Multicrew - Lets Give it some Love Please, Devs

MultiCrew is a really massively under-used feature that could be so great with just a little bit of fixing. Here are my ideas for what could be done. Now the Devs are fully into maintenance mode pending 2020's spacelegs, this could be an area of the game that could do with some love.

1. FIX THE HUGE NUMBER OF BUGS! First thing on the list. These are famous and need fixing, I wont go into them here.

2. ENCOURAGEMENT FOR CMDRS TO OPEN THEIR SHIP TO MULTICREW. There are few crew slots available, it is very hit-or-miss whether you can join a MultiCrew session at all. Mostly a miss. There needs to be more incentives. Could be extra Arx. Better rewards for CMDRs who open MultiCrew slots. The corollary of this is also true and it would be very nice for MultiCrew crew memebers to get some extra rewards, example maybe some of the materials CMDR gets. While on a surface, one CMDR goes in a fighter to scout metallic asteroids, other gathers, both profit. Many ways to do this. Many ideas.

3. MAKE IT OBVIOUS HOW TO INVITE SOMEONE TO A MULTICREW SESSION. I have seen a lot of CMDRs complaining they could not get people they wanted in their crew and it turns out they were just relying on the automatic instancing to do it. Could me MUCH more clear. Make some kind of easy, explicit way to invite friends to a MultiCrew session.

4. CREW SLOTS TO BE SET AS OPEN BY DEFAULT. One big thing that would massively help make MultiCrew more popular. Allow the crew slots to be set to "automatically open" as an option. People are so lazy to open up a crew slot and many times would not object to the company/help. I know I would be happy to take someone around with my adventures. But hardly ever/never do I open a slot. Having an option to automatically open a slot when I leave a station would be grand. The open slot icons can also be quite intrusive and there has to be something more subtle if there is an automatic option. Might actually be a good idea to make this a lot more subtle when searching for a crew member also, with the full icon only appearing when someone joins your ship.

5. WINGS WITH MULTICREW! What a massive oversight. So many people would love to have crew+wings but it just cant be done atm.

6. OPTION TO OPEN 1 SEAT ONLY + other fine-grain control options. In 3 seat ships both seats open up and there is not much control over things. There aught be more fine-grained control over who can sit on your ship, and also what they can do while sat there.

7. OTHER CMDRS TO CONTROL YOUR SHIP while you go in a fighter. Or go to the loo. Or watch TV on a long voyage you are doing together. For explorers especially I could see how this would be great and am surprised it was not done. Could have been done really nice with expeditions and 2 CMDRs name being on things(as an option for primary CMDR to toggle on). Its a great way for friends to journey together, esp if 1 can control navigation (galaxy map etc) and other flying the ship.

8. MULTICREW AVAILABLE IN SOLO. Open MultiCrew for solo players. There is no risk of ship loss as a MultiCrew crew member. No reason why a solo player aught not to be able to join an open MultiCrew session, and it can also be a nice stepping stone into open play. Open players searching for a crew slot slot can see if its an open/solo and choose "include solo" if they wish. Right now solo players are completely cut off from MultiCrew. One of the big reasons why people play Solo is fear of ship loss, NOT because they dont want to play with others. No good reason/objection why MultiCrew aught not be an option for them. Any opinions on MultiCrew being opened to solo from the solo community @Mad Mike ?

9. MORE SHIP CONTROLS AVAILABLE TO CREW. This has to tie in with more fine-grained control of what/who is allowed to sit in the crew seat. Right now MultiCrew is useful only for combat, and perhaps(one could argue) mining. It has so much more potential. Exploration was mentioned above, galaxy map access would be needed for a navigator to plot the course, pilot to fly the ship/do the scooping. Srv control by crew member. Fighter to scout planet + Srv. Many things would be great to do with friend.

10. PUNISHMENTS FOR 5th COLUMNISTS/TROLLS. Opening ship to someone is an act of trust and deliberate sabotage is not an acceptable form of gameplay. I have no idea how this could be done. But I dont accept MultiCrew treachery as something that is valid gameplay. People know me I am pretty liberal what I find acceptable but this is not.

So, these are my ideas, I think fixing/improving MultiCrew would be a valuable use of Dev time until we get next update.

Signing off,

CMDR Gavin786

First point on your list: Yes.
Rest: Unfortunately no. Frontier has made it very clear that there will be no new content until summer 2020.

Add a SELECT HELMS / NEXT / PREVIOUS / HOSTILE TARGET button bind for the Gunner. You know, the GUNNER!!
It's damnearimpossible to hunt around for enemy with the ship spinning around all over the place under you.

Add a way to LOCK HELMS TARGET automatically for the Gunner and stay locked until next target is selected (see above).

Add a RADAR SCREEN for Gunner when in FIRE MODE. Having it only in cockpit mode is utterly useless.
You know, the GUNNER!! The guy helping you shoot things!!

X.

Last edited:
MultiCrew is a really massively under-used feature that could be so great with just a little bit of fixing. Here are my ideas for what could be done. Now the Devs are fully into maintenance mode pending 2020's spacelegs, this could be an area of the game that could do with some love.

1. FIX THE HUGE NUMBER OF BUGS! First thing on the list. These are famous and need fixing, I wont go into them here.

2. ENCOURAGEMENT FOR CMDRS TO OPEN THEIR SHIP TO MULTICREW. There are few crew slots available, it is very hit-or-miss whether you can join a MultiCrew session at all. Mostly a miss. There needs to be more incentives. Could be extra Arx. Better rewards for CMDRs who open MultiCrew slots. The corollary of this is also true and it would be very nice for MultiCrew crew memebers to get some extra rewards, example maybe some of the materials CMDR gets. While on a surface, one CMDR goes in a fighter to scout metallic asteroids, other gathers, both profit. Many ways to do this. Many ideas.

3. MAKE IT OBVIOUS HOW TO INVITE SOMEONE TO A MULTICREW SESSION. I have seen a lot of CMDRs complaining they could not get people they wanted in their crew and it turns out they were just relying on the automatic instancing to do it. Could me MUCH more clear. Make some kind of easy, explicit way to invite friends to a MultiCrew session.

4. CREW SLOTS TO BE SET AS OPEN BY DEFAULT. One big thing that would massively help make MultiCrew more popular. Allow the crew slots to be set to "automatically open" as an option. People are so lazy to open up a crew slot and many times would not object to the company/help. I know I would be happy to take someone around with my adventures. But hardly ever/never do I open a slot. Having an option to automatically open a slot when I leave a station would be grand. The open slot icons can also be quite intrusive and there has to be something more subtle if there is an automatic option. Might actually be a good idea to make this a lot more subtle when searching for a crew member also, with the full icon only appearing when someone joins your ship.

5. WINGS WITH MULTICREW! What a massive oversight. So many people would love to have crew+wings but it just cant be done atm.

6. OPTION TO OPEN 1 SEAT ONLY + other fine-grain control options. In 3 seat ships both seats open up and there is not much control over things. There aught be more fine-grained control over who can sit on your ship, and also what they can do while sat there.

7. OTHER CMDRS TO CONTROL YOUR SHIP while you go in a fighter. Or go to the loo. Or watch TV on a long voyage you are doing together. For explorers especially I could see how this would be great and am surprised it was not done. Could have been done really nice with expeditions and 2 CMDRs name being on things(as an option for primary CMDR to toggle on). Its a great way for friends to journey together, esp if 1 can control navigation (galaxy map etc) and other flying the ship.

8. MULTICREW AVAILABLE IN SOLO. Open MultiCrew for solo players. There is no risk of ship loss as a MultiCrew crew member. No reason why a solo player aught not to be able to join an open MultiCrew session, and it can also be a nice stepping stone into open play. Open players searching for a crew slot slot can see if its an open/solo and choose "include solo" if they wish. Right now solo players are completely cut off from MultiCrew. One of the big reasons why people play Solo is fear of ship loss, NOT because they dont want to play with others. No good reason/objection why MultiCrew aught not be an option for them. Any opinions on MultiCrew being opened to solo from the solo community @Mad Mike ?

9. MORE SHIP CONTROLS AVAILABLE TO CREW. This has to tie in with more fine-grained control of what/who is allowed to sit in the crew seat. Right now MultiCrew is useful only for combat, and perhaps(one could argue) mining. It has so much more potential. Exploration was mentioned above, galaxy map access would be needed for a navigator to plot the course, pilot to fly the ship/do the scooping. Srv control by crew member. Fighter to scout planet + Srv. Many things would be great to do with friend.

10. PUNISHMENTS FOR 5th COLUMNISTS/TROLLS. Opening ship to someone is an act of trust and deliberate sabotage is not an acceptable form of gameplay. I have no idea how this could be done. But I dont accept MultiCrew treachery as something that is valid gameplay. People know me I am pretty liberal what I find acceptable but this is not.

So, these are my ideas, I think fixing/improving MultiCrew would be a valuable use of Dev time until we get next update.

Signing off,

CMDR Gavin786
Don't forget the SRV.

SRV Operations would be the one, best addition for Multicrew - with only one potential problem, and even that is rather minor:

Being Left Behind.

A warning would need to be issued to the pilot if an active multi-crew member is left behind in an SRV.
Crew members left behind would need a means to transfer their disembodied consciousness back to whichever ship left them there.

SRV Operations would be the one, best addition for Multicrew - with only one potential problem, and even that is rather minor:

Being Left Behind.

A warning would need to be issued to the pilot if an active multi-crew member is left behind in an SRV.
Crew members left behind would need a means to transfer their disembodied consciousness back to whichever ship left them there.

I don't see that being too much of a problem. After all, it's just tele-presence.

I don't see that being too much of a problem. After all, it's just tele-presence.

in quality ED inconsistency the SRV ISNT telepresence. mechanically it is kind of like that... you get blown up and you respawn on your ship..... however unlike the SLF you are not tied to your ship, if your ship gets blown up you stay stranded in your SRV, and if your ship flies off you stay in your SRV.

perhaps it should have been telepresence - I would much rather have telepresence SRV controlled from the ship than telepresence ships crew however... i will never support that one.

in quality ED inconsistency the SRV ISNT telepresence. mechanically it is kind of like that... you get blown up and you respawn on your ship..... however unlike the SLF you are not tied to your ship, if your ship gets blown up you stay stranded in your SRV, and if your ship flies off you stay in your SRV.

perhaps it should have been telepresence - I would much rather have telepresence SRV controlled from the ship than telepresence ships crew however... i will never support that one.

Multicrew, however, is a tele-presence function - which is likely why we don't have multicrew SRV operations* - so some adjustments would have to be made to allow for this.

*In a keeping-it-consistent sense anyways.

I'm all for improvements to Multi-Crew, and by all means, fix what ever bugs that can be fixed. But, I am hating the idea of incentives to use it. Fix it, make it more useful, but leave the advantages already included as they are. Artificially inducing players to use a feature is the pits.

I'm all for improvements to Multi-Crew, and by all means, fix what ever bugs that can be fixed. But, I am hating the idea of incentives to use it. Fix it, make it more useful, but leave the advantages already included as they are. Artificially inducing players to use a feature is the pits.
indeed..... that magic pip you get just for someone going AFK in a seat in your ship reeks of utter desperation to get people to use a feature imo.

Sometimes tough love is the best kind of love.

shootdog.jpg

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Signing off,

CMDR Gavin786

Fully behind some of your ideas related to MC incentives and features. I suspect that enhancing the social aspects of Elite is going to be often a good investment of resources for FDEV.

Regarding bugs and MC in wings, I am afraid that the game has certain limitations both technically and in terms of network capacity though, which is probably the source of some of the key bugs in this department, so unless something dramatic changes in the game fundamental architecture I would not expect significant changes there.

Last edited:
indeed..... that magic pip you get just for someone going AFK in a seat in your ship reeks of utter desperation to get people to use a feature imo.

I think I've figured it out. They didn't cancel the engineer MC role, they merged it with the gunner. That PIP is what the engineer would have done. :D

I agree with Frontier's decision that that alone would have been too boring.

Top Bottom