Carrier refuelling?

The PFC will be able to support Many roles TRADE is included...
02-jpg.141079

Each role build allready confirmed as buildable...

The PFC will be able to support Many roles TRADE is included...
02-jpg.141079

Each role build allready confirmed as buildable...

Cheers. (y)

I thought I'd seen it somewhere.

I can think of "special features" that'd be useful for most types of Carriers listed there (System Authority, UniCart, IF, S&R Contact etc) but I can't really think of anything aside from extra storage that'd be useful for Trading or Mining.
I suppose those ships might have an on-board commodities market but unless it provided good prices it'd be pointless.

Can you clarify what 'unique' resources are?
It will be a new commodity, which can be mined or bought from certain starports. We will be exploring this in more detail in a future livestream closer to the December Update.
You can continue to guess the name but no Existing items will be used for fuel ever...
Brand new item only...
Do notice that they have not yet stated laser mining or Deep core mining so you can guess about which mining type is required...
Which ring type...
...and what % per collector and how many will be neeeded to make 1 hole item for cargo...

20%-30% per chunk is my guess and Deep core only... and metal rich ring only..

Last edited:
You can continue to guess the name but no Existing items will be used for fuel ever...
Brand new item only...
Do notice that they have not yet stated laser mining or Deep core mining so you can guess about which mining type is required...
Which ring type...
...and what % per collector and how many will be neeeded to make 1 hole item for cargo...

20%-30% per chunk is my guess and Deep core only... and metal rich ring only..

See, we keep coming back to the same things...

To prevent players from stockpiling sufficient fuel to get right across the galaxy, a Carrier is going to need to use large quantities of fuel for one jump.
If a Carrier uses large quantities of fuel for one jump, refuelling it is going to be brutal if the fuel is difficult to obtain.

I don't mind spending 3 or 4 hours laser-mining to obtain several hundred tonnes of whatever-it-is but the idea of having to spend, say, 10 hours DC mining for every 500Ly the Carrier travels is enough to make me think twice about bothering to buy one.

Who knows?
Maybe we'll all be surprised and one of the Support Ships will be a "fuel processing ship" and we'll be able to go off doing other stuff while the Support Ship collects fuel for us?

See, we keep coming back to the same things...

To prevent players from stockpiling sufficient fuel to get right across the galaxy, a Carrier is going to need to use large quantities of fuel for one jump.
If a Carrier uses large quantities of fuel for one jump, refuelling it is going to be brutal if the fuel is difficult to obtain.

I don't mind spending 3 or 4 hours laser-mining to obtain several hundred tonnes of whatever-it-is but the idea of having to spend, say, 10 hours DC mining for every 500Ly the Carrier travels is enough to make me think twice about bothering to buy one.

Who knows?
Maybe we'll all be surprised and one of the Support Ships will be a "fuel processing ship" and we'll be able to go off doing other stuff while the Support Ship collects fuel for us?
yep I pray its not deepcore but Fdev like to force the newer mechanics on to the user... and as I hate deep core, Fdev will be doing deep core...
With medium ships being best for deep core that lowers the cargo even more per trip...

yep I pray its not deepcore but Fdev like to force the newer mechanics on to the user... and as I hate deep core, Fdev will be doing deep core...
With medium ships being best for deep core that lowers the cargo even more per trip...

I dunno, could be subsurface - that mechanic seems to have been very under utilised and they spent time on it.

Eight docked Type-9s could easily have over 5,000t of the new fuel commodity in their holds - which would be 100 x 500LY jumps at 50t/jump.

As long as those are 8 Type-9's belong to 7 other players, since we can't switch ships and leave one sit full of cargo - unless you know something we don't....

Piloting has nothing to do with it.
Navigation in Elite is by jumping to a star correct.
So if the carriers follow that basic navigation rule then the carrier will be close to the primary star on entry.
Seems logical for the carrier to scoop it's on fuel from that position, like you said they can't be piloted.
Has visions of active carrier fleets forming mobile dyson spheres around stars.

Another possibility:

Carriers can carry thousands of tons of fuel, AND you don't need much per jump, so you could indeed carry enough fuel to get anywhere in the galaxy... but some other factor limits how often you can jump, so drastically that the travel time is similar to a normal ship. So maybe one 500ly jump per 10 minutes, equivalent to 10 50ly jumps in about that time. This could be achieved either with a really long witchspace transition (it's 500ly after all), or a long windup and/or cooldown time, or both. Ironically this would make neutron-jumping in a normal ship a much faster way of travelling than a Carrier (though more hassle).

