Cockpit Mode Warnings

May have been raised before (forgive me - I just came back after a long break).

So we now have cockpit mode. If you are in the wrong one, it complains
I guess that the reason for the mode was that you can layer your fire groups... so you can have pulse lazer on 1 and also discovery scanner on 1, depending on which cockpit mode you are in (really cool design). But my experience is that it complains that you are in the wrong mode all the time.

Can this be resolved somehow? Smart warnings or warnings that you can turn off

When i first tried to set this up, I found that I could not use the same button, in both modes. This may have changed, or I could just be doing it wrong.

Most of the time, I have to change mode and then, change the fire group. I have yet to find a way to improve this, which is a pain.

I guess that the reason for the mode was that you can layer your fire groups... so you can have pulse lazer on 1 and also discovery scanner on 1, depending on which cockpit mode you are in (really cool design). But my experience is that it complains that you are in the wrong mode all the time.
Well, you're getting the warning all the time because you're mixing the modes in a firegroup - if you don't do that then the warning is far less common. Though really they should disable stuff in the wrong mode (which is I think what you are suggesting), as has been suggested regularly since they introduced them. Maybe in September....

When i first tried to set this up, I found that I could not use the same button, in both modes. This may have changed, or I could just be doing it wrong.

Most of the time, I have to change mode and then, change the fire group. I have yet to find a way to improve this, which is a pain.
Same. You can select the option "surface scanner" but it doesn't matter which button you use if you are in combat mode, it won't work.

Same. You can select the option "surface scanner" but it doesn't matter which button you use if you are in combat mode, it won't work.
I use keyboard exclusively, so things get a bit limited. I have learnt to change mode and then fire group, so tht it is second nature. But I do have issue with the fact, that if I allocate a key to do something in one mode, I cannot use the same key, in the other mode. That to me, is just stupid.

Can this be resolved somehow? Smart warnings or warnings that you can turn off
It has been complained about before, and FD should arguably address the problem as a nominal matter of priority along with the mess of other issues they introduced with the 3.3 update.

I still don't see the purpose of cockpit modes except to determine if we see DSS augmented reality in our HUD or not. Make that a switch like Orbit Lines and do away with these modes altogether.

I still don't see the purpose of cockpit modes except to determine if we see DSS augmented reality in our HUD or not. Make that a switch like Orbit Lines and do away with these modes altogether.
Alternatively allow the FSS/DSS to be operated in any mode and make the "Analysis Mode" a cockpit based version of the FSS... fly-and-approach rather than pan-and-zoom at least then the "Analysis Mode" would actually make sense and those that preferred the legacy approach to exploration would regain some of the experience they enjoyed.

And do away with the cockpit mode warnings completely.

As a pure explorer, I don't need "combat mode" but there seems to be no way to avoid using it, or dealing with the warning.
Alternatively allow the FSS/DSS to be operated in any mode
Ironically the FSS can be used in any mode. The problem is that it switches you to Analysis mode on exit. When I'm running missions, I have no use for Analysis mode, but I'm using the FSS all the time to find my next target. It's a big pain to have to switch back to Combat Mode every single time I use the FSS, especially when I'm thrown into a combat situation unexpectedly (like being interdicted when using the FSS).

Ironically the FSS can be used in any mode.
Then the warnings myself and others are getting are a figment of our imaginations? …. I think not.

The half baked solution we have now needs dire rework on many counts - analysis/combat mode and associated warnings are just the tip of the ice berg wrt how much rework FD really need to do.

Then the warnings myself and others are getting are a figment of our imaginations?
I have no idea what the issue is for you, but I can activate my FSS while in Combat mode on my PS4. I do it ALL THE TIME. The DSS (probe launcher) is a different story..

I have no idea what the issue is for you, but I can activate my FSS while in Combat mode on my PS4. I do it ALL THE TIME. The DSS (probe launcher) is a different story..
The problem may have been one that was only there at release of 3.3 but has since been changed (just checked - PC Platform here) - either way the fact is the FSS requires you to be in analysis mode for the stupid thing to operate (the honk is still a thing and only works in analysis mode) and given the way it has been implemented there is no question that analysis mode is singularly the most pointless, useless, and annoying concept implemented by FD - even worse than blob-hunt and space-golf.

Deleted member 38366

D
Activating a split combo will unfortunately always put out a warning for the device not intended for the current Mode.

FSS is an exception, since it leaves the HUD mode and enters its own mode, thus it isn't affected.
But other than that, there's no way to avoid the Warning (AFAIK there's no in-game Option to disable HUD warnings).

The only means is to either
  • accept and ignore the Messages (i.e. you have a KWS in the same Group as the DSS)
  • or split the functions according to Modes (I personally do that)
IMHO it would be useful to have the HUD Mode automatically switch to the appropriate function instead of blocking function in favor of a warning Message.
(after all, both the FSS and DSS in SuperCruise will already work just fine even when initiated from Combat Mode; those also don't fail with a HUD Message "Switch to Analysis Mode")

Last edited by a moderator:
The only means is to either
  • accept and ignore the Messages (i.e. you have a KWS in the same Group as the DSS)
  • or split the functions according to Modes (I personally do that)
Ultimately, neither option is acceptable IMO - there is no legitimate reason for the warnings or mode segregation/switching in the first place.

Last edited:
Ultimately, neither option is acceptable IMO - there is no legitimate reason for the warnings or mode segregation/switching in the first place.
I like the modes themselves. For example, I have my FSD Interdictor and my Detailed Surface Scanner on the same trigger if I have both fitted, and the mode determines which gets used.

The warnings are annoying though, because with this setup I ALWAYS get a warning, because the mode is right for one module but not the other.

I'd like to see some extra options under the right side ship options panel: mode warnings on/off and maybe universal mode on/off. Universal Mode would basically mean that any module can be used in any mode, if turned off the modes would function as usual.

This setup would allow FDev to add modes if more are needed for future features, but also allows pilots to simplify their controls for focused ship builds.

Which makes one wonder why the Discovery scanner is different.

No idea, but this is the best idea I’ve seen in this thread.

There should be an option in the "fire group screen", which allows you determine which "cockpit mode" is assigned to each "fire group", combat or analysis. This way, you can tie weapons, ship scanners to "combat mode", and the planet, FSS, and surface scanners to "analysis mode", done for each "fire groups" as you assign each group.

Which makes one wonder why the Discovery scanner is different.
When I'm using the FSS to find mission targets, USS, etc, I honk from inside the FSS, bypassing the need to switch to Analysis Mode first. Unfortunately it switches me to that mode automatically when I exit the FSS :(

Top Bottom