What other games are we all playing?

Placed on wish list. Broke this month. :(
Don't worry. Regardless of whether you're in US or not, just

1. wait 5 more weeks for Thanksgiving. Then

2. at the dawn of Black Friday aka at 12:01 am EST on Nov 29, log into Steam for some MASSIVE price discounts Steam will be slapping on everything in the store.

3. You're welcome :giggle:

ps: I missed out on Subnautica and NMS last year this time. Subnautica was going for some $14.00 USD and NMS around $30-$35. Ended up getting
complete collection of Tropico 5 (and ALL of DLC that came with that) for only $10 USD.
Stellaris and all of it's DLC for only $15
Space Engineers base game for $5 <--If you're dying to play an alternate sandbox space game with dedicated space legs for PvE and/or PvP, THIS is the one for you. Especially now that they've added 3 awesome DLC content packs which added amazing custom content and a viable game economy. Regardless of whether you play solo or team up with other players, Space Engineers is a solid alternative to NMS (better graphics IMO)
X4 Collector's edition for $35 <--Finally scratched my itch between this and Space Engineers
The ENTIRE Cities: Skylines collection with ALL expansion DLCs for $40 <---one of the best deals I've got on Steam to date

That's only $15 on Steam (it's an older game as I understand it), and that is regular non-sale price. I hear many think it's better than X4, though perhaps that's due to bugs in the newer title.

X3: AP/TC is the most developed game of the two, but only because it's had several versions before it that it builds on. I wouldn't say it's a better game than X4. Just the best of that generation. My personal favourite was X2: The Threat, but whatever. 🤷‍♀️

X4 however is a complete rewrite, taking what few good things there were in X-Rebirth (avoid), combined with the previous X games. However, X4 is probably about 6 months away from being mature IMO. It's just had a big patch, but that'll be the last one this year they say. It's still very playable, but the learning curve can be extremely daunting, especially if it's your first X game. It's not particularly buggy now though I don't think. Unlike some developers not too far from this forum, Egosoft are pretty responsive and pro-active in dealing with major bugs (there were quite a few at release).

Last edited:
X3: AP/TC is the most developed game of the two, but only because it's had several versions before it that it builds on. I wouldn't say it's a better game than X4. Just the best of that generation. My personal favourite was X2: The Threat, but whatever. 🤷‍♀️

X4 however is a complete rewrite, taking what few good things there were in X-Rebirth (avoid), combined with the previous X games. However, X4 is probably about 6 months away from being mature IMO. It's just had a big patch, but that'll be the last one this year they say. It's still very playable, but the learning curve can be extremely daunting, especially if it's your first X game. It's not particularly buggy now though I don't think. Unlike some developers not too far from this forum, Egosoft are pretty responsive and pro-active in dealing with major bugs (there were quite a few at release).
Yeah, that the general problem with X games - they become good after two years of patches, updates and re-released better versions. So right now, X3 IS a better game than X4. Next year it may change.

Do these X games build on the previous? I can see getting X3 during Black Friday this year and X4 next. It sounds like I probably want to do them in that order, if for no other reason, to not miss X4 features in X3 if I played them in reverse.

Definitely go for X3 before the 4th if you are planning on getting both, if anything for no other reason than by next year you'll find X4 (hopefully) vastly improved on version 3.0 or past that, and with at least the first DLC (adding lots of new systems, ships and stuff) already out.

Also because if you truly are an enthusiast of space games, X3 is one of the seminal titles to have. (Yes, that is personal bias :p)

Definitely go for X3 before the 4th if you are planning on getting both, if anything for no other reason than by next year you'll find X4 (hopefully) vastly improved on version 3.0 or past that, and with at least the first DLC (adding lots of new systems, ships and stuff) already out.

Also because if you truly are an enthusiast of space games, X3 is one of the seminal titles to have. (Yes, that is personal bias :p)
I feel though that it would be also fair to warn potential newcomers to X games of how unwieldy, clumsy and awkward they can be, especially at the beginning. X3 is is one of those games that literally have more features than they know what to do with. Cluttered and fractured UI doesn't help either.
It takes a LOT of effort to get into these games and you really have to be a hardcore enthusiast to dig your way to the golden heart of theirs.

I mean. People complain about steep learning curve in Elite, but that's peanuts to X games.

Yep. Here's to hoping it will finally get the bug and performance closure it needs. But until then, I just use mods over at Nexusmods forum to fix the game and enhance the game play. A good number of mods are available at some 124 or so to date. If you haven't added any mods to your game, you're really missing out. Here's the link at Nexusmods:

http://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations

I feel though that it would be also fair to warn potential newcomers to X games of how unwieldy, clumsy and awkward they can be, especially at the beginning. X3 is is one of those games that literally have more features than they know what to do with. Cluttered and fractured UI doesn't help either.
It takes a LOT of effort to get into these games and you really have to be a hardcore enthusiast to dig your way to the golden heart of theirs.

I mean. People complain about steep learning curve in Elite, but that's peanuts to X games.
Totally worth it, though.

Space Engineers base game for $5 <--If you're dying to play an alternate sandbox space game with dedicated space legs for PvE and/or PvP, THIS is the one for you. Especially now that they've added 3 awesome DLC content packs which added amazing custom content and a viable game economy. Regardless of whether you play solo or team up with other players, Space Engineers is a solid alternative to NMS (better graphics IMO)
This game has really caught my eye, and it's been on my Steam wishlist for awhile, but I wasn't sure how good it was. Sounds like you give it a hearty thumbs up!

X-Plane. Trying out a new (free) Edge 540: :cool:

This game has really caught my eye, and it's been on my Steam wishlist for awhile, but I wasn't sure how good it was. Sounds like you give it a hearty thumbs up!
What the hell are you waiting on?!?? Get this ASAP on Steam during Black Friday madness. Or I'll find you in forums and beat the living feathers off you Duck!

Space Engineers is the space version of Minecraft meeting Gary's mod with superior graphics. It's got single player, multiplayer, Co-op and online multiplayer modes. Single player is fully fleshed out with sand box and campaign modes. But IMO, online multiplayer is where most of the action and challenges are at. And that recommendation is coming from a lone wolf PvEr who prefers Solo gameplay :LOL:

Little known fact: Space Engineers has consistently beat ED in player base participation on Steam top 100 games. Seems space legs has given it a constant boost of some 2000 or so more players v. ED ever since it left early release.

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

It's currently $20 USD now but will likely drop to at least $10 or so during the holidays. Remarkably stable, with zero performance/frame rate/network server issues. And an addictive sandbox (and mission based) game play for a game that recently left early release. Even though it's out of early release phase, the devs are still adding more solid game play feature and mechanics to it. It now has three DLC packs that were recently released a few months ago.

These DLC packs are dirt cheap and totally worth the price. Note The Space Engineers - Economy Deluxe DLC is MANDATORY, since it adds the much requested and vital game economy to the game. Besides some great customization skins, there are vending and ATM machines you can now add to your sandbox base build as functional modules. These allow you to trade with NPCs (if single player) and/or with other players/within your Squadron/wing/group organization (if playing in the other multiplayer modes). Heck, it even includes SKINS for your base safe zones. Safe zones are an awesome feature which extend an indestructible shield around the surface of your base. So no other players can access/enter your base air space unless you give them permissions.

Base shielding/defense exclusion zone is shown at 0:15 (no skin) and 2:10 min (shows several of the new skins) in the video below. The DLC pack adds 14 awesome safe zone skins that you can add to make your base stand out in really cool textures. Gives you a PvP/ganker free zone (yes it's a PvE oriented game but there are some really great player orgs which RP pirates and do clandestine raids on other player bases etc). But the sole purpose of the safe zone shield is that its passive defense system grants you complete peace of mind lol I hope ED can get a feature like this some day where we can protect our ships when landed on planets.

btw while you're window shopping and strategizing on what to buy: Get the PC version of RDR2 as soon as R* releases it on Steam. I'm still playing on XBX1 and happy to say RDR 2 has restored my faith in R*. I thought they had departed from their single player /RP dev roots like Bethesda, with their release of that husk of a shell that GTA V was. Get it because it seems RDR 1 remastered will be the real deal some time later as well. And since they're on PC, then three more words for game longevity: MODS baby MODS.

Last edited:
I am well and truly doomed. LOL
I followed your lead and picked up Stellaris on steam for $10.00. My wife saw me looking at it and asked if it was co-op, I said no.
She loved Civ and Masters of Orion in co-op.
She comes in later with another mouse and sez. I know how we can play together. Hook up this other mouse.
NOW she can sit at the desk beside me and be a side seat driver and micro manage.
FIE on you elite players. :)

Last edited:
I am well and truly doomed. LOL
I followed your lead and picked up Stellaris on steam for $10.00. My wife saw me looking at it and asked if it was co-op, I said no.
She loved Civ and Masters of Orion in co-op.
She comes in later with another mouse and sez. I know how we can play together. Hook up this other mouse.
NOW she can sit at the desk beside me and be a side seat driver and micro manage.
FIE on you elite players. :)
She sounds like a keeper.

Few people in my faction's Discord got into Space Engineers, wasn't about to get into that myself as i'm waiting for Starbase, but the things they built were so cool i had to get SE also and now im hooked. :D

Top Bottom