No, the Next Era is not space legs... But I think I know what it is.

I think something has been glossed over - based on game lore as best I know it, and not really being one to steep myself in it, I may be missing some bits, but...

To my understanding the original conflict between humans and aliens was the byproduct of a conflict between aliens and aliens, specifically between two different kinds of “Thargoids”, one was not particularly concerned with humans, the other felt humans to be a threat, or a pest, or whatever. But these two had already been at it with each other before we got swept up in the mix.

And there appears to be some measure of support for this position in game already:

Encounters with the Cyclops-variants, the “hyper diction” that was our first confirmation that there was something other than us out there, were relatively peaceful occurrences. We’d be stopped, scanned, and left alone.

Even now, though it has been quite some time since I’ve seen any manner of space artichoke, as I recall, the Cyclops-variants remain somewhat uninterested in us, outside of a Scan, so long as we keep a respectable distance and don’t shoot first.

The other varieties seem much more aggressive, and will attack with the only provocation of us being there.

So it may be viable to fork in two directions here, with the bug-huggers making peace with this less-aggressive lot and the bug-squashers taking the fight to the home world.
Is that from one of the Elite Dangerous books? I’ve only ever read the old freebie ones that came with Elite & the two Frontier’s, and there was a bit in The Dark Wheel that had the hero almost making a dangerous mistake:

“They're Oresrians, and the one thing that can make an Oresrian deadly is being confused the way you've just confused them, with their deadly enemies the Thargoids. Check the thorax markings and the shape of the fourth joint on each hind leg before you jump to conclusions again . . .”

Be cool if something like that was worked into the game.

“They're Oresrians, and the one thing that can make an Oresrian deadly is being confused the way you've just confused them, with their deadly enemies the Thargoids. Check the thorax markings and the shape of the fourth joint on each hind leg before you jump to conclusions again . . .”

If we get FPSpacelegs and something comes scuttling at me i will be checking the thorax and fourth joint on each hind leg with a gauss rifle!

🤞😑🤞

o7

It'd be kinda Mass Effect-ish to just not finish a storyline important to the universe of the game. Thargoids storyline gotta go somewhere. People shouldn't just shun an entire aspect of the game.

Why not? I shun cilantro and you don’t hear the cilantro complaining.

I don’t PvP because it bores me.
I only module tourist Power Play because I shun politics.

So I really don’t see an issue here. If people want to involve themselves with aliens, great. If they don’t, that’s great too.

Not a fan of thargoid story tbh went stale for me after first few months.....just to long with nothing happening! Great idea like but i would'nt pay for it.
Need WOW factor to part with my cash these day's

Now, I know a lot of us want space legs. I admit it, I think it would be very cool, and if they had space legs ready to go I would be ecstatic, because I don't think they would do it in half measures. With that being said, nothing leads me to believe that the Next Era is going to be the one. Let me explain this thought process.

Back when Frontier first announced Fleet Carriers, I had a thought. Look at the story of Elite so far. What has been the biggest focus for the plot? Unknown artefacts, strange alien attacks, structures made by a long-dead precursor race leaving the last remnants of their technology to whomever comes next; Humanity is at war. Whatever it is that we did to annoy them, we stirred a hornet's nest and then they stirred one right back. And what does man do in war? What do we do with Thargoid Interceptors, in this war? You find the still-beating heart of the enemy, and you rip it out. The heart of the Thargoid race is their home, and I expect Fleet Carriers will be the vanguard against the Thargoid homeworlds. I said it back then, but I don't expect I was the first person to say so. Now, this prospect sounds pretty exciting. Often when I talk to people about Elite they ask, "But what's the endgame like? What do you do with all those credits you've just earned?" How about attacking an alien homeworld on the other side of the galaxy? Using player-controlled capital ships to stage strikes on powerful, well reinforced enemy positions. Sound like an end-game to you? It does to me.

Recently, though, I got to thinking, "What if there's more to it than that?" There's a of couple things that keep nagging at me. The first is the community update posted on March 1st of this year. In particular, the section titled "Development supported events," a section conspicuously under the Next Era information, which leads me to believe the update to community goals will be related. For your convenience, I will post the relevant text here.

Combine this with the aforementioned, and we have event-supported war campaigns across the entire galaxy. That sounds pretty exciting, I think. But then there's the other thing that's nagging at me... Now, bear with me here, because I admit this part is a stretch.

alien_sympathiser_g_grid.png

I realize that decals don't necessarily mean anything, and maybe they only got added to appease some players, but there is a sizable and/or loud enough portion of the player base that would absolutely love to try their hand at making friends with the unknowable horrors from beyond space. What if these "ongoing, engaging, and varied sets of content that are supported by the development team" are community goals that can actually shape the future of the game in a very real, very meaningful way? There is a significant possibility that our Fleet Carriers won't just be the vanguard against the thargoids, but also against each other. Because I guarantee you that for every person fighting the thargoids, there is a player asking, "But what did they ever do to us that we didn't do to them first?" What if the Next Era is one where the players can work to impact the story in such a powerful way that I can't think of any precedent from a commercially successful game, save maybe EVE if you count Nullsec shenanigans. What if the Next Era puts players with opposing viewpoints on opposite sides, some scurrying off to the far reaches of traversable space to create their own small bubble of civilization, safe from the prying eyes of their enemies, only to return in force to help determine the outcome of an entire civilization? It sounds like a tall glass, but when you think about it, the mechanics are all already there. Colonia, Canonn and the Gnosis (as a conceptual touchstone for the impact of Fleet Carriers), the background simulation... It all exists, and that's before considering what the development team will have been working on for two years when the Next Era drops. The Next Era could be Our Era.

Well, here's hoping anyway. Fly dangerous, Commanders.

I think FDev calling this the largest change to the game to date and the fact it is taking over two years doesn't seem to support this as the only change coming. Perhaps something similar to what you are describing will exist in the game, but I highly doubt FDev would consider that the largest change ever to the game and it definitely doesn't require 100 people over two years to implement. There must be more to it than just dev driven events and an expansion of scenarios.

Also, the post you referenced had more to do with what will be happening between now and the big 2020 release to keep us tied over, not with what is coming in the the 2020 release.

This game desperately needs player vs player competition. E.g., PMFs territorial control, undermining, and pvp (ship vs ship) defense. Preferably team based and objective based. As it stands now, all we have is "ganking" and gweefing. And most definitely NOT in some instanced safe space - a living, breathing galaxy that we all share is preferable to one divided up into safe spaces (like we have now).

A group of us did do pvp against AX commanders so as to defend the Thargoids. But it got FDeved up in the latest big update of course.

Last edited:
There are many of us who simply don't give a crap about the Thargoids also.
I don't play golf on Grand theft Auto. I also don't flood Rockstar forums crying about golf on Grand theft Auto and would not.

Players deciding not to participate in a specific part of gameplay is one thing. It's an entirely different thing to want the devs to stop making that type of gameplay just because some players don't want to participate.

I compared it to mass effect because they left whole side storylines unfinished on their finished game.

I think that the existing assets in ED have been designed with an FPS type of gameplay in mind. Land at the thargoids structures deploy in FPS mode and shoot some goids would be pretty easy to do and make sense of the back of fleet carriers that can jump to hotspots around the galaxy.
Some of those Guardian sites I swear there's something that looks like a human sized door.. it has a distinctive pattern on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom