Refunds

So after closing/re-opening the zoo and instantly starting to get refunds I sat at the gate watching the guests.

I think these type of guests are the problem/bug. I don't know why they're unhappy and rage-leaving when all their bars are in the green.
I seem to have multiple guests with their happiness in the red when their food/drink/rest/toilet bars are in the green. I'm not sure what is tanking their happiness so fast.

This groups been in the zoo for 53 seconds, and not seen any exhibits apparently. Not entirely sure what the issue is.

QACNiFG.png

And another who has only been in the zoo 25 seconds!
37gBh3E.png

Last edited:
If you have this issue, please log it via the Issue Tracker or send a save file to community@frontier.co.uk - that's the quickest way for us to be able to investigate :) Thanks for the help as we look into this!

I assume the second is an email? I have sent over details of the bug and the most recent save file I think. if you could get any information on this mechanic i think many of us would appreciate it in general beyond the possible bug. Cheers

So after closing the zoo and instantly starting to get refunds I sat at the gate watching the guests.

I think these type of guests are the problem/bug. I don't know why they're unhappy and rage-leaving when all their bars are in the green.

They've been in the zoo for 53 seconds, and not seen any exhibits apparently. Not entirely sure what the issue is.

QACNiFG.png
ahh yes, the typical "I had such a lovely time here but I really want a refund cause I can't stand this place" ungrateful guest ;). If you check their individual Finance tab, can you actually see that they got a refund?

ahh yes, the typical "I had such a lovely time here but I really want a refund cause I can't stand this place" ungrateful guest ;). If you check their individual Finance tab, can you actually see that they got a refund?
I Guess so. Seems the issue isn't so much the refund mechanic, it's why some of the guests are getting unhappy enough to refund before they even reach an exhibit!

DJoXcCQ.png

true, but I was just curious if you could actually see the guests getting money from you, and in your screenshot you can't - well not directly. But normally there would be a price in the tickets icon box; the entrance fee, and that says $0.00 - so I guess they DID get their entrance fee back (and possibly anything else they spent on drinks/food/souvenirs/donations...). So that confirms this really is the cash draining from the zoo. Now it indeed comes down to why these guests have split personalities...

Last edited:
Think I'll put up a disclaimer near the entrance: "Ticket prices and any purchases will only be refunded if a dangerous animal escapes and causes any physical harm. This Zoo is not responsible for any accidents or guests' mental issues or irrational mood swings. Thank you and enjoy your visit." ;)

true, but I was just curious if you could actually see the guests getting money from you, and in your screenshot you can't - well not directly. But normally there would be a price in the tickets icon box; the entrance fee, and that says $0.00 - so I guess they DID get their entrance fee back (and possibly anything else they spent on drinks/food/souvenirs/donations...). So that confirms this really is the cash draining from the zoo. Now it indeed comes down to why these guests have split personalities...
Definitely some shenanigans going on:

They get angry & decide to leave
They get near the ticket gate/main entrance & moan about a refund
If you reselect them (other side of the ticket gates just before they leave) their cash spent on tickets goes to 0
Not sure if food/drink/shopping also gets refunded as most of them are too angry, too fast to buy anything
The 60$ was 6x10$ adoptions which still seem to be in place

7Qnlt23.png

Last edited:

If you reselect them their cash spent on tickets goes to 0
Not sure if food/drink/shopping also gets refunded as they're too angry, too fast to buy anything

LOL "If you're in a bad mood, don't bother getting into the Zoo please" ;)

Wait, does that mean that people not only get refunded the ticket, but absolutely anything that they have bought or used in the zoo? That’s ridiculous!

Imagine someone in real life like this. “I had a bad time, I want a refund of my ticket. Also I spent like 5.00$ on some milkshakes back there, they were fine but still want a refund. And also I paid 0.50 to use the bathroom, add it to the refund. And I bought this zebra plushie on the store, I’ll keep it bu refund me it too. Oh! Don’t forget I donate 10$ to the giant pandas, well I’m not happy now so screw the pandas! Give me my money back!”.

If you reselect them (other side of the ticket gates just before they leave) their cash spent on tickets goes to 0
Not sure if food/drink/shopping also gets refunded as most of them are too angry, too fast to buy anything
The 60$ was 6x10$ adoptions which still seem to be in place

What about the second tab with more guest thoughts - anything there that makes sense?

What about the second tab with more guest thoughts - anything there that makes sense?
Nothing else in there but what you're seeing.

Takes the guests ~10 seconds to enter the zoo through the gates, by 25-30 seconds they're at zero happiness (before they even reach an exhibit).
EDIT: I take it back, nothing I do seems to fix the happiness bleed. I stuck scenery, an exhibit & education boards right in front of the entrance to no avail.

MmkPGkM.png

Last edited:

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hiya,

So it seems like for most of the save files we were sent, there are overlapping educational speakers; this means that guests who walk into this overlapped area have a rapid drop in happiness - causing them to leave and want their money back.
Please check the Education heatmap, and if there's anything red in there: fix it!

Also, if you're running a bad zoo in general, that could cause a lot of unhappy guests too: not enough shops, too much litter, and expensive tickets; also, not having enough shops or having them all in one area only, and staff facilities being far away. Be sure to optimise your zoos in terms of placement: it's important!

We'll continue to look into other possibilities in the meantime :)
Cheers!

Thank you for the feedback and information. Could we request something added to the help guide that would explain what each of the financial items mean and how to potentially fix them in the future? Since this request isn't a "bug", is there a proper location to list "suggestions" without you having to scroll through the every growing list of discussion board forum threads? Again, thank you for your assistance in explaining this.

Hiya,

So it seems like for most of the save files we were sent, there are overlapping educational speakers; this means that guests who walk into this overlapped area have a rapid drop in happiness - causing them to leave and want their money back.
Please check the Education heatmap, and if there's anything red in there: fix it!

Also, if you're running a bad zoo in general, that could cause a lot of unhappy guests too: not enough shops, too much litter, and expensive tickets; also, not having enough shops or having them all in one area only, and staff facilities being far away. Be sure to optimise your zoos in terms of placement: it's important!

Cheers!

Thanks for this! I can confirm that for me, the issue was resolved very quickly by deleting 4 or 5 educational speakers that were overlapping close to the entrance where A LOT of people passed through (didn't have any other guest happiness issues). I let the game run for a bit to finish the next year and as you can see in the screen shot (when comparing the last 2-3 full years), the result is quite dramatic.... think my zoo was saved just in time. Thanks again!!View attachment 150128

And now that my zoo is thriving again, luck is on my side as my first albino ring tailed Lemur was just born :)
View attachment 150128
albino.jpg
zoo3.jpg
zoo3.jpg
zoo3.jpg

Last edited:
Hiya,

Cheers!

Thanks for looking into it. Can you clarify why having shops in one place is bad? i assume it was my zoo I was experimenting with a plaza but it gets very little foot traffic.

Also related to that but i can move the construction with no money but shops say insufficient funds when I try to relocate them. I am not aware or have not noticed a charge to relocate say a hotdog shop so I am not sure if this is intended but makes it impossible for me to modify my layout once i go into negative cash.

Thanks for looking into it. Can you clarify why having shops in one place is bad? i assume it was my zoo I was experimenting with a plaza but it gets very little foot traffic.

Also related to that but i can move the construction with no money but shops say insufficient funds when I try to relocate them. I am not aware or have not noticed a charge to relocate say a hotdog shop so I am not sure if this is intended but makes it impossible for me to modify my layout once i go into negative cash.
On the moving shops issue - it may just be the cost of the ground being slightly changed underneath or paths being connected. Don't know for sure, just a guess!

Top Bottom