An owners proposal, for the public Cobra Exclusive.

Ok, here’s a serious question, for the Frontier Department of Skimming the Forums, the C4 Entitleists and those so desperate to get their hands on one:

How would each of you feel if the C4 were not made available for general consumption, but rather awarded as a prize either as a one-shot reward or for some annual or randomly recurring competition, to the first place winner of said competition?

Would you Excusivists feel violated by this?
Would those so hard up for this be accepting of this?
Frontier, would you be willing to make such an offering?

Ok, here’s a serious question, for the Frontier Department of Skimming the Forums, the C4 Entitleists and those so desperate to get their hands on one:

How would each of you feel if the C4 were not made available for general consumption, but rather awarded as a prize either as a one-shot reward or for some annual or randomly recurring competition, to the first place winner of said competition?

Would you Excusivists feel violated by this?
Would those so hard up for this be accepting of this?
Frontier, would you be willing to make such an offering?
Frontier is not going to reply.
One shot reward. For how many? Just the one, no problem.
Exclusivists? Interesting word, no matter how you spell it. Looks like a kind of branding or labelling. Like a form of activist. Where as the reality is: That most of the opposition, is purely based on the facts, of the contract and for those who claim, 'what contract?' or 'where is you proof?' Well F.Ds actions on the subject, over a number of years; answers that question. They have not, or will not, offer the Cobra IV again.
Myself: I have no issue, with awarding a token Cobra IV, a competition prize. But no numbers, of how many winners, have been offered as an example.

To all those people that want the Cobra MkIV and complaining that they can't have it....you also can't have those exclusive paint jobs from the various pax/lavcon etc over the years. Nor can you have that one off cow paint job for the type-9 and so on. Things are exclusive for a reason. deal with it.

How about this as a way around the current dilemma. Offer an option in the shipyard to slap a couple of conformal pods on a Cobra Mk3. One a size 4 slot, and the other with two size 3 slots. Speed reduced and performance adjusted appropriately when the pods are installed. Then all Commanders can get the utility of the Mk4, while keeping the Mk4 an exclusive.

How about this as a way around the current dilemma. Offer an option in the shipyard to slap a couple of conformal pods on a Cobra Mk3. One a size 4 slot, and the other with two size 3 slots. Speed reduced and performance adjusted appropriately when the pods are installed. Then all Commanders can get the utility of the Mk4, while keeping the Mk4 an exclusive.
If you can do it for one ship. Then it should be an option, for all ships. That would be a can of worms, not to be opened.

It is a reasonable idea though.

No cosmetics are and never will. The Cobra IV on the other hand is a game asset.

So is my ringed planet decal.
I use it in game.
I have it decorating the Cobra Mk IV hull that I've got stored in the space-dock somewhere in the galaxy. (No idea where, though).

I'm curious on what you think you need a Cobra Mk IV to do, that isn't also doable in another ship?

It can be a great alrounder with plenty of internals and guns at a very low price, ideal for new players.

Other ships are also great all rounders with adequate internals and low prices, ideal for new players.... It is moot whether the Cobra MkIV is a "more suitable" ship for anything the game has to offer.

As a side-note - FDev have been "clever" (or lucky?) - in order to totally prevent the allegation of "Pay to Win" - which would have been possible if the Cobra MkIV had been a "good" ship. With the Cobra MkIV the way that it is (not great! merely "adequate"), allegations of "Pay to Win" are implausible, practically speaking, because there are better or at least equally suitable ships available for different aspects of the game, all at "similar" in game credits, etc.

Ultimately, I can't understand why any sane person would accept an organisation breaking their own word.
Even worse, I don't understand why any sane person would campaign for an organisation to break it's own promises - promises that it had given to it's customers - which then sets a precedent for the organisation to break it's own word to that very person who campaigned this way.
That, to my mind, just does not make any sense whatsoever.

To all those people that want the Cobra MkIV and complaining that they can't have it....you also can't have those exclusive paint jobs from the various pax/lavcon etc over the years. Nor can you have that one off cow paint job for the type-9 and so on. Things are exclusive for a reason. deal with it.

Are those paintjobs advertised on the ED official site as obtainable? I think not
The C4 (still) is.

Edit: also a paintjob is not affecting gameplay
A (missing but advertised) ship that is easily obtainable in early game will affect a noob's gameplay

Last edited:
I think we have discussed ad nauseum already that FD already has set precedents of broken promises, so that argument is out of the window. And there is the fact thaat FD themselves and the I dare say majority of players see the exclusiveness of the Cobra IV as a mistake made, a mistake that should be allowed to be corrected. That's the point of view from which I'm campaigning.

I think we have discussed ad nauseum already that FD already has set precedents of broken promises, so that argument is out of the window. And there is the fact thaat FD themselves and the I dare say majority of players see the exclusiveness of the Cobra IV as a mistake made, a mistake that should be allowed to be corrected. That's the point of view from which I'm campaigning.

No - I totally disagree about an argument being "out of the window", that's just hogwash.

Just because somebody broke their promise before, doesn't mean they can break further promises without further consequences.

Ever heard of "a step too far", or "straw that broke the camel's back" - and you are the one encouraging, nee, demanding, further promise breaking. The pointof view from which you're campaigning makes no logical sense.

A guy ran over a child, killed them and they went to prison for 10 years - so when they come out, by your token they should be allowed to run down more children - this the direct consequence of your campaign in an analogy that I really hope you begin to understand.

Everyone should be holding FDev to account for any broken promises and demanding that they "better not break any more promises". Not the other way around.

Top Bottom