Show us your interesting discoveries!

It's a neat find, but not all that rare. 4 and especially 5 bodies sharing barycenters are much more rare, and you'd have to do the FSS minigame over thousands and tens of thousands of systems to be sure to find them. If you can do that, then sure, you can find them - if.

Well, I left Shinrarta on patch day for the rim of the galaxy and have been FSSing my way around the outside in a 42 light year Beluga ever since, so I’d say my mini game tolerance is pretty high. Haven’t found any 5+ body shareycenter systems yet, but I’ve only been through maybe 11,000 systems so far.

Hang on, doesn't everyone else fully FSS every system they pass through, then check the system and orrery map to look for interesting relationships?
I do. I don't intentionally look for interesting relationships however, but I do note them. I rely heavily on the orrery, it saves me time running around through a system during DSS mappings. Every now and then I'll note a body in an odd orbit, out of the orbit plane of all the other bodies. I'll guess this is what you're talking about. Never checked on the eccentricities of these bodies orbits though. Isn't the eccentricity noted in the body's detail data when selected in the map screen?... pretty much all the other ephemeris data is.

I don't mind doing full FSS scans after a honk, even if there's 40+ bodies in the system. I'm not in a rush; For me, exploring isn't about rushing. Anything that shows a POI in the FSS gets DSSd, and usually a POI visit (with many of those visits yielding a discovery credit). I don't limit myself to landables either, WWs, ELWs, AWs and such are also on the list, even the occasional GG if I'm close enough and in position to during my journey though the system.

Well, yes, it should - but it doesn't. By "body types", I meant ELWs, AWs, WWs and so on. The way the developers were talking about it, bodies of interest signify this, not that a planet might have POIs on its surface.
Besides, they knew full well what kind of planetside content we're going to have in the galaxy: biologicals and geologicals, both of which are of little interest to most players. Other POI types only exist in a few plot areas, and the Codex points these areas out now.

Apart from money there's little if anything interesting about WW ELW and AW worlds etc, I suppose if it's money you are after then that makes them interesting. You can't land on them, you can' gather resources from them. Until FDEV adds come game play for them then they are exactly as interesting as any other icy or rocky body with atmosphere. While I know FDEV have said CF's are available for non-horizon players and therefore the resource will be available in space, but it wouldn't really surprise me if one of the best ways to gather resources for fueling a FC will be gathering from bio and geo sites, that's certainly where the abundance of mats is found at the moment.

But as I say, each to his own, new and unique bio or geo won't be found on planets you can't even approach let alone land on.

I do. I don't intentionally look for interesting relationships however, but I do note them. I rely heavily on the orrery, it saves me time running around through a system during DSS mappings. Every now and then I'll note a body in an odd orbit, out of the orbit plane of all the other bodies. I'll guess this is what you're talking about. Never checked on the eccentricities of these bodies orbits though. Isn't the eccentricity noted in the body's detail data when selected in the map screen?... pretty much all the other ephemeris data is.

Eccentricity is noted in the system map info but is much easier to spot from the orrery I find. There are plenty of bodies eccentric to the orbital plane, but the most interesting eccentricity is when a body is in a cometary orbit, coming very close to the star on approach and very far away at it's furthest point, you can often spot these on the FSS but not always, hence needing to check all available sources of data about the system.

Apart from money there's little if anything interesting about WW ELW and AW worlds etc, I suppose if it's money you are after then that makes them interesting.
Well, I quoted the developers, so if you don't like what they said, you should tell them that. (Feedback, after all.)
That said, when you are talking about interesting stuff, you are talking about personal interests and opinions. Personally, I find the generated galaxy much more interesting than the hand-crafted content so far, but as you said, to each their own. You could always poll others and see how many share your interests.

But as I say, each to his own, new and unique bio or geo won't be found on planets you can't even approach let alone land on.
Now that you mention it, when was the last time somebody found new and unique bio or geo sites? If memory serves, all of their kinds were found shortly after the Chapter Four launch, but maybe I forgot about something.

but maybe I forgot about something.

You did.

Personally, I find the generated galaxy much more interesting than the hand-crafted content so far, but as you said, to each their own. You could always poll others and see how many share your interests.

Bio and geo are part of the generated galaxy, mapping distribution patterns for various types of bio and other phenomena is an important part of the research into the generated galaxy, and while it doesn't yet have a very meaningful end result, it may in the future give us pointers on finding further added content. Just like finding and mapping Brain Trees helps us find new Guardian sites, it may be in the future as the game develops the spread of bio types may lead to clues on where and how to find new added content.

Okay, then answer my question please: when was the last time somebody found new and unique bio or geo sites? Something never seen before? I only remember crystal shards and amphora plants around Chapter Four's release, so, what did I forget about or miss?
Unfortunately, there are no Codex alerts whenever some new, previously unknown entries get added there.

As for your second reply: yes, the distribution of biologicals and geologicals is a part of the generated galaxy, a layer added on top of it, but the content of the POI sites are entirely hand-crafted, which was what I meant when I wrote "the hand-crafted content".
About the rest, the same pretty much applies if you replace "Bio and geo" with "ELWs and AWs", and other planet types too. Lots of the space-borne life are present only in systems containing such specific planets, after all.

Okay, then answer my question please: when was the last time somebody found new and unique bio or geo sites? Something never seen before? I only remember crystal shards and amphora plants around Chapter Four's release, so, what did I forget about or miss?

Crystal Shards were found basically the day Chapter four was released, I believe it was three or four months ago the latest stuff was found, I can't remember exactly when but there was a thread about it at the time.

I could be out a couple of months but I do recall it was quite a while after the release.

Crystal Shards were found basically the day Chapter four was released, I believe it was three or four months ago the latest stuff was found, I can't remember exactly when but there was a thread about it at the time.

I could be out a couple of months but I do recall it was quite a while after the release.
I just checked. The new and unique surface biological sites were crystal shards and amphora plants, and both were found a couple of days after Chapter Four was released. Otherwise, the only new and unique finds found later were all NSPs in space. Some anemones were found already, as "space pumpkins", only palette variations of them were newly found (on the same day as the update), but I wouldn't count those as new and unique.
Well, I was hoping I did forget or miss something, but if you can't recall any examples, then it looks like I didn't.

I just checked. The new and unique surface biological sites were crystal shards and amphora plants,

I wasn't referring specifically to surface bio in fact, and I know exactly when crystal shards were found because I found them first, in fact I found them in beta and sat at the planet waiting for the release of chapter 4, landed and scanned one as soon as the game finished updating. Tube Worm things, they call them Sinuous Tubers now, were known about before but not discovered until chapter 4 was released simply because no-one was looking for them was looking in the correct area, the FSS enabled us to find them because we were now able to scan bodies to indentify which ones have bio rarther than flying across the surface looking for POI's.

The fact that new biology was last discovered in space may simply be that every CMDR gets notified if there is space borne bio without having to scan everything, the fact that there have been no knew bio discovered on the surface of bodies may simply be that most CMDRS, as you claim at least, don't scan all the bodies in systems with the FSS and will therefore never know if they have missed anything. If you don't look for it you will never find it!

Even before chapter 4 was released FDEV stated that there were things out there in the galaxy that hadn't been found, good luck with that if those things are a particular surface bio restricted to a particular area in the galaxy.

I'm certainly not that everyone check systems the same way I do, I also don't claim that people are using the FSS incorrectly, basically do what you want, but I do smile when I see threads and posts from CMDRS claiming that all the bio has vanished because they can't find any, oh well.

Here's a neat little peculiarity. On an otherwise grey-ish and dull looking rocky moon was this quite large crater, covered in blue ice. Looked almost like a gigantic blue eye.

AyfTX0t.jpg

Here I am hovering at the edge of the smaller crater. Which really wasn't all that small either. That spike at the center is about 300m tall.
aLYtXk1.jpg

Here's a neat little peculiarity. On an otherwise grey-ish and dull looking rocky moon was this quite large crater, covered in blue ice. Looked almost like a gigantic blue eye.

AyfTX0t.jpg

Here I am hovering at the edge of the smaller crater. Which really wasn't all that small either. That spike at the center is about 300m tall.
aLYtXk1.jpg

Nice, it it a rocky ice world? The impact may have broken through a crust of deposited rock to expose the ice layer underneath.

I was in a system previously discovered by someone else, checking out a Bio site (bark mounds), when I saw this way off in the distance. I'm flying at an altitude of around 40km, and that mountain is over 20km in height. I spent almost a half hour looking for a place to set down on top of it, so I could SRV around for pictures, but no dice. 😒
1ywHn4Z.jpg

I was in a system previously discovered by someone else, checking out a Bio site (bark mounds), when I saw this way off in the distance. I'm flying at an altitude of around 40km, and that mountain is over 20km in height. I spent almost a half hour looking for a place to set down on top of it, so I could SRV around for pictures, but no dice. 😒
1ywHn4Z.jpg

Did you try setting down nearby and driving up, looks like it would be fun.

Nice, it it a rocky ice world? The impact may have broken through a crust of deposited rock to expose the ice layer underneath.
Just a rocky body, no mention of ice. Similar to the yellow mountain-moon I posted couple pages back, in that regard. But as Sysmon mentioned back there, there's probably a treshold that allows some ice on these bodies, while keeping them in a non-ice category. I saw couple of small, blue ravine looking cracks elsewhere on the moon, so there's definitely ice beneath the surface, and like you said, exposed by the impact.

1ywHn4Z.jpg
I was in a similar situation a while back. So frustrating. Would be great if the landing gear had at least some suspension, making it less picky about suitable landing spots. Sometimes feels like the ship is the princess from that old fairytale, who couldn't sleep because there was a pea under her mattress 😄

I wasn't referring specifically to surface bio in fact
So while we were talking about biological and geological sites on planets, you suddenly meant NSPs in space too? If you say so.

As for the sinuous tubers, good point, I had forgotten about those. After all, we only knew of them from one Frontier trailer, but nobody found them prior to Chapter Four. However, you're still wrong on new and unique bio and geo sites having been found months later: the tubers were found on the launch date as well.
So, the only stuff that was found months later were NSPs, which are much less frequent than planetside biological sites. Little wonder then that all the new surface content was discovered quickly. During DW2, people seem to have scanned far more bodies than these days, and even those few thousand explorers didn't find anything new and unique on surfaces.
Of course, we can always say that people are missing new surface POIs because the FSS and the current content pretty much conditions them to ignore them over time. The incredibly long scan times for geological POIs are quite destructive in this regard, too. If Frontier actually implemented "Rumoured" entries, that could help point out we've missed something, but so far, they've chosen not to. I'd wager they'll only do so when they add new content.

Top Bottom