Frontier's Annual Results have been published (June 2018 to May 2019), showing a record year and Elite passing 3 million basegame sales

this graph clearly shows an increase in doom

QvBFhWO.png

I think they are pretty reasonable metrics for a small game by a small developer targeted to a niche audience indeed.

Apologies, I wasn’t clear. I was responding to the idea that those metrics can be used to compare Elite with Anthem, one of the most highly-budgeted and highly-marketed games of recent memory. Anthem was a failure but the economies of scale are still too wide.

Will edit original post to remove confusion. :)

Well things look pretty rosy in the Frontier garden. Nothing significant in the "notes" which is always my first port of call.

Just one small question: As a Johnny-come-lately fan of Elite....who exactly is this David Braben geezer?

'Never seen or heard from him since I've been following the game! :p

Unless they publish these figures on Galnet so that I might peruse them whilst super-cruising around, I’m not sure how Frontier can even have the nerve to claim to be transparent.
I hate sarcasm.
Well things look pretty rosy in the Frontier garden. Nothing significant in the "notes" which is always my first port of call.

Just one small question: As a Johnny-come-lately fan of Elite....who exactly is this David Braben geezer?

'Never seen or heard from him since I've been following the game! :p
You can find him on the forums under the name of besieger.

My ten pence - simply a congratulations to the whole team over there on another stellar year over at Frontier towers. Whilst the company is making good money, they have the resources to carry on doing "more Elite" and as such, to be applauded! More Elite is a good thing.

Whilst we, as customers are a demanding lot and therefore can see at times on this forum to be negative, it's nice to see that the hands on the ship's wheel are steering the good ship Frontier and her crew in the right direction. Long may it continue.

Why should they - from a cold business point of view - if a steady flow of new players keeps the game growing?
btw, no one has mentioned steam charts yet in this thread. Are they broken?
I just looked at the chart and the game is remarkably stable, with a basically the same average player count now as in the beginning 4 years ago. That's probably why you don't hear about it from any doom preachers.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
People who have objections on the path the development of the game has taken have never doubted the objectivity of numbers showing very good total sales.

Objections to the game =/= game is dead/doomed.

Non issue? I do not think anyone had equated "people who have objections" with "doom" before your posted in the thread.

Besides, 3 millions units sold does not say anything about active players right now. Nobody knows that number for sure.

Well, you can use proxy information to infer some conclusions. For example, according to Steam, the concurrency levels in August this year is the highest of all Augusts since Steam launch, except the 2016 one. Now active players =/= concurrency, but we can safely conclude that active players right now in Steam (whatever the number is) is probably slightly higher than most previous years same periods, patches timing notwithstanding. Other platforms obviously add to that but I suspect the behaviour is very similar.

Last edited:
Haven't they just delayed the release of the single player campaign again? Vaporware is vaporware :p

No, they delayed the beta of the single player campaign. They delay of the actual release is scheduled to be announced q2 2020, but I can't promise that will also be delayed.

On the bright side,you can buy a new ship so it's not all bad. :)

I just looked at the chart and the game is remarkably stable, with a basically the same average player count now as in the beginning 4 years ago. That's probably why you don't hear about it from any doom preachers.
So far that didn't stop the doomsayers from misusing Steamcharts. They'll just compare the peak numbers of the Horizons launch to average players on a Tuesday at 4 AM (at the first warm day of the year and right in between two major updates). I always tried to explain them why it doesn't make sense, but it never helped because they all put me on ignore as soon as I disagreed with them.
Don't know where these guys are, haven't seen a good Steamcharts thread in months. They probably couldn't figure out how to use the new forums.

Hmm, when I read this, I spared a thought for my colleague who spent almost 2000 USD in 2014 for nice ships in Star Citizen and is still waiting and waiting and waiting.

Back in 2015, we had a serious discussion if ED is better than SC will be or not :)

Top Bottom