Problem: making the player wait that long between jumps is not exactly compelling gameplay. However, FDev have hinted at the ability to schedule jumps remotely, so maybe that's why. You could be doing other things. Given that some people complain about being "unable to do anything" during ship-transfer delays, there will still be some who complain about this too. And if you hope to catch up with (or run ahead of) your Carrier, make sure you pick a suitable ship. If your Carrier suddenly leaves you 500ly from anywhere in a mining ship with low jumprange and no fuelscoop, you might have to wait another 10 minutes to call it back again and pick you up.

Another possibility:

Carriers can carry thousands of tons of fuel, AND you don't need much per jump, so you could indeed carry enough fuel to get anywhere in the galaxy... but some other factor limits how often you can jump, so drastically that the travel time is similar to a normal ship. So maybe one 500ly jump per 10 minutes, equivalent to 10 50ly jumps in about that time. This could be achieved either with a really long witchspace transition (it's 500ly after all), or a long windup and/or cooldown time, or both. Ironically this would make neutron-jumping in a normal ship a much faster way of travelling than a Carrier (though more hassle).

Problem: making the player wait that long between jumps is not exactly compelling gameplay. However, FDev have hinted at the ability to schedule jumps remotely, so maybe that's why. You could be doing other things. Given that some people complain about being "unable to do anything" during ship-transfer delays, there will still be some who complain about this too. And if you hope to catch up with (or run ahead of) your Carrier, make sure you pick a suitable ship. If your Carrier suddenly leaves you 500ly from anywhere in a mining ship with low jumprange and no fuelscoop, you might have to wait another 10 minutes to call it back again and pick you up.
The way you describe it is very likely to be exactly how it would work, but to actually think about it, having Carrier with scheduled jumps of 500 Ly (regardles of time or cooldown needed between jumps) still makes absolutely no sense in terms of contributing to gameplay anyhow. I mean, all you need for comfortable deep space exploration is a ship with ~60 Ly. And it's painfully obvious that any ship with ~60 Ly jump will be travelling in space FAR quicker and easier than Carrier, which will be lagging far behind at your normal pace.

Hauling Miners/Fighters in the deep is pointless, because there won't be a market to sell rocks, and there are PLENTY of pristine deposits of any minerals all around Bubble, plus there's absolutely nothing to fight with in the deep. You can still successfully mine mats with your SRV or ship laser if you wish so during the trip anyway. So what the point of Carrier for exploration? Even less so there's real need of it in combat or mining.

Well, concept itself is really cool, and for roleplay (with Squadrons) it might be somewhat fun, but other than that, any substantial impications are really hard to see here... Really hope it won't just be another grind timesink.

So if I built this game this is how the explorer PFC mods would work..

The explorer outfitting modification to PFC by the support ships would mod the PFC with uni-cart fitted as a service on a PFC...
This would put an end to dieing at a neutron star and losing all your explorer data from 12 weeks ago as you could have had your PFC to hand in data 1 week ago...
PFC would put an end to getting the 9G planet landing wrong and ending up spawning at the last station you passed in the bubble because your respawn is the PFC...
This is the option that setting a PFC as a explorer build might finaly remove after that mistake.. (find out in december)

If you bounce of the high G planet and only have 10% of the hull left you can repair that damage at a PFC... not limp to a station..
The PFC can jump 500LY with out jumpomium... this means you can use it to go beyond were a single 300ly anaconda can not jump.... these allow an extra 500LY out on the rim now... thats another bigger jump range to areas the anacondas never could go to...
PFC are repair and refuel and rearm by default for explorers they could act as a big safety net (TBC in dec).

Last edited:
I thing it has to be some kind of tedious process which must take you much longer than traveling 500LY on your own and it must be not always possible to accomplish. Otherwise it would be too easy and too much fun and it would have to be nerfed as Python once was. I know, I know I'm too sarcastic, just can't help it.😜

Exploity when those 7 altCMDRs are all console free accounts and PC players have to shell out cash for each and every one of those.

And this is one of the reasons they might allow the Carrier to be refueled only by the owner, while the guests are enjoying the scenery and the R&R provided by the carrier

Want a billion Credits? Paypal me $10 and I'll authorise you to land on my Carrier, where there's a billion credits' worth of VO's in store for you to take.
What stops us or anyone else of doing that now?
Paypal me $10 and I'll drop 700t of VO your way.
Sure it will take a few minutes to collect all that, but you can do that today already.

Top Bottom