New Era in Unreal Engine or Cobra Engine?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
why on Earth they have to license another engine when they have a working engine that they perfectly know because they developed it and that is suited to the tipe of game they built ence they don't have to make compromises?
All this discussion is ridiculous

'this bickering is pointless' ...

sollisb

Banned
why on Earth they have to license another engine when they have a working engine that they perfectly know because they developed it and that is suited to the tipe of game they built ence they don't have to make compromises?
All this discussion is ridiculous

Actually, it's not... There is are multiple super good reasons to move away from Cobra and you're not going to like them.

Using an inhouse only engine severely limits a company. In multiple areas. 1. There are no 'experienced engine devs', 2. Your training cost is much more. 3. You are limited to engine abilities only developed inhouse. 4. It won't scale without further inhouse design and development.

The benefits of using a Commercial Engine; 1. A vast developer-base, 2. Less training overheads, 3. Ongoing scaleability, 4. Ongoing develeopment of engine not required inhouse.

The negatives of using a commercial product. 1. Licencing. 2. A probable 'looks all the same' type scanario. 3. Devs jump ship more fluidly.

The negatives of using a commercial product. 1. Licencing. 2. A probable 'looks all the same' type scanario. 3. Devs jump ship more fluidly.

Plus the 'the engine doesn't do what is needed' of course. Which is kinda a big deal, and why ED, NMS and X4 all use their own engine. And which is why SC has been, and will remain, in such a mess. But when you ignore the 'actually releasing a game' part then yeah, there is no point really to using your own engine.

Btw, there are also excellent reasons not to put fuel into a plane: it saves money, fuel is bad for the environment, it increases the weight of the plane, can provide a safety hazard and so on. As a small sidenote, it is kinda needed to get the thing in the air. Its also needed to keep it in the air. But yeah, lots of reasons against fuel, too.

sollisb

Banned
Plus the 'the engine doesn't do what is needed' of course. Which is kinda a big deal, and why ED, NMS and X4 all use their own engine. And which is why SC has been, and will remain, in such a mess. But when you ignore the 'actually releasing a game' part then yeah, there is no point really to using your own engine.

Btw, there are also excellent reasons not to put fuel into a plane: it saves money, fuel is bad for the environment, it increases the weight of the plane, can provide a safety hazard and so on. As a small sidenote, it is kinda needed to get the thing in the air. Its also needed to keep it in the air. But yeah, lots of reasons against fuel, too.

I haven't seen anything in Elite so far that I wen woah, that's new in any other engine I've ever seen. Could you maybe tell me which are the parts that can only be done in Cobra?

Taken to basics... We have a skybox, and a cockpit. The rest are assets with advanced gravametic code driven maths to simulate the gravity pulls. The trading is simple Database and menus. The Exploration just as simple and the combat is mediocre at best.

As a developer, I'd love to hear what the Cobra engine gives them that none of the other commercial offering do not.

As a developer, I'd love to hear what the Cobra engine gives them that none of the other commercial offering do not.

Then I am pleased to welcome you to read this topic. If I may give you a small hint: I would also encourage you to look how FD, HG and EgoSoft went about to solve the various issues you inevitably run into when making a space game. Then you can read up on what the CIG devs ran into with their licensed engine, which parts they have been unable to solve five years after missing their first release date, and why. Then finally you can, carefully, start to consider if there maybe is a reason why ED, NMS, X4 and Battlescape Infinity all run their own engines, and why the poster child for getting a 'standard engine' is also the go-to example for how to fail development of a game.

It could be, just think about it, that "there is a skybox" is a pretty dumb way of looking at it. You know, as a developer.

The fact that ED already exists in Cobra Engine is a good point not to switch to UE.
If FDEV had to start over again from scratch I would much prefer the game to be in UE for two simple reason:
1. Unreal Engine is well known by many developers so when FDEV hire a new guy he can start working immediately without spending time in training.
2. There are countless games built on this engine so it's far more tested and you can expect it's more realiable.
Regarding 2, that's not really a valid point. All the mechanics that lead to bugs in Elite would still need to be coded in UE. It's not the engine that is buggy. Unreal Engine doesn't has a button for 'create SLF' or any other feature of Elite. It would still need to be developed in a very similar (if not identical) way to how it gets developed now, potentially introducing exactly the same bugs.

sollisb

Banned
Then I am pleased to welcome you to read this topic. If I may give you a small hint: I would also encourage you to look how FD, HG and EgoSoft went about to solve the various issues you inevitably run into when making a space game. Then you can read up on what the CIG devs ran into with their licensed engine, which parts they have been unable to solve five years after missing their first release date, and why. Then finally you can, carefully, start to consider if there maybe is a reason why ED, NMS, X4 and Battlescape Infinity all run their own engines, and why the poster child for getting a 'standard engine' is also the go-to example for how to fail development of a game.

It could be, just think about it, that "there is a skybox" is a pretty dumb way of looking at it. You know, as a developer.

i thank you for the veiled put downs, but what I asked you was; what was in Elite that could not be done in another commercial engine.

Maybe read what you are being asked?

No I'm saying something differently. To develop atmospheric planets and legs Fdev needs probably too reinvent the wheel because there are engines that can clearly already do that and with very nice results. Taking about a theoretical ED2 so dissociates from the current game.
Using a different engine would meant to reinvent even more wheels (if they are even capable) since they can't do any of the things the cobra engine can do.

You are confusing cost and income. Besides missing the point completely.
The missing income is a cost in the business model, but there are other "pure costs" (like the parking place -it's much more expensive than what you may think- and maintenance tasks and checks to be performed with a certain frequency) but I don't want to go OT, the list would be long and probably boring, so it's not like parking a car in the garage and lock the doors.

Last edited:
Using a different engine would meant to reinvent even more wheels (if they are even capable) since they can't do any of the things the cobra engine can do.
Ok, but what can the Cobra engine do that other engines can't do? I've already asked this questions a couple of times without answer.

Would you mind to argue and elaborate more the reasons why a new space sim like a theoretical "Elite Dangerous 2" would not take advantage of being developed on an existing engine like Unreal or anyone else, rather than on an unfinished and propertary engine (that no other developer knows outside their company).
Which are the pros and cons for this choice? Is there any "real" expert here that could explain?
I believe this was already explained. Most engines can't render large scales with the required accuracy.

Not really. How many ls is that star away?
Why is the distance that important? If there's nothing in-between does it really matter? I'm asking because when I work in CAD (2D and 3D) it's the number of elements and their complexity that makes the model heavier, not the absolute size.

Last edited:
I'm asking because when I work in CAD (2D and 3D) it's the number of elements and their complexity that makes the model heavier, not the absolute size.
Prolly because you are working with vector graphics, not really comparable with what a game engine is trying to do. Otherwise we'd be playing CAD 3D.

Anywho, having your own engine disconnects you from external dependencies, something you want as an indie game developer. You don't have to march up to the drumbeat of someone else. Besides, graphic engines aren't silver bullets. As mentioned, scale and the airless environment can be very well the reason why Cobra does a better job (lighting for instance) than others, or not. Only one party who can really answer this question, which they won't for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom