ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I never thought I'd see the day where I was saying NMS was far better than E : D, but yet here we are.

NMS is better.
Better than SC which will never be released.
That's hilarious.

NMS is different from ED in so many ways, however the Capital ship or Carrier in NMS seems a LOT more versatile then the FC in ED, further jumprange, you can summon it, you can build and manufacture stuff in it, you can't fly it but you can make hyperjumps from the bridge, you can send out support frigates on missions, did I leave anything out?

We'll have to see what Fdev comes up with but I don't think the FC in ED will come near the functionality of the Carriers in NMS.

VERY skeptical.

What is this currency we have to buy this thing with?
Why does it require some "unique fuel"??? Sounds like grindy busy work that I don't really find fun when all I would like is to have a Freighter that lets me own more than just 5/6 ships in the game! (Which sucks).

I'm getting the idea this is just anther Bethesda/Zenimax/EA type of 'purchase tiers of credits for real money for prices that leave you with wasted credits left over that you can't do much with, and having been made to over spend for the things you are led to believe you need in the game'..

Getting these credits by 'just playing the game' = Grind/Grief-fest in multiplayer mode only. = not fun at all.

This alone... makes transporting ships using the existing space station method more attractive; All I need for that is time. This Fleet Carrier thing, was something that sounded really promising to me, but is covered in shady business practice agendas and grind-laden chores. In No Man's Sky, all I have to do is press a button and my fleet carrier appears. This, however, David, is smeared with money-grab/multiplayer exclusivity, grindy grind grind busy work.

NO THANKS.

You have a source of any kind for this? There is absolutely no chance at all whatsoever of "tiers of credits for real money." There's also zero chance of anything being available in Open only. This is pretty much stated in as many words by everything FDev has said on the matter, without ambiguity or exception.

Real money=cosmetics ONLY.
Carriers - which were originally SUPPOSED to be squadron-only - are now available to the solo player.
To change any of this would require retooling the whole feature, undoing everything they just finished announcing, and likely require enough work to miss the December update deadline. Therefore, everything you're suggesting is as unlikely to happen as it is for EA to give up on lootboxes "surprise mechanics."

The ships are simply newly modeled/altered variants of the existing rescue ships.

Well being pro thargoid I’ve barely seen one of these only in distant memory so this isn’t a problem :)

I hope they actually think about cosmetics from the start. They’re a bit of a crap afterthought in general, which isn’t a problem unless you buy them.. where you always hope they are better than what’s offered what you get. If anything though frontier seem to give no more attention to cosmetics as they do any other feature so...

Looks nice, would have been great to build squadrons around them and, you know, with the guild we have built up in Squadrons as a community to work together, but I guess this is really just a shallow, single-player game that occasional has some multiplayer aspects. Basically, this emphasises the lack of support I see for the future of Squadrons, with the bowing to Solo players because they moan loud against anything that smacks of not being available and earnable individually, is starting to wear thin. So now the guild leaders get to try and keep their groups together with no support for the long foreseeable future unless they like to hunt Thargoids or look at pretty starscapes, because that's the only thing we hear about from community managers who don't answer emails and only talk to the super large player groups or fancy screenshot'ers.

Hell just take squadrons out now, it's not needed, the only thing will be for people to join a Squadron is for a promise for earning enough money with a group then ditching them.

So pretty ships, and no use to squadrons. Let's just keep on not supporting the groups who actually play together and bring up new players.

Wow, I'm really impressed! Great work, FD.

It's good to see that every CMDR can own his own fleet-carrier and equip it with different parts for special tasks.

It's also very good that you can jump when you want to do so.

Exploring with a fleet-carrier (y)

EDIT

And they look much better than the mega-ships, which are really ugly

NMS is different from ED in so many ways, however the Capital ship or Carrier in NMS seems a LOT more versatile then the FC in ED, further jumprange, you can summon it, you can build and manufacture stuff in it, you can't fly it but you can make hyperjumps from the bridge, you can send out support frigates on missions, did I leave anything out?

We'll have to see what Fdev comes up with but I don't think the FC in ED will come near the functionality of the Carriers in NMS.
NMS grafix sux. Kinda like jrpg fail so badly. Nothing else to say.

Looks nice, would have been great to build squadrons around them and, you know, with the guild we have built up in Squadrons as a community to work together, but I guess this is really just a shallow, single-player game that occasional has some multiplayer aspects. Basically, this emphasises the lack of support I see for the future of Squadrons, with the bowing to Solo players because they moan loud against anything that smacks of not being available and earnable individually, is starting to wear thin. So now the guild leaders get to try and keep their groups together with no support for the long foreseeable future unless they like to hunt Thargoids or look at pretty starscapes, because that's the only thing we hear about from community managers who don't answer emails and only talk to the super large player groups or fancy screenshot'ers.

Hell just take squadrons out now, it's not needed, the only thing will be for people to join a Squadron is for a promise for earning enough money with a group then ditching them.

So pretty ships, and no use to squadrons. Let's just keep on not supporting the groups who actually play together and bring up new players.
Doesn't appear to be anything stopping squadron members throwing Void Opal containers at the squadron leader, or anyone else to help them amass the required funding if they want a squadron goal.

Nice to have options if you've already done 'cat herding' and decided DIY is more reliable.

I reckon squadrons will find it easier to buy one, recover the costs and farm required fuel resources ... that's if you can get members to work cohesively and agree on jump locations, etc. :sneaky:

I never thought I'd see the day where I was saying NMS was far better than E : D, but yet here we are.

NMS is better.
Better than SC which will never be released.
That's hilarious.

This is sad but true. No man's sky had capitol/fleet carriers for a while now. I feel that elite is just trying to play catch up at this point. Other things elite needs that No man's sky already has include space legs, atmospheric landings and base building. No Man's Sky has what elite don't. And when ever elite does release what little content they do, we praise it like the coming of christ because of how starved for content we all are.

Basically, I'm very afraid it's another add–on which brings nothing in terms of multiplayer understood as a co–op backed by game mechanics. FCs as advertised don't look like having group ownership, nothing a group of players can work towards, then extend and care about in a group setting. Basically, FCs look like big ship with Ship Launched Other Ships, so nothing really new.

I kind of want to get a player group together with one of each carrier type amongst us. That might be the incentive right there.

Hello everyone,

In a similar fashion to our Lavecon 2019 reveals, we wanted to give all of you who couldn't join us at our Gamescom Frontier Community Meet a rundown of all the details that just dropped... or should we say hauled in here by the aid of... a Fleet Carrier!

December Update - The FLEET CARRIER Update

The news you've been waiting for... Fleet Carriers.

Take a peek below at the initial details about Fleet Carriers, coming as the December Update.

Ownership
  • Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
  • One Fleet Carrier per Commander. Available for base game and Horizons players.

Capacity
  • Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
    • 8 Large
    • 4 Medium
    • 4 Small
  • Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.

Operations
  • All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
  • Commanders can choose a number of loadouts for their Fleet Carrier, governing services/module and ship availability to support a number of different activities, such as:
    • Bounty Hunter
    • Mercenary
    • Pirate
    • Trader
    • Smuggler
    • Miner
    • Explorer
    • Search and Rescue

Travel
  • 500 LY jump range (per jump)
  • Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy.
  • Commanders require a unique resource to fuel the Fleet Carrier in order for it to jump.

We'll be delving deeper into Fleet Carriers and all they can do in upcoming livestreams and forum posts later this year!

September Update

For those of you who have been stranded out in the black and somehow missed it, here's also a super-duper QUICK recap of the September Update.
  • This year's updates are focused on improving the starter experience for new commanders. We're adding a fully-voiced, in-game, in-ship tutorial, covering the basics of space flight, combat, traveling and scanning. Also, this experience is available in all of our in-game supported languages! Speaking of you veterans, you'll be able to access this from your right-hand panel at any time so you won't even need to wipe your save!
  • In addition, we'll be reworking and rebranding what some of you might know as Frontier Points, introducing them as Arx. These Arx will be purchasable and used to buy Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more. What's great about Arx is that you will be able to earn them in-game by... simply playing the game!
The September Update will be launched 18 September for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

Fly safe, Commanders!
This. Is. AWESOME! Checks credit balance...better get me some mining done. Thank you frontierdev and everyone involved in making this dream come true!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom