Patch Notes September Update - Patch 3

Dear FD, I really appropriate that you fixing the bugs now, it is a problematic process, and I respect your work.
However, September update came out with few game braking bugs and numerous smaller one...
This is a bit too much, even for us here, people that know the way Updates comes.

I was prepared that there could be bugs. It is usual occurrence, at list for Elite Dangerous.
But this time something went really, really wrong. I assume it is due to ARX implementation, as it was quit complex to blend it in the game and connect it with the rest of existing mechanics.

If you ask me, Dear FD's I would rather not have September update at all, and wait until December to get all the content from both updates, properly tested.
I would join beta, to help you test it for you, for free.
And yea, I would do it with all my enthusiasm, especially if I would know that things like "Landing Gears on Mamba" would be fixed if I would find them.
If not in the Update, during 1 or 2 hot fixes, with the little mark like:
"It been found during beta, but due to time limits we could not fix it for the update, so we fix it now"
That small remark changing the flavor for me already, and changing it dramatically.

Thanks Will, Thanks Frontier.

I have read in several threads of the forum in general, things that make me think of:

There are comments that are pure criticism for being the most similar to a trolls, who have no other forum to criticize (is it because they have been expelled from those other forums?) ... that simple.

Original:
He leido en varios hilos del foro en general, cosas que me hacen pensar en:
Hay comentarios que son pura crítica por ser lo mas similar a un trolls, que no tienen otro foro para criticar (¿será porque han sido expulsados de esos otros foros?) ... así de simple

There are certainly some salt been thrown towards FD's, some are going a bit too far with that I think.
But the point is similar most of the time. And the point is, players dont want to have broken Updates. At list not THAT broken...

I would join beta, to help you test it for you, for free.
And yea, I would do it with all my enthusiasm, especially if I would know that things like "Landing Gears on Mamba" would be fixed if I would find them.
If not in the Update, during 1 or 2 hot fixes, with the little mark like:
"It been found during beta, but due to time limits we could not fix it for the update, so we fix it now"
That small remark changing the flavor for me already, and changing it dramatically.
I bet there would be an army of beta testers willing to test new features and check that existing features still work. Perhaps the testing would need to be more formally planned: you, you, and you - test this, that, and the other feature/aspect of the game. This is a large and complex piece of software so it's not surprising there are many unexpected behaviours.

I used to build power amplifiers, and out of a batch of 20, despite them all being thoroughly tested, and running non-stop for a week in the test rack, you could always expect one or two to crap out on their 1st night, because you cannot put 3000+ brand new components into a device, and expect them all to work perfectly every time.
Also shows there's no test quite like the real thing.
However, we'd have a spare amp or two on standby, & after sorting out any opening night glitches, they'd generally run well for years.

Swap out the words 'power amplifiers' for 'Patches' & 'components' for 'code' & that seems to me to be pretty much how Frontier do it too :)

Accusing them of 'trying to break the game' or 'not testing it' is completely ridiculous.
the final stage of the test is 'how does it cope when 10,000 people log on'.
Get used to it.
Its ok.

I used to build power amplifiers, and out of a batch of 20, despite them all being thoroughly tested, and running non-stop for a week in the test rack, you could always expect one or two to crap out on their 1st night, because you cannot put 3000+ brand new components into a device, and expect them all to work perfectly every time.
However, we'd have a spare amp or two on standby, & after sorting out any opening night glitches, they'd generally run well for years.

Swap out the words 'power amplifiers' for 'Patches' & 'components' for 'code' & that seems to me to be pretty much how Frontier do it too :)

Accusing them of 'trying to break the game' or 'not testing it' is completely ridiculous.
Get used to it.
Its ok.

Like, a recent example of a big big company testing their stuff and still having an update breaking things once it's live : of course the recent Youtube update that messed up things for more than 3 days wasn't tested, Google clearly has no QA, no devs working on patches and does want you to not use Youtube obviously. :rolleyes:

And they're not the only ones.

But who cares, right ?

If I paid 60 dollars to play Elite multiple thousands hours, being unable to play reliably for a few days is totally the end of the world and justifies attacks against the team instead of just voicing disappointment 🤷‍♂️

Get used to it.
Its ok.

Of course Frontier aren't trying to break the game, but your comparison just doesn't work.

My local baker releases hundreds buns a day and not once were they filled with bugs. Should we ask him how to do software testing?

First issue i seem to have encountered. Scanning a data point from the SRV turret has given me a soft lock

** EDIT **

Getting a lot of soft locks now, from random things like reading messages in the chat window, checking mfd's button 1, button 4, and it's happening regularly atm

Last edited:
Not so good - the number of Open Letters is right down and zero attempts at forum surveys. We're hoping to get some FC threads later in the day so we can have some meta-fun with them instead. Otherwise we might actually have to play the game, and that can't be allowed ;)
Fear not my fine fellow...I plan to write an open letter about FCs. That should keep you entertained for a few minutes :)

Third time i've had to quit the game (via task manager) due to soft locks since patch 3, what the hell is going on now?

Greetings Commanders,

The Elite Dangerous servers will be offline for all platforms on the 10 October at 07:00 (UTC) to apply the September Update - Patch 3.

Thank you for your understanding.

Please find the full Patch Notes below:

Cockpit UI
  • Fixed an issue that caused multiple modules to appear to change priorities instead of just the one that was selected
  • Fixed a small performance stutter when opening the modules tab
Crashes/Stability
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when handing in a mission
  • Fixed the issue causing a softlock at mission boards (and removed the workaround missions)
Exploration
  • Fixed an issue where the system map was missing Commander names for First Discovered and First Mapped
General
  • (Xbox One only) Replaced 'Debug Test' text that appeared when giving a ship a name or ID on Xbox One with 'Enter Ship Name/ID'
  • Fixed missing Flak Launcher VFX
  • Fixed an issue that stopped some previously allowed characters from being able to be used in ship IDs
Network
  • Fixed an issue where some types of non-Ethernet connections were rejected
  • Further work has been made towards restoring VPN connections by:
    • (PC only) Adding ability for players to select which network adapter to use in the network options list (VPN connections will appear here)
      • Note if you change the selected Network Adapter here, you will also need to restart the game
    • Stopping the game from terminating if unable to connect to a network. This allows players into the network options screen to check that their VPN connection is selected
Render
  • (Xbox One only) Fixed a screen tearing issue on Xbox One when in 4k Quality mode
Please, will the paintings that disappeared from the store come back one day? you said in patch 2 that you had fixed it, but they just disappeared.
(salvage paints to DBX,tactical ice and graphite to Type-9...)Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom