Inhabited Generation Ship (The Golconda)

I am still trying to work out how such a large ship that travels so slow (compared to current ships) has managed to stay undetected in a highly populated systems for so long.

```
I remember reading that the minimal population size to ensure inbreeding doesn't exist is quite low, I think under 100

That's a solid 'nope'. For longer-term survival a population under 100 is fine for certain species, for humans it is 4000-5000 people estimated.

I am still trying to work out how such a large ship that travels so slow (compared to current ships) has managed to stay undetected in a highly populated systems for so long.
In thirteen hundred years bureaucrats have evolved to be even more incompetent.

Edit: there were in fact constant sightings but they were entered into Upaniklis Vision Incorporated's Issue Tracker and that was the last anyone heard of them.

Last edited:
That's a solid 'nope'. For longer-term survival a population under 100 is fine for certain species, for humans it is 4000-5000 people estimated.
I will admit I didn't do due diligence with my figures, hey I am old and forgetful :D

But a quick peek at Elite Dangerous Wiki states that the generation ships could "support hundreds or thousands of people for centuries. Successive generations of colonists would be born and raised in the confines of a Generation Ship until it finally arrived at its destination world, which the latest generation would then colonise." This would suggest that the impact of inbreeding was probably considered and a mitigation procedure put in place otherwise the entire concept of generation ships would have been a ticking timebomb.

I will admit I didn't do due diligence with my figures, hey I am old and forgetful :D

But a quick peek at Elite Dangerous Wiki states that the generation ships could "support hundreds or thousands of people for centuries. Successive generations of colonists would be born and raised in the confines of a Generation Ship until it finally arrived at its destination world, which the latest generation would then colonise." This would suggest that the impact of inbreeding was probably considered and a mitigation procedure put in place otherwise the entire concept of generation ships would have been a ticking timebomb.
You do realise that our presence on planet earth is the result of a generation ship? And yes, it's a ticking timebomb.

This would suggest that the impact of inbreeding was probably considered and a mitigation procedure put in place otherwise the entire concept of generation ships would have been a ticking timebomb.
I believe that in Iceland thirteen hundred years ago there was an app that people used to check if the person they were about to date was in fact a dangerously close relative

Without trying to be sacastic, I'd prefer a CG (or II) based around the somewhat lame story of a rampant disease on The Golconda to another run-of-the-mill pulp fiction CG about a nefarious militaristic splinter group spreading evil fertilizers with bad intent.
That story was so cliché, I almost vomited.

LA LA LA LA NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS!!!!!

All I want to know is, is this Generation Ship related to recent GalNet news, as in, a certain system recently mentioned in GalNet?

Please quote this post when replying, because I'm ignoring most of this thread because I prefer to find and experience these things on my own.

LA LA LA LA NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS!!!!!

All I want to know is, is this Generation Ship related to recent GalNet news, as in, a certain system recently mentioned in GalNet?

Please quote this post when replying, because I'm ignoring most of this thread because I prefer to find and experience these things on my own.
yes

I was going to use two words: Production Schedule :D Somewhere in FD there is a lovely project management production timeline and if you have a look around the first week of November 2019 you will see the words "Invent some lame story and load up The Golconda"
:D
Sad story: in that production schedule the Golconda was the original name of the Fleet Carrier Class 😭

I believe that in Iceland thirteen hundred years ago there was an app that people used to check if the person they were about to date was in fact a dangerously close relative

Check the tiny atoll called Pingelap. It experienced a catastrophic accident centuries ago, and a few dozen people rebuild the population. Now 10% is actively colorblind and an additional 30% carries the gene. And I mean real full colorblind, not what we typical call colorblind in the west. In the US its 0.003%, for comparison.

Golconda Fort
The Golconda Fort used to have a vault where the famous Koh-i-Noor and Hope diamonds were once stored along with other diamonds...
...At that time, India had the only known diamond mines in the world. Golkonda was the market city of the diamond trade, and gems sold there came from a number of mines. The fortress-city within the walls was famous for diamond trade.

Now you know why they don't want to much "culutral interference" 🤫
That ship is full of diamonds! :ROFLMAO:
I'm the first one to unveil the mistery...Did I win a new paintjob or a Fleet Carrier?

Last edited:
Golconda Fort

Now you know why they don't want to much "culutral interference" 🤫
That ship is full of diamonds! :ROFLMAO:
I'm the first one to unveil the mistery...Did I win a new paintjob or a Fleet Carrier?
I propose a new CG where pirates attack the ship and if we can save the Golconda we will receive a new station where miners can sell Void Opals, Cold Diamonds and Painite always at the maximum income without having to look and navigate everytime to different starports... 😁

Last edited:
```

If you let people breed however and whenever they want to, which generally isn't advised when you're in a fixed size vessel. With a proper breeding program where you restrict the number of generations and plan who people have children with, you can have way less than 4-5k.

Nitpick: traveling at 0.5c, to them it would not be a thousand-year old ship but an 865-year old ship :)
They only made it 170 LY from Sol in 1000 years, so more like 15% of c. That results in about a 1% time dilation factor, so their clocks are only about 10 years behind.

Also, they wouldn't have accents because of their coexistance naturally on the ship...

I wonder how language changes in a completely, "sterile," environment over long periods of time. Without new external things would it change that much?
In isolation, yes, it would change quite a bit. But if each generation of kids is being taught from the same language materials they started out with, then I'd expect it to be pretty static.

If you let people breed however and whenever they want to, which generally isn't advised when you're in a fixed size vessel. With a proper breeding program where you restrict the number of generations and plan who people have children with, you can have way less than 4-5k.
The captain says in his log that there's in excess of 10,000 people on board. They should be fine.

Last edited:

Remind me not to get on a generation ship where you are the captain. :p

Top Bottom