Make Black Holes a more Dangerous encounter

I propose that we work with the existing laws of physics and what we know about black holes, not invent an entirely knew type of physics that only applies to black holes.

Something like the original proposal could still work. The even horizon is not a razor thin line, though it would be small so the chances of you encountering it without slipping past the point would be very small indeed. Still possible though.

Well the internet must be wrong then. You think i got this stuff at school? I read it online. You should read more too :)

Also it "feels right" i beleive without understanding that we are probably inside a black hole and it is entirely possible they all contain if not a universe than a universe seed. Universes within universes within unverses. Read about torsion and planck objects that twist until they have nowhere else to go and then explode. Big bang. New universe.

Edit: Read the very first reply at the bottom of the article i linked.

Edit: Azmuth Divarchchron Incase your interested.
You are either the greatest troll
Or the greatest idiot

Remember kids, stay in school and dont skip basic 5th grade physics

Perhaps if ED were to offer a reason for pilots to venture closed to Black holes, there is no reason other than standing on the railroad track when a train is due simply because you're twelve.
If ED could ask for readings and provide a special bonus for complete readings of the event horizon and whatever (I'm sure that the many sci-fi/sci-fact buffs here could think of many) either way, a set of readings that are difficult to get and perhaps need a special module fitted where a mistake of dropping out of cruisespace would show you the rebuy screen, no messing for kicks, the larger the Black hole the greater the speed that the readings have to be taken at... perhaps only when facing the black hole, those readings might someday provide the technology to provide Hyperjumps with that right drive fitted...
Salvage missions, a la [insert just about every good scifi series here]. You have to get in close, scan a trapped ship or recover cargo from it, or send over fuel via limpets, etc. If not properly equipped, you'll get trapped by the black hole too.

I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. "Black holes pose no real danger?"

Whats not dangerous about a cosmic entity with enough gravitational force to rip apart a planet and trap light?

Black Holes break nearly every known law of physics. The only thing we really know about black holes are what they look like (as of 2019), how they're formed and what kind of havoc they cause on the universe. We don't know why they have an incredible gravitational pull other than "it's just really...really dense piece of matter." So are neutron stars, but even those can be explained more than a black hole

If we added in black holes into the game and someone got sucked it, what would happen? would they just get destroyed and go back to the last docked station or would they end up back at square one with a sidewinder and no money? Or would they end up in some random part of the galaxy? Frankly, all three would be fine with me. Would make going near a black hole risky af. Adding time dialation would add an interesting mechanic, but how would that play out? Relativity is already a fairly minor mechanic already since space time is basically just GMT. Someone gets too close a black hole, what, they get offset an hour until they log back on? Spend 5 minutes near a black hole and you're 5 hours behind type of thing?

10/10 would fly to Sag A* just to watch people spaghetify

I honestly wouldn't mind FDev taking a few creative liberties with black holes to make them more interesting. Accuracy is great, and ideally I'd rather have fun and scientific accuracy, but if one's gotta give...

Assuming it doesn't get completely absurd, that is.

One thing that has be compromised on, no matter what, is the time dilation effect. Obviously commanders have to remain in synch with the servers and can't use black holes to travel decades into the game's future, as nice as it would be to skip forward to atmospheres and space legs.

Make Black Holes a more Dangerous encounter

Yes.

maybe a random dice roll on a d10?

1-2 nothing happens
3-4 you get teleported to a random other black hole
5 you get warped back in time and you can only play 1980's Elite from now on... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
6-7 you get mass-locked and you get random module malfunctions and you can only escape with the right vector
8-9 Thargoids jump into your instance and start shooting green goo at you
10 - Your .. instant dead.

Last edited:
I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. "Black holes pose no real danger?"

Whats not dangerous about a cosmic entity with enough gravitational force to rip apart a planet and trap light?

Black Holes break nearly every known law of physics. The only thing we really know about black holes are what they look like (as of 2019), how they're formed and what kind of havoc they cause on the universe. We don't know why they have an incredible gravitational pull other than "it's just really...really dense piece of matter." So are neutron stars, but even those can be explained more than a black hole

If we added in black holes into the game and someone got sucked it, what would happen? would they just get destroyed and go back to the last docked station or would they end up back at square one with a sidewinder and no money? Or would they end up in some random part of the galaxy? Frankly, all three would be fine with me. Would make going near a black hole risky af. Adding time dialation would add an interesting mechanic, but how would that play out? Relativity is already a fairly minor mechanic already since space time is basically just GMT. Someone gets too close a black hole, what, they get offset an hour until they log back on? Spend 5 minutes near a black hole and you're 5 hours behind type of thing?

10/10 would fly to Sag A* just to watch people spaghetify
They pose no danger because they have no physics that can break the physics of the FSD in hyperspace state, the physics of the FSD in ther hyperspace state instantanerously overcome the physics of the black hole even if you dipped under the even horizon.

And the ship AI prevents you from getting near the black hole's gravity in nornal flight and supercruise using the FSD as a buffer.
Unless your ship litterally crashes into the black hole's core, they arent even remotely poweful enough to affect your ship in hyperspace.

Infact your ship poses a greater danger to the black hole than the hole does to your ship in this state.

Last edited:
No more magic supercruise / magic space junps / magic space aliens then ?

And why don't we have a magic touchstone that takes me straight back to my home base as was once requested? You do understand this is SciFi not fantasy, in SciFi we create a universe based on a set of rules that we follow to make a consistent and understandable setting. We have a set of rules that FDEV is following, and that is to create a galaxy as realistic as possible within the confines of our computers and then give us ways to interact with that universe. One of these rules is that gravity and objects subject to gravity behave the way they do in the real universe, so yes my desire to stick as closely as possible to actual physics is entirely reasonable.

You want magic go and play WoW.

No more magic supercruise / magic space junps / magic space aliens then ?
The fsd isnt magic, fdev has actually used real world physics and theories to make the FSD one of which is a principle called frame dragging. All astronomical bodies cause frame dragging to a certian degree in real life.

Last edited:
Real dangers/physics of a black hole:
  • Ripped apart by tidal forces.
  • Fried by radiation from the accretion disk or polar jets.
  • And, if you survive those, trapped in time for years, decades, centuries or even millennia.

So, I propose that, if players venture too close to a black hole, they are locked out of their accounts for several hundred years. ;)

Maybe you should not speak about things you do not understand, as you point out:

As someone holding a degree in physics, mathematics and computer science, with a book published at the CERN Research Library in Switzerland....

Black holes are regions of spacetime from which nothing, not even light, can escape. A typical black hole is the result of the gravitational force becoming so strong that one would have to travel faster than light to escape its pull. Such black holes generically contain a spacetime singularity at their center; thus we cannot fully understand a black hole without also understanding the nature of singularities.

Sorry, I fed the troll.

maybe the troll is a black hole as well 😉

Since you won't have the time to plot a destination star (unless this is done before hand), when you jump, it would be to a random star within jump range of your FSD and fuel.

What if it was like you describe, but at the the third or fourth orbit of the event horizon, we can use the black hole's gravity/energy/handwavium slingshot to get a 6 or 10 times FSD boost, but at the cost of horrendous damage to the FSD and other modules, assuming we go in with another star targeted?

So both an idiot and a troll
Got it

It doesnt matter how many insults you throw at me. You are shotgunning your B.S all over this thread and anybody who is able to use google will eventually find where my comments came from. I tryed to make a genuine contribution to this thread, i never meant to set you off. I also think you should stop shooting down other peopels ideas, wormholes could very easily be in game and explained by real life physics.

As someone holding a degree in physics, mathematics and computer science, with a book published at the CERN Research Library in Switzerland....

Perhaps i could learn something by reading your book. Whats it called?

Edit: you know singularitys arnt actually proven to exist yet right? I mean infinitely dense? Anywhere you read infinite in science its pretty much the same as saying god did it.

Last edited:
Real dangers/physics of a black hole:
  • Ripped apart by tidal forces.
  • Fried by radiation from the accretion disk or polar jets.
  • And, if you survive those, trapped in time for years, decades, centuries or even millennia.
So, I propose that, if players venture too close to a black hole, they are locked out of their accounts for several hundred years. ;)

Seconded

They pose no danger because they have no physics that can break the physics of the FSD in hyperspace state, the physics of the FSD in ther hyperspace state instantanerously overcome the physics of the black hole even if you dipped under the even horizon.

And the ship AI prevents you from getting near the black hole's gravity in nornal flight and supercruise using the FSD as a buffer.
Unless your ship litterally crashes into the black hole's core, they arent even remotely poweful enough to affect your ship in hyperspace.

Infact your ship poses a greater danger to the black hole than the hole does to your ship in this state.

In elite dangerous maybe. But a video game is not real life. I think Black Holes in game were meant to just be points of interest as opposed to something that can actually kill you.

I feel like you should word your argument better so people like me don't get confused and think you're implying black holes in real life pose no danger, which is just absurd to believe because you can't get any more dangerous than a black hole. the OP understands that black holes are kind of wimpy in game, hence the purpose of the thread

Last edited:
Seconded

In elite dangerous maybe. But a video game is not real life. I think Black Holes in game were meant to just be points of interest as opposed to something that can actually kill you.

I feel like you should word your argument better so people like me don't get confused and think you're implying black holes in real life pose no danger, which is just absurd to believe because you can't get any more dangerous than a black hole. the OP understands that black holes are kind of wimpy in game, hence the purpose of the thread
Its a video game based on physics in real life though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2/an_explanation_of_the_fsd_by_cmdr_azmuth/

Top Bottom