Optimum Settings for Valve Index?

Once again trying to figure out the best balance with a new HMD. Running a 1080TI with a 8700k. 120hz is beautiful in game but naturally destroys my SS value. Curious to know what refresh rate and SS people are settling on.

Finally got round to loading Elite back onto my machine last night to try out, but, need to do my bindings first etc, so gonna report back later with my findings. What i have found though is setting SteamVR SS to 100% is giving me the clearest visuals in most games i'm trying, unless they're old or seemingly rendering at a lower resolution for the older HMDs. And yeah, also 120hz seems to be pushing my 1080ti/9900K rig too much for intensive games like this. It seems to be right on the limit, so i'm thinking 90hz for Elite and then trying to get it as clear and smooth as possible.

Any joy? I have index also with 2080ti, I'm trying to find the optional settings

I can do ingame 1 SS and 1.5 HMD, but reprojection keeps kicking in. It looks like steam has different reprojection settings now, you can no longer turn off interleaver reprojection.

Playing with steam SS and leaving in game alone, it looks like I maybe able to get more SS performance, it looks like at first glance I use less GPU and CPU power doing it through steam.
I'm at base steam video SS 150, and application SS 140

I'm still playing, how about you...

Are you aiming to run with or without reprojection kicking in. Reason for asking I see ghosting when it kicks in especially in combat zones

Last edited:
Any luck guys? I'm on a I7-8700k OC 5.1Ghz and with a RTX 2080TI, even at VR LOW I can't get it to work at 120Hz re-projection free, I don't really know what else to try..

You're not going to be able to hit 120FPS at all times in this game, hell it barely hits 90FPS 100% of the time on lower res devices running at 90Hz. Personally when I play I set the Index to 80Hz so I can up the graphics to something reasonable and even then I still see some drops below 80FPS in various scenarios, but I'm only running a 1080Ti /8700k. I have motion smoothing disabled.

@ebbrell interleave reprojection only worked for HMD rotation, motion smoothing is 6DoF and as such works for positional tracking also. Much like the difference between Oculus's ATW and ASW.

Last edited:
im running at 80hz also, not see a difference at 90hz, to be honest I would need to see CZs make a difference.... I have my cores at 4.5 and a RTX 2080ti also, near stations the performance gets hit hard.

we should start quoting supersampled rendered resolutions to measure how hard people are pushing the HMDs

You're not going to be able to hit 120FPS at all times in this game, hell it barely hits 90FPS 100% of the time on lower res devices running at 90Hz. Personally when I play I set the Index to 80Hz so I can up the graphics to something reasonable and even then I still see some drops below 80FPS in various scenarios, but I'm only running a 1080Ti /8700k. I have motion smoothing disabled.

@ebbrell interleave reprojection only worked for HMD rotation, motion smoothing is 6DoF and as such works for positional tracking also. Much like the difference between Oculus's ATW and ASW.

Thank, I can get 90FPS 100% of the time with VR HIGH with my setup, so it works perfectly for me at 90Hz, I was just wondering if someone was able to find a settings combination to make it work at 120FPS... but thanks anyway.

Thank, I can get 90FPS 100% of the time with VR HIGH with my setup, so it works perfectly for me at 90Hz, I was just wondering if someone was able to find a settings combination to make it work at 120FPS... but thanks anyway.
Of course you can mate... I love these "magic" rigs some folk seem to think they have. This game does not output 90FPS 100% of the time even on a Rift CV1. There are and will always be scenarios when your frame rates dip in this game using current hardware no matter your settings. You'll see dips in stations, you'll see them in busy RES / CZ, you'll get dips at engineers bases, perhaps you'll loose frames in a busy instance on a planet - everyone experiences these fps dips in some place or another. This game does not work "perfectly" and as such you do not get 90 FPS at all times. All you can do is work to get the best visuals while maintaining a stable(ish) framerate unless of course you want to stoop into ASW / Motion Smoothing land and don't mind doing so.

You have to think, if current hardware struggles to run this game at 90FPS on Gen 1 HMDs, what chance does it have at running at 120FPS on the newer higer res, more demanding HMDs? None. Well at least with any reasonable level of viusal fidelity. Of course you could lower all your settings, then under sample and maybe, just maybe you'll get a native 120FPS for 90% of your game play, but honestly what would be the point in that? There is very little gain to be had from 120Hz in this game particularly when you measure how much you'd need to downgrade in order to get there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom