ANNOUNCEMENT September Update out now!

In my days of system testing, your test environment was an exact mirror of your live/production one.

Bugs still crept in mind you, normally if version control went a bit awry, but the bulk of stuff got caught before being pushed live.
At our work the test environment may not be an exact copy, given it has the intended changes, but pre-prod is (until updated).

One observation on FDev is that over the years they have had numerous instances of fixed bugs popping up again, while it's a guess, it feels very much like their source control practices are poor, and sometimes someone has done a bad merge / cocked up a build, and there's no regression testing to catch things.
The external observation of their devops practices seems poor.

One of the mods I think said recently something like "they only work 7 hours in the UK", which is true, but if we'd screwed up a live release you can be damn sure people would be pulling overtime until its fixed.
Or if serious enough, it'd be a rollback: and IME the recent update (given the impact on the majority of live users) would have been pulled until the bugs were fixed, and then pushed out again. We'd never get away with "it can wait over the weekend until Monday", but then our firm is commercial and not a game dev, so <shrug> yay for more relaxed business practices I guess :/

Anyway, lets see if the latest 500MB patch fixes things.

At our work the test environment may not be an exact copy, given it has the intended changes, but pre-prod is (until updated).

One observation on FDev is that over the years they have had numerous instances of fixed bugs popping up again, while it's a guess, it feels very much like their source control practices are poor, and sometimes someone has done a bad merge / cocked up a build, and there's no regression testing to catch things.
The external observation of their devops practices seems poor.

One of the mods I think said recently something like "they only work 7 hours in the UK", which is true, but if we'd screwed up a live release you can be damn sure people would be pulling overtime until its fixed.
Or if serious enough, it'd be a rollback: and IME the recent update (given the impact on the majority of live users) would have been pulled until the bugs were fixed, and then pushed out again. We'd never get away with "it can wait over the weekend until Monday", but then our firm is commercial and not a game dev, so <shrug> yay for more relaxed business practices I guess :/

Anyway, lets see if the latest 500MB patch fixes things.
I think you've pretty much nailed it, and also very accurately described the gap between games devs and devs working in commercial markets.

I'm retired now, but I used to work in FinTech. Guess what: screw-ups ain't tolerated over there. So we use professional DevOps practices.

It only took 1.5 hours but it's downloaded. :D

I'm curious if you don't mind; What part of earth are you and what type of connection are you subject to? Me, Rocky Mountains, wired internet and it was about 5 or 6 minutes. Yeah off topic but there was the opening to ask.

Would rolling back this release be the lesser of 2 evils? The number of problems seems diverse and extensive, some affecting in-game economy by giving free money effectively...

I'm curious if you don't mind; What part of earth are you and what type of connection are you subject to? Me, Rocky Mountains, wired internet and it was about 5 or 6 minutes. Yeah off topic but there was the opening to ask.
No landline but tethered to a mobile. 4G connection and at one point was downloading at 17Gbps but then everything went sloooooooow.

The perils of using an EE connection in the NE of England. :mad:

Well then, I learned some more English today. Rude isn't rude when it comes to health ? I'm curious about the history that led to that expression.

I'm fascinated to learn that nobody knows. Even the Oxford English Dictionary just gives the meaning (robust and sturdy) and not the etymology. It seems that this sense is strictly limited to "in rude health"; it isn't used anywhere else.

There's three possibilities. Rude originally meant crude and lacking refinement. You can still have a rude hut for example and, in that case, it certainly wouldn't be robust and sturdy. It would simply be crudely built. In this sense it was associated with peasants, who may be assumed to be robust and sturdy, but that seems a bit of a stretch.

The other options are more uncertain though. It may be derived from ruddy, as in ruddy faced, but there's no evidence for that and the two words have different roots; rude is from latin, ruddy from Old English. Another possibility is roid, which is an obsolete Middle English and Scots dialect adjective meaning stout, strong; violent, rough, but that means that the two words must have been confused at some point.

No landline but tethered to a mobile. 4G connection and at one point was downloading at 17Gbps but then everything went sloooooooow.

The perils of using an EE connection in the NE of England. :mad:

I have heard a lot of complaining about connection speed and cost in UK. Guess I am just lucky here.

Edit; Beautiful country BTW, hope to get back before too long.

Last edited:
I have heard a lot of complaining about connection speed and cost in UK. Guess I am just lucky here.

Edit; Beautiful country BTW, hope to get back before too long.
It's generally cheaper than the USA, at least if you use a landline. My mobile is limited to 5GB/month, (because I'm cheap) so I'm glad I didn't have to use that.
I hardly noticed the download here, it was about 30 seconds, but I'm on superfast broadband. I pay £50pm for phone and broadband, which is maybe twice as much as the cheapest option, but I get superb customer service.

It's generally cheaper than the USA, at least if you use a landline. My mobile is limited to 5GB/month, (because I'm cheap) so I'm glad I didn't have to use that.
I hardly noticed the download here, it was about 30 seconds, but I'm on superfast broadband. I pay £50pm for phone and broadband, which is maybe twice as much as the cheapest option, but I get superb customer service.

About 85 mbps dn/7 mbps up here. Not the best but not bad for $77. Down right speedy compared with the 300 baud acoustic coupler I started on back in '74.

About 85 mbps dn/7 mbps up here. Not the best but not bad for $77. Down right speedy compared with the 300 baud acoustic coupler I started on back in '74.
You lucky. lucky ...
I had to make do with 110 baud before I got to university in '79. But it sounds like our connections are more or less similar.

You lucky. lucky ...
I had to make do with 110 baud before I got to university in '79. But it sounds like our connections are more or less similar.
TTY33 tied to PDP-8, killer! Gotta love that punch tape.

Edit; come to think of it, it could have been about 110

TTY33 tied to PDP-8, killer! Gotta love that punch tape.

Edit; come to think of it, it could have been about 110
In '74 it was a Data Dynamics TTY connected to a HP2000, but it was upgraded about '76 to an ICL1906F.
All of the schools in the whole of Birmingham, UK used the same single computer.

In '74 it was a Data Dynamics TTY connected to a HP2000, but it was upgraded about '76 to an ICL1906F.
All of the schools in the whole of Birmingham, UK used the same single computer.
Hazeltine 2000? I thought I died and gone to heaven with no more scrolling paper.

I'm fascinated to learn that nobody knows. Even the Oxford English Dictionary just gives the meaning (robust and sturdy) and not the etymology. It seems that this sense is strictly limited to "in rude health"; it isn't used anywhere else.

There's three possibilities. Rude originally meant crude and lacking refinement. You can still have a rude hut for example and, in that case, it certainly wouldn't be robust and sturdy. It would simply be crudely built. In this sense it was associated with peasants, who may be assumed to be robust and sturdy, but that seems a bit of a stretch.

The other options are more uncertain though. It may be derived from ruddy, as in ruddy faced, but there's no evidence for that and the two words have different roots; rude is from latin, ruddy from Old English. Another possibility is roid, which is an obsolete Middle English and Scots dialect adjective meaning stout, strong; violent, rough, but that means that the two words must have been confused at some point.

You may find something useful at the following site.
Phrontistery

Well then, I learned some more English today. Rude isn't rude when it comes to health ? I'm curious about the history that led to that expression.

I think its a case of parllel word development, where you end up with two words that are spelled the same and sound the same but differnt original.

In the case of rude health, it looks like its related to ruddy (which means strong/robust) and from Old English rud/rudig for red. In England, if you see someone with red tinted skin it either means they have been performing physical labour or spend a lot of time outdoors (because in England, to get a tan, you practically have to live outdoors to catch those odd moments of sun).

Top Bottom