ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Looks great and after a lot of cynical posts from me recently, it makes me much happier about Frontier's treatment of ED (amazing what a bit of open communication can achieve ;))

A few questions from me:
  1. How do these tie with squadrons? ie can the FC be tagged as owned by Squadron X and only players in that squadron dock?
  2. If they're indestructible as mentioned by others, I presume if attacked they will at some point jump away as per the existing capital ships? How does the player/squadron find them?
  3. Will there be non-player owned FCs in game? ie for those playing in solo, can they expect to see the odd fleet carrier in some of the busier ports?
  4. Assuming movement is on the server tick, how often is that? Personally I believe it should be no more frequently than daily, and maybe only weekly.
Granted I have not read all the preceding pages so these questions may have come up before.

OK we don't know everything but what I've heard so far exceeds my expectations, of what Fleet Carriers would have been, if they'd have been introduced last year. Nice one.
Last year they were squadron carriers and now, with a pinch or two of salt from the community it would appear they've morphed into CMDR+4 wings carriers, assuming that many can get in the one instance?

Why 8 large pads though? Surely 4 large and 8 12 16 medium would be more useful?

Thank you, FDev! Let the haters hate, but I am excited to see for myself what exactly what this entails.

I guess my biggest hope so far is that we'll be able to somehow store more ships than landing pads. It would be nice to base your entire fleet out of your fleet carrier😉
Why do you presume that you'll be able to store more than one ship?

Nowhere in the released information did it say they come with a shipyard...

Why do you presume that you'll be able to store more than one ship?

Nowhere in the released information did it say they come with a shipyard...
I dont think it would make sense to have a carrier, owned by a commander, without the ability to use a form of the ship transfer screen to bring (some of) your other ships to it. It wouldnt need to be a shipyard at all, just the ship transfer facility.

Because it doesn't make sense to do the switch from squadron owned to solo CMDR owned with 16 available pads.
If you can't have more than one ship on the carrier for yourself, why bother with changing that?

Fdev don't always do updates that make sense.

I have a feeling that solo Cmdrs will be disappointed. Only 1 stored ship and no friends = sad times.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

I personally think this is the solution to Fleet Carriers for individual commanders and wings. Not Squadron Carriers for squadrons of 100 members. Whether that will come later or be an extension of this, we will see.

What it could be is the first step not to Squardon carriers, but player bases ...

If the Fleet Carriers are destructible then presumably:
  • will have a re-buy?
  • will need to earn credits for the re-buy?
….list goes on. So much we don't know. :)

Last edited:
What would be nice is the possibility to earn hard cash (credits) from other players refueling or repairing. And of course searching for other FC through the galaxy map.
Can someone calculate the return on investment on an 8A fuel scoop considering the fuel prices at starports nowadays? Asking for a friend.

Now we need a fleet of NPC crews to manned them, right? :)
lyhnIku.jpg

Because it doesn't make sense to do the switch from squadron owned to solo CMDR owned with 16 available pads.
If you can't have more than one ship on the carrier for yourself, why bother with changing that?
To please
I dont think it would make sense to have a carrier, owned by a commander, without the ability to use a form of the ship transfer screen to bring (some of) your other ships to it. It wouldnt need to be a shipyard at all, just the ship transfer facility.

I really hope this is the case.

You just never know with fdev.

Vague information and very important questions ignored. We get a "tune in next time!" for important, but very basic questions such as "is it jump on tick or jump as often as you want?"

A feature meant for Squadrons not actually meant for Squadrons. You can already form a solo Squad, so why are carriers tied to individuals? Kinda an odd decision since Squadrons are already able to be singular.

Something about this doesn't feel like it's meant for multiplayer despite it originally being sold as much. The vague details and detail avoidance doesn't help matters, either. But ce la vie.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom