Diamondback Scout is SAD

I have never done video capture of my vidya and don't care to get that ball rolling in order to prove myself to anons on a forum.

Avoiding the firing arc of a Corvette/Anaconda in a G5d DBS is not a feat by any stretch of the imagination. Be aggressive, don't boost and use vertical/lateral thrusters. Were Elite assassination missions pitting me against FAS/FDLs, I wouldn't be able to say the same. I have to switch to my Chieftain for Wing assassinations because my DBS that can takedown 10 Corvettes lined up takes a brutal beating against an FDL with Vulture wingmates. The same Chieftain can not, however, fight Corvettes while avoiding being hit.

Edit: By "stacking" Assassination missions, I mean ~10. I'd say 60% of my fights against Corvettes/Anacondas with my shieldless DBS result in zero damage taken. The other 40% land a stray round or two through the chaff during the second i'm in their arc.

Also, regarding module damage, why are you doing combat without MRP/AFMU? In the circumstances I receive a malfunction I break off to a safe orbit, repair, and get back in. I should also add that the Double Braced experimental is great.

Last edited:
I have never done video capture of my vidya and don't care to get that ball rolling in order to prove myself to anons on a forum.

Avoiding the firing arc of a Corvette/Anaconda in a G5d DBS is not a feat by any stretch of the imagination. Be aggressive, don't boost and use vertical/lateral thrusters. Were Elite assassination missions pitting me against FAS/FDLs, I wouldn't be able to say the same. I have to switch to my Chieftain for Wing assassinations because my DBS that can takedown 10 Corvettes lined up takes a brutal beating against an FDL with Vulture wingmates. The same Chieftain can not, however, fight Corvettes while avoiding being hit.

With respect, an Anaconda or Corvette pulling full reverski on you will bring its guns to bare. The DBS is a good ship, but the physics of the game are such that any engineered ship that wishes to do so can point its nose at you simply by throwing its thrusters in reverse. At that point you have the option to boost, or to run. It is certainly possible to win the engagement, but at 95% I find it difficult to believe unless the AI glitched and didn't fire at you.

Get in a ship that boosts in the 300s and try to reverski a ship that cruises at 485.

Let me know how it works out. 😉

Also, I do not use boost in my DBS. Much easier to stick on targets without it, not needed unless fighting fast small ships.

Any advice gratefully received.

I'm using TM Hotas X with joystick curves & yeah I know I could split the hardpoints on different triggers but I'm short of buttons as it is. :D

First, get your Thrusters to g5.

Second, your goal in a DBS against large ships is to stay as close as possible, literally, and out of their firing arc. When a large ship makes a joust pass at you, for example, you should slow down as they approach and turn around, in anticipation of them having to come to a near halt as they turn around. This is a window of time you can be 10m from their belly within seconds. Once there, use your vertical/lateral thrusters to keep a good position and just stick on them. If they boost away, do not boost after them, you will likely over shoot. Just consistently try to close distance and anticipate their moves.

2015 called and they want their ship back. :p

7MBmkgB.jpg

↑ The last time I really bothered with it. Just saying. Nice enough looking ship and a bit of fun to fly, just not much reason to, but to each their own.

Cheers.

Edit: By "stacking" Assassination missions, I mean ~10. I'd say 60% of my fights against Corvettes/Anacondas with my shieldless DBS result in zero damage taken. The other 40% land a stray round or two through the chaff during the second i'm in their arc.

Also, regarding module damage, why are you doing combat without MRP/AFMU? In the circumstances I receive a malfunction I break off to a safe orbit, repair, and get back in. I should also add that the Double Braced experimental is great.
Hmmm, the first line of your post came across as a bit disrespectful - I for one, clarified that I merely wanted a vid as a learning tool, not for you to "prove" yourself. Nosleepdemon, I believe, was simply expressing similar doubts due to the DBS's rather poor acceleration in relation to some of the other small fighters ie Viper & as I understand from the forums, the Courier too. Hence we both just wanted to see this for the purpose of edification, not to show you up.

But thanks for the additional advice anyway. One thing I would mention is that I did use that particular technique when I first started a couple of months ago with some good results against the big ships as you described, however the first few times I fought players using a conda/corvette, I realised it just doesn't work (at my skill level, anyway) hence I now perma-boost against NPCs to simulate the salient dueling conditions with reference to flight control & aiming...as far as is possible with the pitiful AI, of course.

& Ouberos, thanks for the kind words; although I suspect this is akin to a mom's encouragement to her child by pinning a terrible painting onto the fridge.

2015 called and they want their ship back. :p

7MBmkgB.jpg

↑ The last time I really bothered with it. Just saying. Nice enough looking ship and a bit of fun to fly, just not much reason to, but to each their own.

Cheers.
This from a guy who goes exploring in a Vulture...hmmm! :p

I took mine to the core and gave up. I hopped out and EVA'd back to the bubble but not to worry - I'm planning to return to it on the next galactic orbit, the fuel tank should be refilled by then.
Been to beagle point and back in my DBX. Now done it in my Krait MK2 and currently on my way back.

This from a guy who goes exploring in a Vulture...hmmm! :p

Been to beagle point and back in my DBX. Now done it in my Krait MK2 and currently on my way back.
I'd rather take a Vulture... :D Funny enough, the slow fuel scoop on the DbS I took to the core and back in 2015 is kind of what kick-started me exploring in a Vulture.

Don't get me wrong though; I'm not recommending everyone go exploring in a Vulture.

Cheers. o7

Last edited:
Of course it's sad, it's a Diamond Back Scout. Number 2 in useless ships, right behind the Asp Scout, and only a molecule ahead of the Hauler.
Be gone oh Netflix watching, impervious shield & skill booster merchant! This is a thread for pilots who like a challenge, not comfy tartan slippers & a mug of cocoa before an afternoon nap.

..& besides, with statements like yours defaming the mighty DBS, I might do you for liable !

Of course it's sad, it's a Diamond Back Scout. Number 2 in useless ships, right behind the Asp Scout, and only a molecule ahead of the Hauler.

Translation - "I can not dogfight."

Cool story bro. Not something I'd be barging into threads dedicated to a dogfighter and announcing, but to each their own I suppose.

Its not a useless ship, its one of only a few good fighter craft that also has a long range. Compared to the Viper MkIII, its slightly slower and can't fit enhanced performance thrusters, but its also much more agile, with a stronger hull, and four utility mounts allowing it to achieve much stronger shields as well. It also features excellent hardpoint placement and has the second best heat management of any ship in the game. All this while being able to jump 40+ LY engineered.

It is a little bit of a niche vessel, I'll grant you that, but its certainly not useless.

Top Bottom