First AX attempt now?

No. If your heat is below 20% after destroying the second-to-last heart (where EMP is normally fired), the goid just won't use it at all. And even if you do get hit by it, just drift away in FA OFF.
Oh gotcha. So fire the heatsink and move on!

Well I converted the Chieftain and set to out fight the Cyclops.

I did rather well, actually, taking very little damage and mostly from my own guns overheating me. (thinking I might need to trade one of the small gauss cannons for another thermal vent, but maybe better heatsink usage would work)
I destroyed two hearts and then.....

.....My stick broke! In that moment! The trigger started not really holding down. So I didn't notice right away, but my flak started exploding instantly. Couldn't kill the 3rd swarm. Then I gave up thinking it malfunctioned and tried to fire on the cyclops again and the gauss cannons wouldn't fire.

I bailed at 18% hull and limped back to repair. Confirmed the trigger won't hold down properly anymore.
What a bummer! It'll be a few days before I can finish that guy off...

Joystick malfunctions suck, its never when you are just tootling along in no danger, always, always during combat.
Sounds like you got it covered tho👍

o7

Yeah, I have on order, the matching stick for my Thrustmaster throttle. I'd been waiting for this stick to die. It'll be nice to be able to use thrustmaster's software with the stick now, too; making input curves will surely help with my FAO and rail gun / gauss cannon accuracy!

Re heat output, putting a highly OCed PP won't help there, I did armoured grd4 + thermal spread to improve efficiency to keep heat output relatively low.
Although if you need all the output it gives, I guess you're stuck.....

Re heat output, putting a highly OCed PP won't help there, I did armoured grd4 + thermal spread to improve efficiency to keep heat output relatively low.
Although if you need all the output it gives, I guess you're stuck.....
Yeah, I've been turning that over in my mind. the Current PP on that ship is grade 5 overcharged, while I only need the power of a grade 3 overcharge. It does have thermal spread on it. I'm considering rolling it back, (or, more smartly, rolling a new one) but Armored isn't enough even with the monstered effect.
Ultimately I think I could save 10% of the PP heat if I redo that modification. I don't think that's going to be enough that I don't need to fire a heatsink or take damage by the 3rd volley of all 4 gauss cannons.
Either swapping out one of the smalls for another thermal vent, or adding another heatsink launcher at the cost of a shield booster. Not sure which will be my best option yet. I think I'll probably have to feel it out. At this point, I'm tooling around getting parts together, then I'll ship everything back out to thargoid land once my new stick comes in. I'll be prepared to try a few combos. I think I'll stick with the "just deal with it" plan for now. I have engineered the heatsinks now so that won't hurt. After I actually make my first kill I should have a better idea of what I really want moving forward.

Yeah, I've been turning that over in my mind. the Current PP on that ship is grade 5 overcharged, while I only need the power of a grade 3 overcharge. It does have thermal spread on it. I'm considering rolling it back, (or, more smartly, rolling a new one) but Armored isn't enough even with the monstered effect.
Ultimately I think I could save 10% of the PP heat if I redo that modification. I don't think that's going to be enough that I don't need to fire a heatsink or take damage by the 3rd volley of all 4 gauss cannons.
Either swapping out one of the smalls for another thermal vent, or adding another heatsink launcher at the cost of a shield booster. Not sure which will be my best option yet. I think I'll probably have to feel it out. At this point, I'm tooling around getting parts together, then I'll ship everything back out to thargoid land once my new stick comes in. I'll be prepared to try a few combos. I think I'll stick with the "just deal with it" plan for now. I have engineered the heatsinks now so that won't hurt. After I actually make my first kill I should have a better idea of what I really want moving forward.
Don't be afraid/don't try to avoid firing heatsinks en masse! It's kinda required for interceptor combat. Stock up on resynths, you're gonna need them.

It's not required for fighting a Cyclops, at least with a Krait. (I refuse to grind for HS spamming). I use the 4 HSs I do have purely to stop over heating from using SCBs.

It's not required for fighting a Cyclops, at least with a Krait. (I refuse to grind for HS spamming). I use the 4 HSs I do have purely to stop over heating from using SCBs.
Ok for cyclops maybe, but don't you wanna progress further at some point? Besides it's only low grade mats for sinks.

I would like to progress, but I can't be bothered to farm for mat's on a regular basis (even if low grade), so I don't bother fighting anything other than Cyclops when solo, I also hear that I'd need to learn FA off orbiting to fight the tougher ships, sod that! Lol. I do fight tougher interceptors in wings, that's good fun, although I don't join in against the Hydra's (nor do most people it seems), they're just ridiculously lethal!:rolleyes: (without HS spamming etc or being in a much bigger & tougher ship!).

I would like to progress, but I can't be bothered to farm for mat's on a regular basis (even if low grade), so I don't bother fighting anything other than Cyclops when solo, I also hear that I'd need to learn FA off orbiting to fight the tougher ships, sod that! Lol. I do fight tougher interceptors in wings, that's good fun, although I don't join in against the Hydra's (nor do most people it seems), they're just ridiculously lethal!:rolleyes: (without HS spamming etc or being in a much bigger & tougher ship!).
I killed Basilisk in a Chieftain without orbiting. So it is possible, though for Medusa not anymore. If orbiting is not for you, try a big ship, mainly Cutter or Corvette.

Alright, fine folks.
New stick is in. Spent my trigger-less play time doing some final engineering and prep to really get this boat fitted, and have a few extra options for adjusting ready at the local station. And I've shipped it and the other modules back out the the nebula. Ready to go for whenever my next real play session is.
Here is the build as it stands now.

I have an extra small thermal vent beam and an extra engineered heatsink launcher that I can sub in if I want them. All ready at the station.

Bring it on, bugs....

Alright, fine folks.
New stick is in. Spent my trigger-less play time doing some final engineering and prep to really get this boat fitted, and have a few extra options for adjusting ready at the local station. And I've shipped it and the other modules back out the the nebula. Ready to go for whenever my next real play session is.
Here is the build as it stands now.

I have an extra small thermal vent beam and an extra engineered heatsink launcher that I can sub in if I want them. All ready at the station.

Bring it on, bugs....
Nice :), is the scoop just a temporary fit for travelling?
And although it's handy to have in many ways, personally I'd ditch the xeno scanner for another shield booster.

Nice :), is the scoop just a temporary fit for travelling?
And although it's handy to have in many ways, personally I'd ditch the xeno scanner for another shield booster.

The scoop. I mean. I get that I won't need one to hunt bugs in Asterope, but I just never leave one off a ship. Why is it so big? Honestly, this was the one that was on here before I converted this ship for AX. The other version was a shield tank pacifiers/rails death machine. Generally I hate how heavy the ship feels when I load up on armor so... I just left it. I could throw in another HRP (there's one at the station) if I need to. I kind of think if I can't take these guys out with over 2.5k armor the problem exists between HOTAS and chair.

And, really? You don't scan them? I mean, I thought I needed this to see what the hell was going on and target them correctly? I've already taken of the field neutralizer on advise... Why do we have these modules if people don't use them?! Hahaha!

The scoop. I mean. I get that I won't need one to hunt bugs in Asterope, but I just never leave one off a ship. Why is it so big? Honestly, this was the one that was on here before I converted this ship for AX. The other version was a shield tank pacifiers/rails death machine. Generally I hate how heavy the ship feels when I load up on armor so... I just left it. I could throw in another HRP (there's one at the station) if I need to. I kind of think if I can't take these guys out with over 2.5k armor the problem exists between HOTAS and chair.

And, really? You don't scan them? I mean, I thought I needed this to see what the hell was going on and target them correctly? I've already taken of the field neutralizer on advise... Why do we have these modules if people don't use them?! Hahaha!
Scanner is useful for scouts, interceptors not so much.
You can see what you need to be shooting quite easily. (y)

Scanner is useful for scouts, interceptors not so much.
You can see what you need to be shooting quite easily. (y)
Really, because everything else I've seen says the opposite. Scouts show up and fully target/track with no special equipment, while interceptors scramble your targeting and can't be resolved unless you do the scan...

Really, because everything else I've seen says the opposite. Scouts show up and fully target/track with no special equipment, while interceptors scramble your targeting and can't be resolved unless you do the scan...
The scanner only is needed to see target info:
Hull %, Shield status, Heart %, Swarm size. Since Gauss are fixed, you don't really need to see that info to do the job.
Personally I always take a scanner with me, it's just nice to have and fighting without target info feels just awkward.

They don't scramble your targetting, just the info from the target, as per Dr Nagi's post above.
As for scoop vs HRP, have you fought an interceptor yet? ;). If you do heatsink spamming, you'll probably be ok, although if you're new to it you might find you'll need the extra HRP. I would definitely keep it nearby at least :).

Why have the SDFN & xeno scanner modules at all? Well they are handy, but not essential, for an EMP you can just FA off (boost if need be too, but you may end up going too far). And the scanner is handy but not essential (as above), for smaller ships it's more important to have another shield booster, or maybe a HS launcher.
Personally I think it's about time that Fdev finally intergrated the xeno scanner with the standard sensors.
Oh, and for scouts, it's very useful to target certain types of scouts 1st (I forget which, as I rarely equip the xeno scanner), especially if you're soloing 12 scouts or more! lol

Top Bottom