Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Hot Off The Press (17th to 25th August 3305)

Good Morning! Roving Reporter Beth Johanson here, for Stevenson Whirlwind Adventures News, bringing you yesterday's highlights today!

First up:

YOU'RE A MEENE ONE, MISTER GRINCH

This reporter, hoping for a lead on a nearby Guardian site, traveled to Meene in hopes of getting an interview with the foremost expert on the Guardians, Ram Tah. Instead, all she got was a mission to find the ruins herself. Thanks a lot, sir! At least you let me use your remote workshop to upgrade my FSD to Grade 4. While in the Meene system, I noticed that there were quite a few wreckage sites out there, so I went for a closer look, hoping for some interesting technological salvage.

Nothing! You're on my list!

NOOB MINER AT KOINE

This reporter next traveled to the Koine system, to photograph the "noob hammers" of Viete Colony, made famous by the Buckyball Race "Armed and Dangerous," which was this reporter's second race. I had hoped for some interviews with the staff there, to get their perspective of past runs. Sadly, I was informed none of the original staff was available for comment, due to still receiving treatment following a collective nervous breakdown.

While in the system, I decided that conditions were idea to check off one of the items that I would have to do myself: exploding an asteroid. The local technicians were kind enough to not laugh too long at the flaw in my plan: my Hauler couldn't carry the necessary equipment! Fortunately for me, they had a Cobra III that was available for purchase, and they didn't gouge me too much on the price.

I promptly set out to in a hunt for the asteroid with my name on it. After arriving on site, I promptly returned to Viete Colony to buy seismic charges, which I foolishly assumed came with the launcher. I soon returned to the resource site, and quickly found an another suitable asteroid, and made a big boom.

I really should've recorded video for this one.

And that was the highlights from last night! My tally so far:

Group 1Group 2Group 3Group 4Group 5Group 6
Federal or Imperial ShipSRV 250m in the air✅Something Thargoid✅Something GuardianA Shipwreck (human)✅An outpost ship showroom
Another Ship using mining lasers ✅Inside a repairing station✅A Ship Exploding✅A Coriolis with "noob hammers"✅A Geyser or Fumerole✅An abandoned or wrecked SRV
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo AdA Brain Tree, Space Pumpkin, or Bark MoundAn Asteroid Explosion✅A Black Hole✅Stellar PhenomenonAn INRA logo✅

Eleven Down, Seven to Go.

Day 8 scoreboard 1

MQoB24i.png

From the bottom (and with Sulu's position now corrected) ...

Stern Winter takes the brakes off the Frozen Cricket, cutting his time pretty much in half to take 9th place with an excellent time of 26 mins 2 secs.

Bruski is back in the Varangian lightning, cutting over 3 minutes, overtaking TwoSpoons77 and landing back in 4th with a time of 10 mins 42 secs.

Then we have Nickweb85 in another new ship, a Viper named "Pocket Rocket" who bounds back into 3rd place with a new route and a stunning time of 9 mins 54 secs, now the third contestant to break the 10 minute barrier. His advice? - "Practise and keep your cool". Awesome racing Cmdr! Hmmm ... that guy quietly mining in the background seems awfully familiar? 😜

And lastly, still at the top but now 21 seconds faster ... it's Cmdr Numerlor, back with an astonishing run lasting just 6 mins 32 seconds. How does he do it? In a little over 36 hours we'll find out!

Good Morning! Roving Reporter Beth Johanson here, for Stevenson Whirlwind Adventures News, bringing you yesterday's highlights today!

First up:

YOU'RE A MEENE ONE, MISTER GRINCH

This reporter, hoping for a lead on a nearby Guardian site, traveled to Meene in hopes of getting an interview with the foremost expert on the Guardians, Ram Tah. Instead, all she got was a mission to find the ruins herself. Thanks a lot, sir! At least you let me use your remote workshop to upgrade my FSD to Grade 4. While in the Meene system, I noticed that there were quite a few wreckage sites out there, so I went for a closer look, hoping for some interesting technological salvage.

Nothing! You're on my list!

NOOB MINER AT KOINE

This reporter next traveled to the Koine system, to photograph the "noob hammers" of Viete Colony, made famous by the Buckyball Race "Armed and Dangerous," which was this reporter's second race. I had hoped for some interviews with the staff there, to get their perspective of past runs. Sadly, I was informed none of the original staff was available for comment, due to still receiving treatment following a collective nervous breakdown.

While in the system, I decided that conditions were idea to check off one of the items that I would have to do myself: exploding an asteroid. The local technicians were kind enough to not laugh too long at the flaw in my plan: my Hauler couldn't carry the necessary equipment! Fortunately for me, they had a Cobra III that was available for purchase, and they didn't gouge me too much on the price.

I promptly set out to in a hunt for the asteroid with my name on it. After arriving on site, I promptly returned to Viete Colony to buy seismic charges, which I foolishly assumed came with the launcher. I soon returned to the resource site, and quickly found an another suitable asteroid, and made a big boom.

I really should've recorded video for this one.

And that was the highlights from last night! My tally so far:

Federal or Imperial ShipSRV 250m in the air✅Something Thargoid✅Something GuardianA Shipwreck (human)✅An outpost ship showroom
Another Ship using mining lasers ✅Inside a repairing station✅A Ship Exploding✅A Coriolis with "noob hammers"✅A Geyser or Fumerole✅An abandoned or wrecked SRV
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo AdA Brain Tree, Space Pumpkin, or Bark MoundAn Asteroid Explosion✅A Black Hole✅Stellar PhenomenonAn INRA logo✅

Eleven Down, Seven to Go.
You really have set out on an epic adventure here - hoping we can follow this story all the way to the end, no matter how long it takes.

Last edited:
Day 8 scoreboard 2

KDa3F5C.png

First up and Edelgard von Rhein is back. Manging to shave 4.5 minutes off the Hermes' previous time using yet another unique combination of objectives (including a new type of "derelict ship") that run takes 9th place with a time of 23 mins 58 secs. Nice flying!

Then we have a brand new entry from Umbrarex, flying a Krait Phantom named "Shadow Step". Using one of the more popular selections of photojournalistic opportunities and a nice bit of teamwork, he's posted a really excellent time of 21 mins 18 secs to jump straight into 6th place and the top half of the table. Bravo!

And finally, that utter loon Cmdr Crotalus is back in an Anaconda named "Leviathan" and guess what ... he's been to Sagittarius A* and back - again! Using a selection of objectives that's very nearly all C's on my table (perhaps he should have paid Beth Johanson a visit on the way back for the full set?) he's shaved around two and a half minutes off his previous time (which is just ludicrous considering it's a 52kly round trip in a different type of ship!). I don't know what to say. Epic. 🤪

Last edited:
Well due to RL constraints I will not be able to get another serious run in...but hats off to all..especially the sub 10ers..I am in awe and eagerly awaiting seeing what I missed. Will still be around so keenly watching last parts of the race. Good luck all!

I may run it in my Imperial Cutter just once just for the dammed hell of it..it will most certainly not be in the top thats for sure but could be hilarious. As for the exploding ship..well this will not be an issue cos anything that gets in the way will probably end up exploding...it is quite large and heavy!

Last edited:
Good Afternoon! Roving Reporter Beth Johanson here, for Stevenson Whirlwind Adventures News, bringing you the highlights from today!

First Up:

IMPERIAL NAVY SHIPYARD WORKERS ON STRIKE

Imperial shipyard workers in the Malaikudi system went on strike today, due to poor working conditions. This reporter had the opportunity to meet with the striking workers, to learn about their grievances.

"I don't see how anybody can be expected to work under these conditions," Tama Chlebek, head of the striking workers explained, shaking his head. "It's inhumane, that's what it is. They're only serving vegetarian meals at the commissary tonight! No meat what-so-ever! We deserve meat!" The crowd around him began cheering. "Red meat, right off the hoof! Seared over an oak wood fire to perfection, with the special blend of herbs and spices that really brings out the flavor!" The crowd around him began chanting "Steak! Steak! Steak!"

"Knock it off!" Shouted chef Chloé Segal through a bullhorn. "It's just for one night! I just want to try something new for a change!"

"We shouldn't be treated like this!" Tama replied. "What do you think we are, slaves?"

"Actually, I am!" "So am I!" "I've got three months left of my contract, so I can buy a house!"

Tama blushed, hanging his head. "Let me rephrase that. What do you think we are, Federation corporate employees?"

The crowd roared with approval! While this reporter is loathe to take sides on this issue, she thought Mme Segal's Roquefort and Carmelized Onion Tart was simply divine.

SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO STOP AND TAKE IN THE SIGHTS

And then gather up all that juicy arsenic and polonium!!! Mine! All mine!

A BLUE SPACE LAGOON

Lagrange Clouds. Formed where the gravity of two massive bodies cancel each other out, these rare but gravitationally stable phenomenon can often provide shelter space-borne life forms. Here, tiny, bacterial-like organisms have formed massive crystals from the surrounding gas.

TWO COMMANDERS MEET, GREETINGS WERE EXCHANGED

Synuefe XR-H d11-102. The starting place of many a Commander's investigation of the Guardians. While usually deserted, this reporter was surprised to see a Federal Corvette, piloted by one Commander Ha5h, parked in the middle of the site. While such meetings can be tense ones, the two of us had a brief exchange of pleasantries, wishing each other good luck on our respective tasks, before going on our way.

Oh, and I remembered to snap a picture of a relic, just in case. ;)

I DON'T THINK WE'RE IN KANSAS ANYMORE

Maybe it was blazing light of the nearby B-class star. Maybe it was the odd color of the planet, but this brain tree site felt positively surreal. Quite frankly, something about the place made me want to leave in a hurry.

And that was the highlights from today! My tally so far:

Federal or Imperial Ship✅SRV 250m in the air✅Something Thargoid✅Something Guardian✅A Shipwreck (human)✅An outpost ship showroom
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo AdA Brain Tree, Space Pumpkin, or Bark Mound✅An Asteroid Explosion✅A Black Hole✅Stellar Phenomenon✅An INRA logo✅

Just three left to go! Will I be able to find these things in the wild, or will I need to resort to my backup plan?

About to rush off to spend the day at a BBQ on the M25 so this will probably be the only update today.

XiPATVk.png

First up we have another run from Stern Winter's "Frozen Cricket" DBX. Sticking with his route but shaving a few more minutes off the time he's now managed to overtake Buckyball teammate Edelgard von Rhein and take 9th place with a time of 23 min 06 secs. He still reckon's there's a good minute or so that can be saved on that route so Azzie Elbub better watch out in case he loses his 8th place on the board.

And then we have a brand new entry from another Buckyball veteran - Cmdr Raiko! He's flying his A* Asp Explorer "The Nomand" around yet another fairly unique route and I'm absolutely delighted to say he's discovered one particular site I was really hoping somebody would use which combines two fairly unusual photo opportunities. If I'd had the ability to hide a little time bonus loot box somewhere I would have hidden it here! His time of 24 min and 13 sec places him in 11th place, knocking poor old Sulu even further down the table. Don't worry! We've all been in that position of watching our promising early runs slide further and further down. Consider it a Buckyball right of passage if you like!

And so we come to the final hours of the race ... about twelve and a half by the time I've finished writing. I'll wish everyone the best of luck, good hunting and favourable alignments now in case I don't make it back online again today. Final scoreboards and announcements of winners will probably be sometime tomorrow afternoon. And then ... I'm really hoping people will start sharing what they did and how they did it 'cos I can see from the screenshots that there's some terrific tales waiting to be told here!

o7 Buckyballers!

Last edited:
Any runs I manage today will probably be in my Viper MkIV, the Rust Monster, though if I have time I might try my Dolphin Whisper of Freedom. I'll be aiming for good screenshots rather than times - there were occasions on my previous runs that I wished I could have stopped to sort out a good screenie!

Ok as a swansong I have run my fully combat oriented Cutter Alecto IV around. Suprisingly ok time too! It is worth noting to any NPC that interdicted an elite combat pilot in a heavy warship fully armed is probably just stupid.

This is a SWAN special news report. We now go to Roving Reporter Beth Johanson, reporting from Orcus Crag, in the Pleiades Sector OI-T c3-7 system.

Hello, Beth Johanson here. Responding to several anonymous tips, this morning I traveled to HIP 16613, were the wreckage of an Anaconda, piloted by one Commander Clark Barrow, has apparently found.

Not too far away was an eerily green-glowing mist. Within that mist was an abandoned SRV.

More shocking still was the life pod nearby, and it was occupied. Also nearby was a container with hazardous environmental suits, which would've allowed this poor unfortunate soul an alternative to cruel, the coffin-like confines of the life pod. How long had this pod been here? Did it contain Clark Barrow? How many people had visited this site, and left this poor just lying there, due to lack of cargo space, or just indifference?

Well, I certainly wasn't going to leave this poor soul where I found them! I loaded both the pod and the HE Suits into my SRV, and drove them back to my ship. As I prepared my ship for take off, I felt a wave of vertigo pass over me. My vision faded noticably, and I feared I was going to pass out. After the moment passed, though, I noticed the green glow briefly intensify through my cockpit window, before fading back to "normal." Curious, I hopped back into my SRV and headed back to the site to investigate.

What I found there shocked me to the core. There, beside the abandoned SRV, was another life pod, a container of HE suits nearby!

To say I was confused would be an understatement. What was going on? Did I imagine rescuing this life pod earlier? Was I hallucinating? Did another pod mysterously appear? Did the Thargoids have anything to do with this? Regardless of what was happening, I scooped up the pod and the suits (who knows, they might come in handy) and returned to my ship as fast as I could. There, I confirmed that I hadn't imagined rescuing another pod.

Well, I certainly wasn't going to stick around for a repeat performance! Who knows what might happen? I quickly lifted off, and set a course for the nearest human occupied system, so that my unfortunate passengers would be able to get out of those tiny metal boxes! This turned out to be Pleiades Sector OI-T c3-7 and Orcus Crag, the home of about 50,000 souls.

Much to my surprise, but not to the locals, they both claimed to be Commander Barrow! In fact, there were currently seventeen Clark Barrows being held in quarantine at Orcus Crag, as Imperial scientists attempt to unravel this mystery. More than five hundred Clark Barrows are also being held in other facilites on nearby worlds. Was this individual replicated by the Thargoids? Is he even human? How do they all have the same memories, up until their rescue? Is this some bizarre Thargoid experiment, or an attempt at infiltrating Human society? How many Clark Barrows were rescued and allowed to leave for the Bubble, before the authorities started to realize what was happening? Why hasn't this news made Galnet?

This reporter has too many questions, and precious little answers.

This was Roving Reporter Beth Johanson, for Stevenson Whirlwind Adventures News, from the Pleiades (again). See you back in the Bubble!

And that's another one checked off the list. :)

Federal or Imperial Ship✅SRV 250m in the air✅Something Thargoid✅Something Guardian✅A Shipwreck (human)✅An outpost ship showroom
Another Ship using mining lasers ✅Inside a repairing station✅A Ship Exploding✅A Coriolis with "noob hammers"✅A Geyser or Fumerole✅An abandoned or wrecked SRV✅
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo AdA Brain Tree, Space Pumpkin, or Bark Mound✅An Asteroid Explosion✅A Black Hole✅Stellar Phenomenon✅An INRA logo✅

Still hoping to find the last two "in the wild," but fortunately for me, I've got several "anonymous tips" on where to find them as a last resort. :)

I'm hoping to make two or three runs this evening in different ships.
  1. A hopefully improved run in The Nomad.
  2. A run with a couple more bucket list locations in my Beluga, Buckybird-2
  3. Going for a higher spot on the board in my iCourier, Spirit of Icarus
I've not figured out how to get down to 6 minutes, so I'm just hoping for 10-15 minutes in the iCourier.

I'm done. One more shortcut found, one more run submitted, three more runs aborted when something went wrong during the first stages. The better you get (for yourself), the more problematic these runs become.

Just submitted what will be my final run as I've no more time now for another attempt. This time I flew my Viper MkIV, the Rust Monster in an attempt to gather scenic images at every location I visited, also aiming to visit a variety of different locations with good views. In hindsight I should have switched the repairing station for some brain trees but I'd probably still be out there... . So here are the best images from each location of the run, locations included, as it's a bit late now to try and incorporate them if anyone is making further attempts, especially as some are off the beaten track... ;)
First Stop: Generation Ship Atlas, Charick Drift
Q7XRyrD.png
Second Stop: Cherry Port, Aganippe
6q1gzSr.png
Third Stop: Farragut class battlecruiser, Nemehi
IfAjUZ3.png
Fourth Stop: Orb at heart of Guardian Beacon, Synuefe HP-E b45-4 4
jP59PW6.png
Fifth Stop: Thargoid Structure, Aries Dark Region IM-V c2-5 12a
C0k2jRE.png
Sixth Stop: Hogan Depot, INRA derelict base, HIP 7158 A 2 b
V97VOlk.png

The Breaker of Races broken. o_O
It is true. :(

My only shot at the podium now is photography!

Submissions for Consideration, by CMDR Bruski

4TfbXNH.png

"A being of utmost darkness dwelling, possessing the seven spiked eye."

lADccda.jpg

"All this, it has been like to crystal,

cold-dropping waters, clearest bird-voice,

sheerest silence, light-flashing glacier."

~ Ursula Bethell

cgyPd0V.jpg

"Doom awaits those, who pile their treasure in silos strong."

yfG1RNy.jpg

"On her way, and once left, dust only behind."

cC8Z60o.jpg

"I thought of all that worked dark pits

Of war, and died

Digging the rock where Death reputes

Peace lies indeed."

~ Wilfred Owen

Last edited:
Good Evening! No longer roving reporter Beth Johanson here, live at the Print Works, to give you my final two highlights from this afternoon.

First up: A huge shout out to Cmdr Raiko, who just happened to leave Millese just as I was arriving. Always nice to see (for a given value of "see") a racer on the course!

Next Up:

SCANDAL AT THE ANTIQUE STARSHIP SHOW IN ELGIN PORT

Pandemonium errupted at Elgin Port in the Yimakuapa system today, when it was revealed that classic starship dealer Dixie-May Masterson did not actually deal in truly classic starships, but instead modified modern hulls to match classic starship designs.

"I don't see what the big deal is," stated Dixie-May. "I said they're classics, not actual antiques. I have no idea why anyone would be upset. Do you have any idea how much work it takes to refit an antique ship to modern Pilots' Federation standards? So I remade the classic look instead. After all a remake is always better than the original, right?"

And finally:

STARPORT CELEBRATES BUCKYBALL APPRECIATION DAY

Hippoc Bioceuticals Research Station in the 51 Arietis system today celebrated its 1600th "Buckyball Appreciation Day." When this reporter asked the traffic control chief, one Vasa Westley, how they could be celebrating the 1600th anniversary of Buckyball Racing, when Humanity hadn't even started its industrial revolution then, she had this to say. "This isn't an annual thing. Every day that goes by without being the target of a Buckyball Race is a day we appreciate the Buckyball Racing Club being somewhere else. By the way, you came into the slot a little fast, especially for a Hauler. You really should..."

It was at this point that a member of her staff interrupted the interview, whispered into her ear while looking nervously at me, which caused Chief Westley to utter a most profane curse. Seconds later, a poster on the wall behind her changed from 1600 to 0.

And that's the end of my report. After 5 days, 21 hours, 11 minutes and 41 seconds of living in Haulin' Arx's rather cramped quarters, all I want to do is take a nice hot bath.

Here's the final tally:

Federal or Imperial Ship✅SRV 250m in the air✅Something Thargoid✅Something Guardian✅A Shipwreck (human)✅An outpost ship showroom✅
Another Ship using mining lasers ✅Inside a repairing station✅A Ship Exploding✅A Coriolis with "noob hammers"✅A Geyser or Fumerole✅An abandoned or wrecked SRV✅
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo Ad✅A Brain Tree, Space Pumpkin, or Bark Mound✅An Asteroid Explosion✅A Black Hole✅Stellar Phenomenon✅An INRA logo✅

Nothing like a complete collection. :D Thanks for an interesting theme for the race, Alec, and for being supportive of my very nontraditional run. ;) I'll post my thought process sometime tomorrow while I'm on break at work.

Oh, and I suppose I'd better submit this run officially. :D

I had fun tonight, but failed to add another run unfortunately.

My Asp-X run was looking slower than my existing time, so I aborted and switched to the Beluga.

It's not being used for station rescues at the moment, so I swapped the paintjob and changed the name from Buckybird-2 to Spirit of Adventure, fitted an SRV hangar and started my run.

First stop was Pomeche to finally have a go at Alec's SRV challenge, I failed at that as well, but at least I got a shot of the SRV 3km in the air when I took a wrong turn.

I had a second go at the Pomeche challenge, but unfortunately (a) I failed again and (b) that didn't leave me enough time to complete the rest of my route, which included the CMDR Jameson crash site and the Maia B black hole.

Thanks for your amazing race Alec, I'll be heading back to the Pomeche Ridge Challenge next time I'm online, still got 2 SRVs in the hangar and maybe it won't be so bloody dark there when I get back.

Well this is all pretty epic I must say! That little "like" button really seems rather inadequate sometimes.

Anyway, the race is OVER!

Massive thanks to everyone that took part. I see I have five new entries to process this morning (exciting) so hold off on revealing all your secrets a little while longer. Let me get the final scoreboard out (around mid-day maybe?) and then we'll find out how you all went about tackling this assignment.

Top Bottom