of the Pacific during WWII doesn't bother me, as that was where the assets were. The leaders would NEVER had said, "Hey, let's agree to meet in the Mediterranean Sea and battle it out there, winner takes all."

Like I said, what I ask for is a simple tweak to the server for better immersion. In the meantime, I'll do my best to conjure up something that makes sense.

(No offense)

Top Bottom