Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I've accidentally acquired a Freighter Fleet.

Rescued some git guds from a few pirates, the captain asks me aboard next thing I know hes asking me if i want to take over! I thought it might be a temporary thing like getting a test drive...bit no...now i own a freighter and combat frigate along with my Del Boy Trotter mobile hauler! I've already sent them out to find some betamax copies of match of the day 1972.

I appreciate the heads up! Any idea what this latest update brings? Until I'm able go somewhere with bandwidth, at least I can still play NMS in offline mode without updating.
Just bug fixes ... in there post...

Reduce texture quality if it is causing an out of memory error.

Revert to the non-device-local heap in low memory situations.
Removed misleading version number from main menu.
Fix to prevent issues with base ownership.
Fix for freighter crash related to corrupt ship slot.
Fixed a networking issue that could cause bad data to be synced between ambient players.
Fix for a matchmaking threading crash.
Prevention of players orphaned in a lobby.
Dynamically limit base building limits to allow some very large bases to load in more situations.
Don’t let the VR player punch in places they aren’t allow to use weapons.

Those two under lined drop graphics details even lower...

ps - your signature takes up way too much screen real estate...
If its to big talk to Fdev its what ever size they set it to allow on the forum... every one else may be "tiny" but thats because they don;t know how sites works...
Just like those who can only fly a T7 and can't stand T9 or cutter... little is not always best..

I've owned NMS since it came out, but this is the first time I've ever really been hooked in to scratching below the surface. With Beyond's release, I'm mildly surprised to find that it's surprisingly fun to play now. Not very difficult, but relaxing and colorful.
What I appreciate most about NMS (and this goes with the missions system) is that I can much easier go in and out in a short time (except for loading time) and just do a few things and get them done and then exit or leave the game running and come back later. Elite, especially missions, require a dedicated time. I have to commit in Elite to time and effort. NMS is more of just play time, have some fun.

I've accidentally acquired a Freighter Fleet.

Rescued some git guds from a few pirates, the captain asks me aboard next thing I know hes asking me if i want to take over! I thought it might be a temporary thing like getting a test drive...bit no...now i own a freighter and combat frigate along with my Del Boy Trotter mobile hauler! I've already sent them out to find some betamax copies of match of the day 1972.
Yup. It's the cheapest way to get a freighter. You can also pay for a new one or upgraded ones, just know that any "base building" you do inside the freighter is lost if you switch. Also, you can increase your fleet up to 35 ships (I think the limit is), and try to get a good mix of combat, exploration, support, and trade, and use a mix of them for the mixed missions.

Another thing, your combat frigates can send fighters if you get into a fight with pirates, but it has to be nearby.

Only portable refiner at start. I'm playing this update from scratch.

Had to buy the blueprint at the Nexus for 10 salvage items, I think it was.
Tried again with a new (since the old one didn't save at all) save, and wouldn't you know it? This time I start almost right beside it. I managed to get the ship almost repaired, but that took quite a bit of shooting trees, rocks, writhing tentacles, and other things.

Great tips and that one about base building...very useful
Another tip, get the Roamer blue print early on. When you build your first base on a planet and want to explore it, hunt for resources and buried treasures and such, it saves you time to drive rather than walk, also it provides protection from weather, and it doesn't waste your life bar, and it gives you extra storage. All good things. And get a save-beacon to carry with you.

edit; but it's useless for mining or combat. Don't even bother getting the mining laser on any of the exocrafts. They're slow, less output of materials, and the aim is completely wrong. It's faster and more results jumping out and using your multitool to mine.

Last edited:
Tried again with a new (since the old one didn't save at all) save, and wouldn't you know it? This time I start almost right beside it. I managed to get the ship almost repaired, but that took quite a bit of shooting trees, rocks, writhing tentacles, and other things.
There's still some mining and shooting involved to get going for sure, but it's definitely better/easier than older versions.

Think for vr I will have to wait for a patch to use gamepad as I got my occulus before they came bundled with touch controllers. Looked good but couldn't turn lol Sticking to 2d for now :)

Just a quick tip I stumbled on when starting a new game...
If you see any Graves with your F scanner, dig them up. Don't ignore them. Each set of bones is worth minimum 100,000 credits. One rare set I found was 700,000. A single grave site netted me around 2M credits. They must be rare because I haven't seen any since.

It allowed me to upgrade to a much larger ship very early on. :)

Just a quick tip I stumbled on when starting a new game...
If you see any Graves with your F scanner, dig them up. Don't ignore them. Each set of bones is worth minimum 100,000 credits. One rare set I found was 700,000. A single grave site netted me around 2M credits. They must be rare because I haven't seen any since.

It allowed me to upgrade to a much larger ship very early on. :)
Good tip. Forgot about how much they pay. I think scanning the planets from space reveals if it has fossils, right?

I specifically look for planets with "Ancient bones" as described. I dont know if there are other descriptions yet.

I happened across one moon early on and found a cache which netted 900k. Since then I've always tried to make sure any system I want to hang around in has one in it.

I'll try to remember that for the next game I start, since I'm certainly not going to continue with this one. We can craft those right away I hope?

No, you have to research the recipe first. The fastest way to get an early save point is to find your ship. Get in/get out and your game is saved.

I have a feeling I ran into a rather huge bug, if that really was my ship an eight hour walk away. Next game started much smoother.

Haha, yeah, there are some major whoopsies in. :D Tip: dont pick up signal boosters in your base as doing so tends to permanently remove half your base with it. Its fun to read the forums, but for the next week or so I recommend not doing anything you wouldnt want to lose. :p

Well, after getting the game again it feels like they slowed down the pace in progression but at the same time...the only thing i really notice is that wrecks needs to be repaired, otherwise they seem as easy to find as before so getting better gear ships/multitool is just the same.

Well, after getting the game again it feels like they slowed down the pace in progression but at the same time...the only thing i really notice is that wrecks needs to be repaired, otherwise they seem as easy to find as before so getting better gear ships/multitool is just the same.
Do you have any special trick for discovering the wrecks? I'm really unlucky when searching for them. Only found a couple. Not that I'm complaining but liked the ability to pick and choose which one I repair and claim.

Think im falling for another woman here. And i absolutely hate hipsters (the image, not people sorry for offence).

So after mentioning elites instagram feature in beyond.. i found myself ogling at the almost photorealisitc lighting, especially from the torch over random things with ambient occlusion. It actually made me think it was good!

So here i am.. second jump into the tutorial, on a planet with sea areas, no hazard conditions (except somewhat frequent storms), a whole heap of eggs in my inventory, sitting on a trading post (lots of ships) right by a bay itching to make another base / move my old on here, with a distress beacon marked waiting for collection next. Still in a barely upgraded fighter.

Im not sure if its better or worse.. but im really liking how all the discovery / loot system is tied together now.. or maybe i was just dumb.. but you can look at a building and know exactly what it is pretty much.

The flight model im also getting used to. Id even call it a lie to claim its worse than elites. Less featured absolutely, but oozing in depth, even more so than basic ships. You fly with your visual nose, not the cursor. Speed must be considered based on what you're doing. Headlook must be considered based on what you're doing.

Even though its a completely childish, the detail and complexity of the graphics when its there, well its too good.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention the fss in nms doesn't me off in the slightest.. and its pretty much the same principle just implemented with a skilled hand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom