ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Please add a shipyard (even if no ships are available for purchase) or some other mechanic so we can have more than one of our own ships at a fleet carrier!

FD if your are reading this, the above suggestion is ESSENTIAL AND A NO-BRAINER. I just can't imagine having my own Fleet Carrier and then not being able to store my own ships in it. That would be as dumb as a box of hair.

Last edited:
I too pull facts out of a dark stinky hole, maybe we should form a squadron!

I'm happy for you. But don't be too offended if I let you down. I already have a nice squadron.

Arx isn't pay to win. Frontier previously confirmed that Arx will be used to purchase cosmetics and only cosmetics.

Arx FAQ

"Game Extras, such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!"

Game extras. That's pretty vague and open. Right now it's cosmetics - that's all there is. We'll see what that really entails when Arx and carriers are released.

Yes, you can earn Arx through normal play. But you can also buy it. Let's be honest and look at any other game sales model that does the same thing. Is the stuff you earn even near the value of what you can buy? I'm pretty cynical about the whole thing right now. I would like to be proven wrong. But let's not pretend that everything is going to be hunky dory. That's silly.

I would quite like it if the buy-in price for these Carriers was perhaps a little cheaper, but they weren't fully functional. i.e. you can buy one for a base price, but it only has two active small Landing Pads (for example) and you'd have to upgrade it with additional ones. That would make the buy-in cheaper, but still give an option for a fully-featured one once the player has the cash.

I fully expect these to be tens of billions, but I hope they're a fair bit cheaper, but needs credits to fully outfit. We shall see I suppose.

Scoob.

The two aren't mutally exclusive. Although it appears one person will have to shoulder the cost of the entire carrier, they can set the docking permissions so their Squadron can use it. And this way, a Squadron can even field multiple carriers at the same time instead of being restricted to one.

Personally I would hope that the price tag is between 20 and 100 Billion credits for the high end Fleet Carrier.

Maybe they will accidentally implement some way of doing credit transfers between players. LOL.

But Frontier really don't seem to be able to implement any forms of communal ownership.

Squadrons should have been a no-brainer that "This doesn't belong to just one guy", but Frontier can't sufficiently wrap their heads around that.
Probably also because this forum is a particular cess pit of "Me Me Me" and it's the one that Frontier have a direct connection to, so it kinda poisons their thinking.

"Game Extras, such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!"

Game extras. That's pretty vague and open. Right now it's cosmetics - that's all there is. We'll see what that really entails when Arx and carriers are released.

Yes, you can earn Arx through normal play. But you can also buy it. Let's be honest and look at any other game sales model that does the same thing. Is the stuff you earn even near the value of what you can buy? I'm pretty cynical about the whole thing right now. I would like to be proven wrong. But let's not pretend that everything is going to be hunky dory. That's silly.

"Game Extras" is what Frontier has always called cosmetics, look in the Frontier Store. The "and more!" bit likely entails decals, weapon and exhaust colors, cockpit lights, and COVAS options, all of which are cosmetics.

Nothing wrong with some healthy skepticism, but Frontier's been unambiguous from the start about what Arx will be used for: "As always with our optional additional purchases, Arx can only be used to buy cosmetic Game Extras and will not be used to introduce and acquire pay-to-win purchases." I don't think they would go to the trouble of saying that publicly if their long-term plan was to do the opposite and introduce pay-to-win, that flipflop would just double the size of the inevitable PR nightmare.

Stealthie

Banned
I dunno, logically it would have to be something readily available in any system, so as to not strand the carrier.

Not really.

As long as it's something a regular ship can collect and deliver to the Carrier, it wouldn't be an issue.

Sure, somebody who was a bit of a muppet might decide to jump their Carrier to an obscure system that's 400Ly from the next-nearest star and discover they're stranded but, hey, that's always been a risk.

The 6 P's. ;)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Swa
Since there are landing pads, if I am destroyed or self destruct, and the last place I was docked was my carrier, will I now spawn on my carrier?
Only if it is the nearest available location.

Thought will our own carriers issue fines if we mess up docking?

VERY skeptical.

What is this currency we have to buy this thing with?
Why does it require some "unique fuel"??? Sounds like grindy busy work that I don't really find fun when all I would like is to have a Freighter that lets me own more than just 5/6 ships in the game! (Which sucks).

I'm getting the idea this is just anther Bethesda/Zenimax/EA type of 'purchase tiers of credits for real money for prices that leave you with wasted credits left over that you can't do much with, and having been made to over spend for the things you are led to believe you need in the game'..

Getting these credits by 'just playing the game' = Grind/Grief-fest in multiplayer mode only. = not fun at all.

This alone... makes transporting ships using the existing space station method more attractive; All I need for that is time. This Fleet Carrier thing, was something that sounded really promising to me, but is covered in shady business practice agendas and grind-laden chores. In No Man's Sky, all I have to do is press a button and my fleet carrier appears. This, however, David, is smeared with money-grab/multiplayer exclusivity, grindy grind grind busy work.

NO THANKS.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

In a similar fashion to our Lavecon 2019 reveals, we wanted to give all of you who couldn't join us at our Gamescom Frontier Community Meet a rundown of all the details that just dropped... or should we say hauled in here by the aid of... a Fleet Carrier!

December Update - The FLEET CARRIER Update

The news you've been waiting for... Fleet Carriers.

Take a peek below at the initial details about Fleet Carriers, coming as the December Update.

Ownership
  • Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
  • One Fleet Carrier per Commander. Available for base game and Horizons players.

Capacity
  • Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
    • 8 Large
    • 4 Medium
    • 4 Small
  • Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.

Operations
  • All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
  • Commanders can choose a number of loadouts for their Fleet Carrier, governing services/module and ship availability to support a number of different activities, such as:
    • Bounty Hunter
    • Mercenary
    • Pirate
    • Trader
    • Smuggler
    • Miner
    • Explorer
    • Search and Rescue

Travel
  • 500 LY jump range (per jump)
  • Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy.
  • Commanders require a unique resource to fuel the Fleet Carrier in order for it to jump.

We'll be delving deeper into Fleet Carriers and all they can do in upcoming livestreams and forum posts later this year!

September Update

For those of you who have been stranded out in the black and somehow missed it, here's also a super-duper QUICK recap of the September Update.
  • This year's updates are focused on improving the starter experience for new commanders. We're adding a fully-voiced, in-game, in-ship tutorial, covering the basics of space flight, combat, traveling and scanning. Also, this experience is available in all of our in-game supported languages! Speaking of you veterans, you'll be able to access this from your right-hand panel at any time so you won't even need to wipe your save!
  • In addition, we'll be reworking and rebranding what some of you might know as Frontier Points, introducing them as Arx. These Arx will be purchasable and used to buy Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more. What's great about Arx is that you will be able to earn them in-game by... simply playing the game!
The September Update will be launched 18 September for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

Fly safe, Commanders!
This all sounds great. I hope there's some method to convert the carrier load out at a dry dock on a weeklong delay maybe.

I am excited to see what systems this will unlock for us.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom