Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I wouldn't say it's extremely buggy. There are a few bugs (PS4 just got an update yesterday which was a cumulative patch for the PC hotfixes you mention), but I've not found anything game-breaking yet. It's mostly cosmetic things from what I can tell. 🤷‍♀️ The worst was when I had to logout whilst trying to dock at the Nexus, because my ship just kept doing a silly dance and ignoring the pad. Lost about 10 minutes "progress" that I had to re-do. When I docked again, I docked fine, but other ships were doing the same silly dance. It's not happened since.

I'm following it closely due to the gamebreaking bug I currently encounter, and there are piles of other major issues. People losing entire bases/freighters/inventory due to all kinds of issues. People dying for no reason at all (which is kinda problematic in Ironman...), plus multiplayer issues (there is currently an exploit that allows people to teleport to other people's bases without being in their friendlist and delete it).

I would say it is about as buggy as your average Elite update with the differences that you stand to lose a metric ton of progress with zero support being offered. So for now my recommendation, based on all the reports I've seen, is to not play a savegame that you would mind if it were screwed up.

Then I'm probably in some weird part of the galaxy. :D

No, really, I think what they did was differentiating the security levels a bit better. (i.e. there are planets where you almost don¨t see the sentinels at all and then there are such where you can't even fart without getting a robo-dog bite you in the neck. And naturally everything in between. :LOL:

Also, on a completely unrelated note - I've found my first unfinished planet, yesterday. And it is kind of awesome. I've collected a couple glitches as a decoration for my freighter, too. Really really cool idea. :)
You mean the anomaly planets? There's a bunch of them. My favorite that I only found once is the soap-bubble planets. But it was in the previous version, so I'm not sure if they've changed.

I'm following it closely due to the gamebreaking bug I currently encounter, and there are piles of other major issues. People losing entire bases/freighters/inventory due to all kinds of issues. People dying for no reason at all (which is kinda problematic in Ironman...), plus multiplayer issues (there is currently an exploit that allows people to teleport to other people's bases without being in their friendlist and delete it).

I would say it is about as buggy as your average Elite update with the differences that you stand to lose a metric ton of progress with zero support being offered. So for now my recommendation, based on all the reports I've seen, is to not play a savegame that you would mind if it were screwed up.
Exactly. Play it as it was a beta release. ;)

Also, you can take backups of your save files if you're too worried before each session (on PC).

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I went through a phase of playing a lot with a few friends when the first beyond update dropped with multiplayer about a year or so ago...but just got bored with the whole grind after a few months. I kinda lost the sense of the whole storyline, didn't know where I was supposed to be going or what I was supposed to do and reverted to endless collecting of resources and building stuff...which I have absolutely no interest in. It was a sure fire way of killing off any enthusiasm I had for NMS...

I'll give it another shot anyway, a few friends are harping on about it and how I should fire it up again...

Yeah, NMS type of grind means I usually do not end up long term with it, at some point I need my actual flying and pew pew :p . But I always come back for the main updates. The game is good though, bugs and all, so no issues there.

Of course I say how un-buggy it is, and go to my base, and the door has disappeared! :LOL:

Yeah, there's still some issues there. Game is fun though, so not personally too bothered tbh.

Of course I say how un-buggy it is, and go to my base, and the door has disappeared! :LOL:

Yeah, there's still some issues there. Game is fun though, so not personally too bothered tbh.

Not to mention entire stations disappearing while you are in them logging out, then logging in to find you are in a completely different part of the universe in your space ship when you were on the ground. On PC have the controls on the official xbox gamepad setup do not work. Atrocious frame rates on Xbox One, Missing textures on both xbox & pc... Just the ones I have encountered so far.

Not to mention entire stations disappearing while you are in them logging out, then logging in to find you are in a completely different part of the universe in your space ship when you were on the ground. On PC have the controls on the official xbox gamepad setup do not work. Atrocious frame rates on Xbox One, Missing textures on both xbox & pc... Just the ones I have encountered so far.

Not encountered any of that. I play mouse & keyboard on the PC though, and don't have an Xbox.

The patches are coming thick and fast though (another one has literally just downloaded as I was typing this), so I think it's worth persevering with. You may think differently of course. 🤷‍♀️

It's probably worth not using your main save for a few days though.

I went through a phase of playing a lot with a few friends when the first beyond update dropped with multiplayer about a year or so ago...but just got bored with the whole grind after a few months. I kinda lost the sense of the whole storyline, didn't know where I was supposed to be going or what I was supposed to do and reverted to endless collecting of resources and building stuff...which I have absolutely no interest in. It was a sure fire way of killing off any enthusiasm I had for NMS...

I'll give it another shot anyway, a few friends are harping on about it and how I should fire it up again...

I know what you mean.

The general goal is to reach the galactic centre. So when you're stuck for what to do, just follow that path. It takes a long time, and can be deviated from endlessly depending on your mood. Polo will give you locations of black holes that shorten the journey time a bit.

Bummer. Game suddenly went into extreme sluggishness. I suspect it somehow lost use of the graphics card and went into using the basic card instead. Weird.

I've accidentally acquired a Freighter Fleet.

It's working as intended, not by accident ;-)

Think for vr I will have to wait for a patch to use gamepad as I got my occulus before they came bundled with touch controllers.

You have a Rift still without touch controllers? But... Why? Those are almost best controllers on the market? And all roomscale games? All Touch games? WHY? Is the headset "Elite only"? Either way you're missing out big time...

I'm following it closely due to the gamebreaking bug I currently encounter
(...)
So for now my recommendation, based on all the reports I've seen, is to not play a savegame that you would mind if it were screwed up.
Is the "gamebreaking bug" the inability to remap controllers for VR? 😂

Out of 6-7 hrs in the game, it (almost) didn't crash on me. I experienced one bad bug, where I found a wreckage and when claiming game "forgot" my ship. That set me back about 20 minutes. Oh and my first time on the Space Anomaly on launch day wasn't great. It actually crashed and had holes in the geometry. It's good since day 2. No problems now.

As for the save, after their previous comments how "3xperimental" saves can break in regular game (before Beyond), I kinda assumed that I should start with a new save, and recommend doing so. Especially in VR. Game has changed, a refresher is most welcome and now it's in VR :D And no connection to the old save anyway, so no harm done there :)

You have a Rift still without touch controllers? But... Why? Those are almost best controllers on the market? And all roomscale games? All Touch games? WHY? Is the headset "Elite only"? Either way you're missing out big time...

Because people may not care about roomscale and touch? I have piles of games I play in VR, and I dont like VR controllers. Give me flight sims, racing games, HOTAS, Wheels and gamepads. I have no interest in the 21st century equivalent of duck hunt.

Is the "gamebreaking bug" the inability to remap controllers for VR? 😂

I have quite literally no clue what is so hilarious about that, but ok. Loads of people have the same bug in pancake and cannot play either. Haha, Hello Games screwed up a basic feature every game has had for decades. Hilarious man.

I have quite literally no clue what is so hilarious about that
Because I would hardly call inability to interact with a VR port in a "non VR" way, or "the way it was NOT meant to be played" a "gamebreaking" issue. You literally call something "game breaking" based on personal preference, which the previous paragraph emphasizes even more. I mean okay, you can dislike VR controls, but comparing them to a duck hunt is unfair tbh. Especially when you have games like Onward for example, where you do all sorts of interactions with motion controls. And I don't think "Blade and sorcery", "Gorn", "Creed", "Beat Saber", "Sprint Vector", "Raw Data", "Serious Sam: The Last Hope" would be as succesful with a gamepad :)
On the same note I can say that Elite is unplayable with VR because I need to use physical HOTAS instead of my ship's stick which is just in front of me in VR, my hand position on hotas doesn't match the in game position. Oh and I can't use ship's buttons with my VR controllers. See? Game breaking! 😂

They did say in the release notes they reduced the number of sentinels, but I wonder if they maybe overdid it a bit.
No, no, no no.. Han Zulu.. Think what your saying.. ;)

I like it much more with less sentinels, some planets now feel really remote and as though we're the first there..
Before we would arrive thinking ahh look a remote barren place, very errie, then you would walk around a bunch of rocks and have a Gek shop stood there.. :unsure:

Because I would hardly call inability to interact with a VR port in a "non VR" way, or "the way it was NOT meant to be played" a "gamebreaking" issue.
I believe @Ian Skippy may be referring to the keyboard - apart from key binding being impossible to remap, in VR the only option for control is the native controller for the HMD - if one has 'first release' Rift it came with a gamepad, touch controllers came much later. There is even a possibility that many of the games that require Touch are not of interest to everyone.

As for the keyboard killing Pancake, as a left-hander it sure has for me, and playing with an XBox controller is blooming awful for me!

I believe @Ian Skippy may be referring to the keyboard - apart from key binding being impossible to remap, in VR the only option for control is the native controller for the HMD - if one has 'first release' Rift it came with a gamepad, touch controllers came much later. There is even a possibility that many of the games that require Touch are not of interest to everyone.

As for the keyboard killing Pancake, as a left-hander it sure has for me, and playing with an XBox controller is blooming awful for me!

Or basically any conventional method. In any case, it's all in the past now. HG just released a new experimental patch that 'fixes the remapping crash' and 'enables remapping'. Oh, they also completely removed the menu from VR without mentioning that in the patch notes, tacitly saying they wont support anything but VR controllers. I can somewhat tolerate not supporting a HOTAS, but this is a bit much.

But remapping should work now in pancake, so that is good news for you at least! :)

Because I would hardly call inability to interact with a VR port in a "non VR" way, or "the way it was NOT meant to be played" a "gamebreaking" issue. You literally call something "game breaking" based on personal preference, which the previous paragraph emphasizes even more. I mean okay, you can dislike VR controls, but comparing them to a duck hunt is unfair tbh. Especially when you have games like Onward for example, where you do all sorts of interactions with motion controls. And I don't think "Blade and sorcery", "Gorn", "Creed", "Beat Saber", "Sprint Vector", "Raw Data", "Serious Sam: The Last Hope" would be as succesful with a gamepad :)
On the same note I can say that Elite is unplayable with VR because I need to use physical HOTAS instead of my ship's stick which is just in front of me in VR, my hand position on hotas doesn't match the in game position. Oh and I can't use ship's buttons with my VR controllers. See? Game breaking! 😂

Okay, you seem to take this rather personal. There is no reason to be upset, if you like VR controllers that is cool and I wish you a lot of fun with those games. :) FWIW: unlike those games you mention NMS is actually designed to be used with a controller (and k&m) so I dont see why it is unreasonably to use the very controller they designed the game for while simply having it projected in the HMD. As far as I know every game that added a VR option has been sensible enough to give the choice to the user. Not sure why it is such a personal affront to you when someone prefers a game to offer something every other game in that situation offers, but fine. Finally:

• If you’re playing on PSVR, you can switch between PS Move and DualShock 4 anytime you want. For example, you could use the gamepad when on foot if you prefer having analog sticks and then reach out and pilot the ship with the Move controllers when flying.

Oh well, I am sure the reason they couldnt have the same on PC is because of the Holy Vision of Sean Murray about The Right Way to Play, not because they couldn't get it to work and removing the menu in VR was easier than fixing it.

Last edited:
No, no, no no.. Han Zulu.. Think what your saying.. ;)

I like it much more with less sentinels, some planets now feel really remote and as though we're the first there..
Before we would arrive thinking ahh look a remote barren place, very errie, then you would walk around a bunch of rocks and have a Gek shop stood there.. :unsure:
Yeah. But it's kind'a weird that I'm on a planet with "threatening" activity level of sentinels... and I don't see them. :D

I know what you mean though, it's quite nice to not having those things flying around everywhere. They were like summer mosquitoes you constantly had to flick away.

Another bug to be aware of (but is supposedly fixed in experimental release) when you buy tech blueprints using salvage tech, you can lose units or quicksilver at the same time. I have and couldn't figure out what was going on, but just saw that this is an actual issue and is addressed in next patch. It was really annoying. I was saving up to buy a bigger multitool (still have the starter one), but for some reason my wallet kept on shrinking. I told my kids I must've a hole in my space-pocket. So I'm down to only 150k again. Need 600 for the one I found, but lost 3-400k into thin air. Bleh. Oh, well, it's just a game. :)

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator
You can always play in Creative mode... that way you don't have to punch any trees or worry about surviving anywhere.

The game is basically the same besides that. Even the quest lines (well, except the initial tutorial where you have to find and fix a ship).

EDIT: Also, the tutorial on Normal (whilst brilliant IMO, YMMV) isn't really indicative of what the game is like after you get past all that and get established.

I've played more than just the opening stages of this release, I know that after the tutorial it becomes less directed (I bought the game when it was originally released), but the core mechanics are the same (the ones I find dull). Going to creative means only the crafting/base building remains, which is just as dull as the rest of it.

Sadly, it's just not my kinda game. I'm glad other people are enjoying it though.

Hope at least this should scare a few natives away... lol ... time to plant some more frost biodome items
EChO8irWwAEiShA

Top Bottom