Elite Dangerous into Xbox Game Pass [updated 2021]

I have to start by stating that I have absolutely no data or idea about the user base for Elite Dangerous on Xbox One. Only Microsoft and Frontier have reliable numbers on this. Maybe they are satisfied with the performance of the game, I don't know. What I do know, however, is how Xbox Game Pass would help the game gain further popularity. Many developers have publishers have already said that being in Xbox Game Pass means two things:

1. Exponentially more players play the game, because Game Pass acts like a continuous advertisement, highlighting titles all the time.
2. Games often actually sell more units when in Game Pass, possibly because more people try the game out and buy to keep it, since most games are in only temporarily.

So in practice Xbox Game Pass would mean a lot of new Elite players, who would probably spend money on either the base game, the Horizons expansion or cosmetic items (even though they get a discount on Game Pass games and DLC, it would mean much more revenue for Frontier). I don't know if anyone from the developers read this but I would definitely recommend considering joining Game Pass, even for a few months, maybe half a year or anything. Ongoing "service-based" games like Elite thrive as the active player base grows, and this move would introduce a lot of new players to the game, who otherwise wouldn't try it. And, seeing how some of my friends got stuck with the game, I'm sure many others would, too.

In principle, I wouldn't see an issue with ED moving into game pass. However, I would hope that the extra CMDR's that it may bring along with this happening would make a valuable & worthwhile addition to the existing wider community and it's sub communities in turn. But, there is wider scope for the opposite to occur, regrettably.

Putting that issue aside the points you have raised make compelling reading, I would broadly agree. However, I think there is scope for a deterioration of our current fragile balance. We have enough fools, lets not open the door wide open for a ton more.

What could be interesting is adding say the CQC element to the current game pass line up. This would also generate new interest, and also populate it a bit more. 🤷‍♂️

This game has such a heavy learning curve it steers people away. For example, I purchased this game on PC when it first came out I think I even pre ordered, was trash at it and it wasn't' really my type of game. I've seen elite twice already this year on sale for like 20$ in microsoft store. full price is 65$ Fast forward to three weeks ago I currently have no computer just an xbox, my squad and I were in DAYZ hating how no updates forever and so much duping when one of my guys says, I just wish there was a good space game out there, I mention elite dangerous but it's really hard to get into. Looks amazing once you are in though. A couple of them seem willing and one says the game looks lame. We decide we will wait for it to go on sale again and try it as a group. 5 mins later we all bought and downloaded it full price 65$, wife went ahead and got a copy too. I went out the next day and bought a hotas flight stick. Two days later the guy in squad that said the game looked lame bought it too. We all played everyday together learned the game pretty good over the next cpl weeks, but I think I'm the only one who tried to commit as they are all frustrated whne they cann't figure something out and just put it down instead of try to learn . DAYZ update came out and now im a lone ELITE player in a party of dayz players. games like elite dont give you that instant rush of adrenaline constantly and thats what players seem to crave xbox players especiailly. which then gives way to a new problem every new player just looks up the best cheese spot to go get stuff quick and that dumbs down the game and there is no sense of discovery all it teaches you is how to have something handed to you . I hear all these guys in party and its horrid . look it up on youtube ok everyone go to the maia system to buy your meta alloy.. I was the only player that straight out refused to do that just because it was said. albeit I used this forum to ask how to know where to get a meta alloy but was able to be answered with logic about using the codex and was able to locate meta alloy in game and upon learning that have not had to refer back to the internet as all answeres are in game you jsut have to learn them. Personally I don't like game pass but this game might just need to go there to encourage new players to start playing. If it does go there just the core game should that way plyaers have some incentive to buy horizons or the full package should they likeit and not alway s use game pass

This game has such a heavy learning curve it steers people away. For example, I purchased this game on PC when it first came out I think I even pre ordered, was trash at it and it wasn't' really my type of game. I've seen elite twice already this year on sale for like 20$ in microsoft store. full price is 65$ Fast forward to three weeks ago I currently have no computer just an xbox, my squad and I were in DAYZ hating how no updates forever and so much duping when one of my guys says, I just wish there was a good space game out there, I mention elite dangerous but it's really hard to get into. Looks amazing once you are in though. A couple of them seem willing and one says the game looks lame. We decide we will wait for it to go on sale again and try it as a group. 5 mins later we all bought and downloaded it full price 65$, wife went ahead and got a copy too. I went out the next day and bought a hotas flight stick. Two days later the guy in squad that said the game looked lame bought it too. We all played everyday together learned the game pretty good over the next cpl weeks, but I think I'm the only one who tried to commit as they are all frustrated whne they cann't figure something out and just put it down instead of try to learn . DAYZ update came out and now im a lone ELITE player in a party of dayz players. games like elite dont give you that instant rush of adrenaline constantly and thats what players seem to crave xbox players especiailly. which then gives way to a new problem every new player just looks up the best cheese spot to go get stuff quick and that dumbs down the game and there is no sense of discovery all it teaches you is how to have something handed to you . I hear all these guys in party and its horrid . look it up on youtube ok everyone go to the maia system to buy your meta alloy.. I was the only player that straight out refused to do that just because it was said. albeit I used this forum to ask how to know where to get a meta alloy but was able to be answered with logic about using the codex and was able to locate meta alloy in game and upon learning that have not had to refer back to the internet as all answeres are in game you jsut have to learn them. Personally I don't like game pass but this game might just need to go there to encourage new players to start playing. If it does go there just the core game should that way plyaers have some incentive to buy horizons or the full package should they likeit and not alway s use game pass
Believe me, it's not just Xbox players that seem to have developed the attention span of a gang of wasps ;)

Yesterday I watched 2 guys started playing the game. They said 'we are tough, we skip training missions' and started in medias res. It was a mistake. This game can be hard to newcomers even with the training missions, I remember I got tons of help for example from the OP, and from my brother too. Put the game into Game Pass is a good idea, the question is to how many of the newcomers have enough time/power to learn and let to the game to show how deep itself. Anyway, there is a + for your idea, Dear dreampage.

