Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Somewhat disappointed to discover that scanning one of the un-credited planets in the Colonia system did not put my name on it :( I mean it did seem unlikely, but I'm pretty sure I did find a planet at th edge of the bubble and get my name on it earlier this year x)

Was it a glitch that some of them were scanned and tagged?

Happened to me too. Post #4551 on the previous page.

I've just finished a Maia massacre mission for 6M in My Cobra, Got another M to cash in combat bounds. Next up I will outfit my cobra for deep core mining (my first try at mining). My intention is for the proceeds to go to a Vulture for combat purposes, and keep the cobra either for mining or discovery and start the engineering of the Vulture.

I've just finished a Maia massacre mission for 6M in My Cobra, Got another M to cash in combat bounds. Next up I will outfit my cobra for deep core mining (my first try at mining). My intention is for the proceeds to go to a Vulture for combat purposes, and keep the cobra either for mining or discovery and start the engineering of the Vulture.
You won't regret the Vulture. It is probably the ship with the highest fun factor in the game. It's got agility, packs a punch and can be quite sturdy when needed. Start by engineering the PP to Overcharged G1 or G2. Then add a Thermal Spread experimental effect. The Vulture is rather power hungry once you start engineering the rest of it. Pin the Overcharged blueprint, so you can upgrade whenever you need more power.

I've used the Vulture a lot to test different weapons and their engineering. It's excellent for that. I ended up with frag cannons, rapid fire, screening shell. It's a beast, but you quickly run out of ammo. No free lunch ;)

You won't regret the Vulture. It is probably the ship with the highest fun factor in the game. It's got agility, packs a punch and can be quite sturdy when needed. Start by engineering the PP to Overcharged G1 or G2. Then add a Thermal Spread experimental effect. The Vulture is rather power hungry once you start engineering the rest of it. Pin the Overcharged blueprint, so you can upgrade whenever you need more power.

I've used the Vulture a lot to test different weapons and their engineering. It's excellent for that. I ended up with frag cannons, rapid fire, screening shell. It's a beast, but you quickly run out of ammo. No free lunch ;)
I certainly will look at overcharging the powerplant. Haven't yet really started engineering (though I originally headed to Maia to unlock Felicity). At the moment I think I will mostly want to engineer for combat in the vulture, are there some particular engineers which would be most useful first? My playtime is limited so I don't want to "waste" a huge time building an engineer which isn't really that helpful yet. I will likely go for frag cannon or cannon, to change to pacifier later.

On my way to the middle of nowhere, I happened to stumble upon a not yet discovered something. Does that mean I can name it with a goofy name? Where in the game do you do that?
Well.. I think it gets your name. Is your name goofy?

...are there some particular engineers which would be most useful first?
It depends. If you want to build a combat ship, I would definitely look into shield generators and shield boosters, but those are mainly good for combat and not much else. I think most people start by unlocking an engineer that can fix the FSD, like Felicity or Elvira. Next the thrusters, PP and PD. You can skip those and go straight for the weapon engineers, but the core modules are important in combat as well.

Engineering the thrusters both gives you more speed, but also much better maneuverability. Engineered thrusters however, need more power, and a better PD. Otherwise it runs out of juice after a single boost. Most engineering works quite well without going all the way to grade 5. Also the experimental effects are available once you've unlocked the engineer and done a simple G1 upgrade. For G5 you need exotic mats, but for G1-G3 you can get along without too much mat grinding.

Weapon engineering is a jungle, and there are the standard metas that most CMDRs cling on to, but I think there are hidden gems, if you start experimenting on your own, because we all have different combat styles and therefore different preferences and priorities.

Here's an excellent video on which blueprints to pin from what engineers, including some description of why:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FqzeVRDAs

Prepared my ship for mining next session... But something seem wrong with my pulse wave scanner. Look at the graphic in the picture below. Why is the scan so pixelated? How do I fix it? That doesn't look at all like I've seen from other people.

Prepared my ship for mining next session... But something seem wrong with my pulse wave scanner. Look at the graphic in the picture below. Why is the scan so pixelated? How do I fix it? That doesn't look at all like I've seen from other people.

I think it looks pretty normal. You are in a bright ring, which seems to cause pixelation. Try selecting the nearby star as target and fly in the ring towards the star. Then you'll see the dark side of the rocks, making it easier to distinguish the ones you're looking for. On the other hand, here you get the beautiful god rays for free ;)

I think it looks pretty normal. You are in a bright ring, which seems to cause pixelation. Try selecting the nearby star as target and fly in the ring towards the star. Then you'll see the dark side of the rocks, making it easier to distinguish the ones you're looking for. On the other hand, here you get the beautiful god rays for free ;)
I will try that next time I'm on! Hopefully that's all that's "wrong" - user error!

"To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies! To the whisperer in witchspace, the siren of the deepest void! The parent's grief, the lover's woe, and the yearning of our vagabond hearts. To Raxxla!"
— Alleged toast of the Dark Wheel

599 km out. I can see the actual neutron star now. Heat levels are still ok, but the radiation is distorting with my camera. The light is blinding but beautiful. I'm going in...

Well, the Crab Pulsar is NOT the portal to Raxxla :)

Still, no gain, no pain, and I managed to survive. From a distance of 600 km I started approaching the star carefully at sub supercruise speed, until I reached the exclusion zone at 270 km. From there I couldn't get any further. It was actually not very dramatic, even though it felt that way. The heat build up towards the exclusion zone, but only reached ~55%. You need to approach the star at a 90 deg angle to the jets, as the jets become rather violent once you get close.

As a bonus I managed to image the actual neutron star. I think that is the first time that has been done. At least a google search and a forum search didn't find anything. I haven't looked through all the images I took yet, but here is one showing the star:

(Edit: Better version)

Not the prettiest picture, but it proves that there is really something in there beneath all the light and harsh radiation. The attention to detail in this game keeps surprising me.

On my way I also passed the Rosette Nebula and found this beautiful "stellar sunrise":

All in all it has been a very content rich day so far, and it ain't over.

Last edited:
Out there mining in MINTEC, not far from Founders World is a 2 trillion ton pristine B ring of stuff....how the heck do I send probes to this?
distantrings.jpg

So, I used a Star Trek method and lobbed a full spread of probes, various distances, while I sat above the pole of the planet.
Like trying to hit a home run out of the ball park...
At least one hit , shows many void opals and low temp diamond hot spots. Back to gathering finances again...

Well, the Crab Pulsar is NOT the portal to Raxxla :)

Still, no gain, no pain, and I managed to survive. From a distance of 600 km I started approaching the star carefully at sub supercruise speed, until I reached the exclusion zone at 270 km. From there I couldn't get any further. It was actually not very dramatic, even though it felt that way. The heat build up towards the exclusion zone, but only reached ~55%. You need to approach the star at a 90 deg angle to the jets, as the jets become rather violent once you get close.

As a bonus I managed to image the actual neutron star. I think that is the first time that has been done. At least a google search and a forum search didn't find anything. I haven't looked through all the images I took yet, but here is one showing the star:

View attachment 147118
(Edit: Better version)

Not the prettiest picture, but it proves that there is really something in there beneath all the light and harsh radiation. The attention to detail in this game keeps surprising me.

On my way I also passed the Rosette Nebula and found this beautiful "stellar sunrise":

View attachment 147095

All in all it has been a very content rich day so far, and it ain't over.

Where does the high quality screenshots save (ALT-F10)? I had a quick look the other day but couldn't even find elite in my steam folder!

Also, the correct terminology is either over OR out. Never both, that's a hollywood thing. Over is when you expect a reply, out when you're communication is complete. "Over and out" literally mean "reply and don't"

Last edited:
Where does the high quality screenshots save (ALT-F10)? I had a quick look the other day but couldn't even find elite in my steam folder!

Also, the correct terminology is either over OR out. Never both, that's a hollywood thing. Over is when you expect a reply, out when you're communication is complete. "Over and out" literally mean "reply and don't"
If you haven't found it, open explorer, go to "This PC" and search for "HighResScreenShot_". That should find them.

Btw. I like teasing by deliberately using wrong expressions like "no gain, no pain". I do know that "Over" and "Out" is "I expect a reply" and "I don't expect a reply", and that "Roger, over and out" causes any radio enthusiast to go through the roof, but that just makes it more fun. It's like asking an astronomer what sign they were born in, or whether they do horoscopes. That works every time ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom