XB1X 1080p vs. PS4 Pro

Exactly, the shadows on ps4 are horrible, the effect in the cockpit is even worse.

Btw Bongo, do play on One X or the One S?
I never had such bad shadows on my Original Xbox One (not even a One S) and definitely not on the One X.

Xbox One X, 4K quality mode on a 1080p screen

Save up for a 4k tv man, I did, the difference is huge, the resolution is much higher, orbit lines are realy thin and text in the cockpit so much clearer, well actually everything is a lot more crisp and calmer on the eyes too.

I can afford one, that's the easy bit. Convincing the missus that we need one is the hard bit 😁

And there is that yeah.
I told her that her favourite tv show would look much better and used her weakness for the environment by telling her that a led tv uses only a fraction of electricity compared to our old plasma, and my son made quite the difference too.

This basically gives you supersampled antialiasing, right?

Yes, the 4k High Resolution is downscaled/supersampled to 1080p which improves the antialiasing, the quality mode gives you all the enhanced effects etc. over the performance mode like heat blur from the engines etc.

It's funny but many of these extra effects I could live without. Heat blur as Frontier portrays it, for example, isn't something I'd expect in the vacuum of space. Exaggerated bloom is another effect that I don't need (except perhaps from the sun). All this smoke / fog spraying out of every vent in stations is something I'd turn off regardless of if it improved performance or not. That's one nice thing about PC, is that I can pick and chose my settings. I sure wish console makers allowed this as well, even if the settings were buried under some major "I promise not to sue XBox if performance drops to 10fps!" disclaimer.

Just give me good shadows / lighting, texture quality, and LOD / draw distance, and I'll be happy :D

It's funny but many of these extra effects I could live without. Heat blur as Frontier portrays it, for example, isn't something I'd expect in the vacuum of space. Exaggerated bloom is another effect that I don't need (except perhaps from the sun). All this smoke / fog spraying out of every vent in stations is something I'd turn off regardless of if it improved performance or not. That's one nice thing about PC, is that I can pick and chose my settings. I sure wish console makers allowed this as well, even if the settings were buried under some major "I promise not to sue XBox if performance drops to 10fps!" disclaimer.

Just give me good shadows / lighting, texture quality, and LOD / draw distance, and I'll be happy :D

Yeah pc gaming offers a lot more options in the graphic settings etc. but console is a lot less hassle regarding drivers etc.
If you don't care for special effects then you can choose performance mode on the Xbox One X though.

I'll never go back to pc gaming but I do miss some of the advantages though like a proper Hotas or full mouse and keyboard controll.

If you don't care for special effects then you can choose performance mode on the Xbox One X though.
How do shadows on XB1X look in performance mode? Surely even in this mode they must look better than they do on PS4. The irony is that one of the reasons I'm sure PS4 Slim defaults to the Pro's performance mode is that I very often get 60 fps, even on my humble hardware. I'd much rather have 30 fps and good shadows, except perhaps in combat zones where the extra fps is handy. At least Pro and XB1X get a couple of choices in this regards.

Oh, and you guys have to pay to play online, yes? I'm not really a fan of this...

How do shadows on XB1X look in performance mode? Surely even in this mode they must look better than they do on PS4. The irony is that one of the reasons I'm sure PS4 Slim defaults to the Pro's performance mode is that I very often get 60 fps, even on my humble hardware. I'd much rather have 30 fps and good shadows, except perhaps in combat zones where the extra fps is handy. At least Pro and XB1X get a couple of choices in this regards.

Oh, and you guys have to pay to play online, yes? I'm not really a fan of this...

As far as I know the performance mode only reduces the special effects, I don't recall seeing the resolution go down or suffering from bad shadows or shimmering in the cockpit, I only run in quality mode though.

Yes we pay for Xbox Live in order to play online.
I recently bought a year's worth for only 45 euro on a third party site which is much cheaper then buying it on the Xbox directly.
You also get four free games each month though, two Xbox One titles and two Xbox 360 backwards compatible.

Don't you have to pay for ps plus?

As far as I know the performance mode only reduces the special effects, I don't recall seeing the resolution go down or suffering from bad shadows or shimmering in the cockpit, I only run in quality mode though.

Yes we pay for Xbox Live in order to play online.
I recently bought a year's worth for only 45 euro on a third party site which is much cheaper then buying it on the Xbox directly.
You also get four free games each month though, two Xbox One titles and two Xbox 360 backwards compatible.

Don't you have to pay for ps plus?
You can also go for Gamepass ultimate these days...which is handy for folks like me who run a PC as well as an Xbox. It ties in my Xbox live gold account, gamepass on Xbox as well as on PC with the 100+ games in there... monthly sub at the moment of £10 but I can see it going annually at some point with a realistic discount as offered by other subscription based services like Origin Access premiere from EA or Uplay+ from Ubisoft.

Both of those on PC offer the entire game library and all DLC/season passes etc from both publishers with ViP access to ultimate edition versions of the upcoming release titles 3 days early and all for free (monthly/annual sub of course). I suspect Microsoft will offer something along the same lines with Gamepass Ultimate at some point...it's nearly there now with the PC Microsoft gamestore tie in.

As for the old Xbox live subscription system with the games for Gold thing...compared to other subscription services on offer on PC, it was pretty poor fare as a pay to play and platform exclusive setup... so nice to see Microsoft getting with the 21st century and current gaming trends at long last.

Last edited:
You can also go for Gamepass ultimate these days...which is handy for folks like me who run a PC as well as an Xbox. It ties in my Xbox live gold account, gamepass on Xbox as well as on PC with the 100+ games in there... monthly sub at the moment of £10 but I can see it going annually at some point with a realistic discount as offered by other subscription based services like Origin Access premiere from EA or Uplay+ from Ubisoft.

Both of those on PC offer the entire game library and all DLC/season passes etc from both publishers with ViP access to ultimate edition versions of the upcoming release titles 3 days early and all for free (monthly/annual sub of course). I suspect Microsoft will offer something along the same lines with Gamepass Ultimate at some point...it's nearly there now with the PC Microsoft gamestore tie in.

As for the old Xbox live subscription system with the games for Gold thing...compared to other subscription services on offer on PC, it was pretty poor fare... so nice to see Microsoft getting with the 21st century and current gaming trends at long last.

I still have gamepass ultimate untill November 2020.
There whas this deal where you could convert your regular Live Gold to Ultimate for 1 euro.
I still had Gold untill November this year so I first bought an extra year of Gold and then converted it to Ultimate for 1 Euro.

I still have gamepass ultimate untill November 2020.
There whas this deal where you could convert your regular Live Gold to Ultimate for 1 euro.
I still had Gold untill November this year so I first bought an extra year of Gold and then converted it to Ultimate for 1 Euro.
Same here...I don't have to pay any Xbox/Gamepass subs until next March..worked out pretty well.

You also get 3 months of it free when you buy a Ryzen processor, that's why I have it just now - bit ropey on the pc still, but I can see why Gabe Newell and Valve were worried and wanted their own alternative. If it gets the right games it will very quickly rival steam - as far as I'm aware elite isnt currently available as a gamepass game though - they'd either have to decide which "version" you were getting (pc or console) or merge xbox and pc server (far more likely in the long run I think).

I know some of you own both platforms, so how does ED compare, graphically-speaking? Specifically, PS4 Pro Quality Mode vs XB1X 1080p Quality Mode.

Also, is the XB1X HOTAS basically the same as PS4's, quality-wise?

And final question, do you folks have any XB1-specific bugs that are super annoying? You know, kinda like my EBL but different.

I ask all this because I might be in the market for an XB1X this Fall if the Black Friday price is right.
I play on One X, PS4 pro and high spec PC. I use the same 50’ OLED 4K TV and can say that graphically the One X and PC are very similar but the PS4 pro doesn’t compare. I would definitely recommend a One X but as others have said it may be worth waiting for the next gen? PC has advantages but it also has the faff of windows and driver updates, along with maintaining add ins etc.

Top Bottom