In principle, I wouldn't see an issue with ED moving into game pass. However, I would hope that the extra CMDR's that it may bring along with this happening would make a valuable & worthwhile addition to the existing wider community and it's sub communities in turn. But, there is wider scope for the opposite to occur, regrettably.

Putting that issue aside the points you have raised make compelling reading, I would broadly agree. However, I think there is scope for a deterioration of our current fragile balance. We have enough fools, lets not open the door wide open for a ton more.

What could be interesting is adding say the CQC element to the current game pass line up. This would also generate new interest, and also populate it a bit more. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t see this as much of a problem. As others have said this game has a huge learning curve. Any “fools” will be weeded out very quickly.

I think the real question is: with the next DLC over a year away, how would FDev time this for maximum results?

If ED goes on Game Pass right now it might hook a few players, but others may leave during the hiatus.

If FDev waits for Game Pass to coincide with the big DLC they might carry more momentum, at the expense of losing a year of extra revenue. And it still might get overshadowed by the hype around the next gen consoles.

Sort of a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” conundrum there. I guess the answer depends on how big FDev is planning to go on the DLC.

Last edited:
I too think that due to the learning curve only the more dedicated players would stick with the game. This is why the starter systems are a good idea. In Game Pass, many many players would try the game out. If they are not interested or scared away by the learning curve, at least they tried it and generated more engagement around the game. But a portion of those players would stick with it, even though otherwise they wouldn't have purchased it, maybe due to its reputation of being hard, or because they didn't discover it. Game Pass would provide much better discoverability for Elite. And I don't think that many new players would become skilled gankers/pirates/whatever troublemakers just because it's in Game Pass. Overall both we and Frontier would win. I'll be curious to see whether the game joins in the future.

Also, as a sidenote, a big current space game, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will not be released on Xbox, at the same time it will probably generate much buzz around the genre. It would be a good time to promote Elite on Xbox with Game Pass, thus probably even more people would take a look at it.

I too think that due to the learning curve only the more dedicated players would stick with the game. This is why the starter systems are a good idea. In Game Pass, many many players would try the game out. If they are not interested or scared away by the learning curve, at least they tried it and generated more engagement around the game. But a portion of those players would stick with it, even though otherwise they wouldn't have purchased it, maybe due to its reputation of being hard, or because they didn't discover it. Game Pass would provide much better discoverability for Elite. And I don't think that many new players would become skilled gankers/pirates/whatever troublemakers just because it's in Game Pass. Overall both we and Frontier would win. I'll be curious to see whether the game joins in the future.

Also, as a sidenote, a big current space game, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will not be released on Xbox, at the same time it will probably generate much buzz around the genre. It would be a good time to promote Elite on Xbox with Game Pass, thus probably even more people would take a look at it.
Aaahh, finally an intelligent thread with intelligent people contributing. Does not surprise me that they're all Xbone players! 😀

I don't see the hiatus being an issue for new players. Those that stick around and have the patience to learn the game will have plenty to do. It's those of us who have been here for a while trying to create new things to do and see till next year. I say put it in there. Any additional PR should be good for Elite for revenue and the fact it gets ZERO PR in the states. It's a word of mouth game here. Didn't even know it existed till I ran across it on Twitch about 3 years ago. Then when it hit the consoles, a handful of commercials dropped then they disappeared again.

Fleet carriers has the potential to be huge, as long as there are story updates over the 6 months a hiatus would not be the end of the galaxy. Plus if fleet carriers are coming, gigantic ships may be the next thing to follow.

Elite was just on a huge sale on Steam so maybe more players coming in there, but on Xbox it wouldn't hurt to give it some visibility. I've always been bummed CQC wasn't it's own little F2P, since that would bring folks in and populate matches, and tempt people into the full game.

My lads want to play but I'm not shelling out for three Elites and three Horizons (along with our three Ultimate Game Passes) just for them to give up in a day 😩
A shame, the game was on quite the sale at the beginning of the month on Steam. I think it was $18 all told for Base + Horizons.

Maybe one of those cheeky free weekend deals, once the new player experience exists.

I wish it could be added to gamepass also, I only recently started playing it on the xbox and am immersed in it. It would be amazing if i could just go and earn a few credits whilst i, on breaks etc. I have been with gamepass streaming ever since it was project cloud and it great, although you tend to play the same games and as much as i enjoy No Mans Sky, its not a patch on Elite

A shame, the game was on quite the sale at the beginning of the month on Steam. I think it was $18 all told for Base + Horizons.

Maybe one of those cheeky free weekend deals, once the new player experience exists.

Holy Smokes! Ezren is back on the forums! Good to see you’re alive!

Top Bottom