ANNOUNCEMENT Content Reveal Livestream - September Update - Recap

I doubt that new player experience will put a lot of players into ED. At least not for long. What is missing is content and progress. No one wants to have the same things in each system over and over again.

Looks like they have put a lot of effort into new player work - all that player testing also takes time. Just because someone does use something doesn't mean it is worthless - if fdev did a release based around PvP it would be of little interest to me, but I wouldn't say they shouldn't do it.

And it's not like we don't have a stream of new players through here getting confused (though really fixing the Steam signup process would be the best thing for them :) )

Understand that the complaint here isn't that the "new commander experience" isn't a good addition to the game. Its just an odd thing to hype an mid-year update with.

Not if you were going to add a brand new feature (say...spacelegs) to the game for the next big update and this was likely to attract many players back to the game (who maybe previously gave up early on) and a whole new range of players who at the moment weren't interested in flying spaceships.

Now if you're going to announce that well in advance of the release (says 6 months or so) then you'd want that 'new player experience' in place so that people who think of coming back early don't leave again for the same reason they did in the first place.

Not if you were going to add a brand new feature (say...spacelegs) to the game for the next big update and this was likely to attract many players back to the game (who maybe previously gave up early on) and a whole new range of players who at the moment weren't interested in flying spaceships.

Now if you're going to announce that well in advance of the release (says 6 months or so) then you'd want that 'new player experience' in place so that people who think of coming back early don't leave again for the same reason they did in the first place.
Erm, December is FC, not legs. Legs is December 2020.

Ok, so basically sit on the pad for a few hours while we are away doing something else?
I know ED is great as a waiting simulator (I'm looking at you Hutton Orbital or Smeaton, or any other star 100k+ LS from entry point) but this seems to just pile MORE on that. Wait and you shall be rewarded?
I'll make a petition to change the name: Elite Waiting Dangerous!

If you're trying (to some extent) to simulate the universe and its vast size it would be pointless not to have some large distances to travel. Fortunately there'squillions of other places that don't take long.

Yeah I know :) In fact Fleet Carriers might well be another reason for people to come back, so more reason to improve the player experience

Absolutely not for me. FC are just mobile stations but they offer no new gamemechanic. I was at least hoping for some fleet carrier battles :(

Well truth is we don't really know exactly what they can do yet.

I am pretty sure that it was confirmed that they wont be able to fight and from all information we have, its a safe assumption, that they will work as a private hangar with some starport functionality (depending on the modules you fit). Pretty underwhelming for me. I even doubt that they will be able to fly (only jump) what will make them even more boring.

What about people who play this game all the time? Why we are not taken into consideration again?!
Big disappointment.... again...

... which is a small interim update and most of the work is being done on the 2020 update. We need to go deeper! :D
True, but the fleet carriers update looks to be a somewhat larger small interim update compared to this one coming. What I want though are the updated iceplanets and rock scattering. Hopefully in the update after fleet carriers that will come.

The simulation didin't cover something that seemed to trip a few people up in the Horizons start: When leaving dock on a rotating planet surface in a dynamic system it is possible the planet is in the way of the high wake destination. Please add instructions on selecting a local target to low wake into high orbit first.

Sort of like the existing ingame message that says "align with escape vector"?

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Greetings Commanders,

As always, it is great to read through all of your feedback and review how you received our streams.

As we mentioned at the start of the year (here), this year's initial updates are designed around making the game easier to get to grips with in the initial stages and improving the quality of life overall in-game. Both the April and the September Updates do bring about changes to make information in the game more accessible as well as aiming to help new Commanders understand the complexities of controlling their first starship!

We haven't forgotten veteran players, who are fundamental to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, and we'll be bringing more information to you in the near future about the upcoming Fleet Carriers.

o7

Having seen more of the details on how Arx works, and the weekly accrual cap, I think it’s going to result in more real money being poured into cosmetics by players.

Need that little bit extra to get the paint job you want, and want it now? Think that ship kit would go great with your new paint job but you don’t want to wait a few weeks?

Well played Frontier.
And they've given us a shiny new spinny roundy cam view to drool at the pixel candies! :love:

ON SHIPS WE DON'T HAVE! Wait, are they encouraging us to play and buy ships too? :unsure:

Yea. That part made me a bit sad. They are -aware- that what they are doing is of little value. Yet they decided to do things this way, instead of doing it right. :(
Over half a decade as a volunteer /help channel moderator and know it all smarty pants who can look stuff up on the wiki for those who flat refuse to bother has demonstrated many people ignore any and all attempts to help them learn how to play the game until they see someone else with something they want.

Then as if by magic the Caps Lock key accidentally turns itself on and they demand answers.

I'm hoping this trend of telling you what keys to press on the HUD, such as the current 'press x to abort' whilst attempting to jump to an anarchy system, doesn't become a thing.

I noticed on the reveal video that, as part of the newbie features, there is now going to be an on screen notification telling you what key to press to disengage from supercruise.
I sincerely hope this message is confined ONLY to the starter experience as veterans have no need for such messages.
They are also a little immersion breaking when the HUD is telling you 'Press 'C' to disengage from Supercruise' or whatever.

Either have it as an on/off option in the menus or just confine these type of message to the starter experience.
Veterans don't need their hands holding.
This! ^^^

Top Bottom