Show us your interesting discoveries!

Four couples
Screenshot_0333.jpg

A German explorer fellow @KOLUMBUS has made an interesting discovery. The star Exaq RQ-X c1-0 is described as a "super hypergiant". Is this a new category? The solar radius is a record-breaking 2,642.0142. However, EDSM only categorises it as M4 Va with 0.5035 solar radii.

exaqrq-xc1-020220401-k3j9e.jpg

That's the B star you are linking to, not the A star, here is the A star, although it still doesn't seem to match the in game data with a radius of only 0.8706.

Is this repeatable - i.e., can you leave the system and go back, and it still show that? EDSM gets it's data from the Journal, which is written by the game - so the game knows what the star should look like. I assume in-game, this isn't 2642 solar radius? It looks to me like either a hiccup in the system map details (which then affect the associated text), or it's been doctored.

Definitely interested if it's repeatable, and if other commanders see the same too. Even more interested if it's actually showing in-game with 2642 solar radius - though I highly doubt this is the case.

Edit: Also interested in HZN vs ODY screenshot of system map.

A German explorer fellow @KOLUMBUS has made an interesting discovery. The star Exaq RQ-X c1-0 is described as a "super hypergiant". Is this a new category? The solar radius is a record-breaking 2,642.0142. However, EDSM only categorises it as M4 Va with 0.5035 solar radii.

exaqrq-xc1-020220401-k3j9e.jpg

Thanks to all who have speculated and thought so diligently here.

Alone, the date of the today should nevertheless give to think.:D

Hopefully nobody is annoyed now, but I must admit, I also would not have thought that this works so well that thanks to @Onkel Onkelson the contribution comes even into the FD forum.

But it seems that no one here has figured out that this was an April Fool's joke.

To explain it briefly, I took great pains to modify the screenshot of the system so that it looked as real as possible. This was done by changing the first two lines of the displayed text for the star, and the same for the sun radius, which I raised to a value equal to the distance to the main star.

Then I made the effort to photograph a similar red M-star so that it looks huge.

Here the original system map, that the two stars overlap, was actually a display error.
Exaq RQ-X c1-0 (20220328-194713)ORIGINAL.jpg

This is how it looked like in the original :D

And I hope nobody is angry with me because of that.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

What's up with blue water giants? I've only ever come across 2 of them, both in the same system:
20220403172734_1.jpg

The one chosen has a significant amount of carbon dioxide in its atmosphere, as opposed to others where its mostly water with .5% methane and ammonia. Any thoughts?

Hello!
Found a bug (or feature?). A gas giant that does not respond to DSS probes - they fly through. And because of his speed, he flies to the ship, flies through it and flies further - the player finds himself inside the planet. Also, when approaching the planet surface, the texture of the planet and the shadows change. The giant itself is very close to the T-dwarf, and as a pair they which orbiting around two nearby black holes at a very high speed.
Checked in Horizons and Odyssey - everything is the same.
System name - Prue Eaewsy AA-A h58 AB 2
Inside the planet
20220531034751_1.jpg

20220531030030_1.jpg

20220531025546_1.jpg

20220531205824_1.jpg

Hello!
Found a bug (or feature?). A gas giant that does not respond to DSS probes - they fly through. And because of his speed, he flies to the ship, flies through it and flies further - the player finds himself inside the planet. Also, when approaching the planet surface, the texture of the planet and the shadows change. The giant itself is very close to the T-dwarf, and as a pair they which orbiting around two nearby black holes at a very high speed.
Checked in Horizons and Odyssey - everything is the same.
System name - Prue Eaewsy AA-A h58 AB 2

I recently had a very similar experience to this. I gave up far quicker than you though and didn't try as much "debugging" as you have. It was a gas giant in a very fast eccentric orbit around it's parent (that I believe was a white dwarf).

I'll have to try and dig out the details and see if it responds the same as yours. In particular, I assumed it was just another Odyssey bug, didn't think to try Horizons.

I recently had a very similar experience to this. I gave up far quicker than you though and didn't try as much "debugging" as you have. It was a gas giant in a very fast eccentric orbit around it's parent (that I believe was a white dwarf).

I'll have to try and dig out the details and see if it responds the same as yours. In particular, I assumed it was just another Odyssey bug, didn't think to try Horizons.
This happened unplanned. I took screenshots next to this giant, and he constantly flew away from me. In the end, I decided to find out what would happen if I got in his way, given that he is so buggy. And got inside. It is interesting to know in the future what you checked in your case.
Are the exclusion zones touching each other? Can you fly through the gap?
Honestly, I did not check the flight through the gap. I forgot. But I think it's possible.

A fun job from a star generator.
Six carbon stars (two MS and four S) located in nearby sectors have the same and rounded masses and radiuses - 1.0000 (1.000000 in the log) solar masses and 30.0000 (20864999424.000000 in the log) solar radiuses. And these values are not limits, which is interesting for me.
Systems - Blua Hypoea ER-U d3-41, Blua Hypoea KV-Y d3, Blua Hypa NI-B d13-49, Blua Hypa BA-Q d5-149, Gyruerrs LS-I d10-26, Clookau BV-P d5-22.

Last edited:
Top Bottom