The Reverand's Daily RANT

I recall, long ago (before the age of mobile phones), driving a company pick-up truck that'd just been fitted with a newfangled immobiliser.
It just died completely on a country lane, where I coasted to a halt and used the last of my momentum to park it on a grass verge.
I then spent about 90 minutes walking back along the dark, rainy, country lane to the main road where, luckily, I was spotted by a colleague who picked me up.
My colleague, wanting to rub salt in the wound, decided it'd be funny to drive me back to the disabled pick-up truck, just to see where it was.

It took us about 5 minutes to drive the distance it'd taken me 90 minutes to walk.
Oh how I laughed. 🤨

That's kind of the big problem with Generation Ships, though.
They are still "in the parking lot" so finding them should never really be a big deal.
The stuff about them succumbng to various historic problems is kind of interesting in a pathetic sort of way - thousands of people dying alone out in deep space while modern ships have developed the ability to blink past them in a matter of seconds - but the idea of finding an operational Generation Ship in an inhabited system and neither the Gen' Ship or the system's inhabitants noticed each other for, presumably, hundreds of years seems a bit bizarre.

For me, the interest in Gen' Ships should come from the separate, parallel, evolution that's taken place aboard them.
Every time we find a Gen' Ship there should be something new and interesting that we discover from them.

it's no more annoying than discovering that there was a generation ship in Carrack Drift all this time even though I'd been through that system multiple times. It's almost like it's a game of some sort.

I think they have been binging on box sets.

Either that or the key to the comms room got lost shortly after leaving earth and was only recently rediscovered in the back pocket of the mummified remains of comms officer who mysteriously vanished a 1000 years ago. (In reality was drunk, went into an airlock to sleep it off but forgot to turn atmosphere on).

We complain that no content is added, we complain when they add some sort of content. As a community we need to look at ourselves and think about how we come across sometimes. I guess this is a reflection of a mature community that has enjoyed the content of the game and probably many need to move on and play something else. I personally am deeply disappointed at the majority of the content that has been added since planet landings were a thing. However I can and still do enjoy the core experience. At some point FD are going to decide the negativity being exhibited is such that its best that development should cease. This would be a shame if it happened before space legs, atmospheric landings were a thing. I understand that criticism is inevitable, but I think we are reaching a point where all we are doing as a community is displaying constant negativity. FD added something here, they tried to give us some new content and I think a little bit of positivity might not go amiss, instead of picking holes.

We complain that no content is added, we complain when they add some sort of content. As a community we need to look at ourselves and think about how we come across sometimes. I guess this is a reflection of a mature community that has enjoyed the content of the game and probably many need to move on and play something else. I personally am deeply disappointed at the majority of the content that has been added since planet landings were a thing. However I can and still do enjoy the core experience. At some point FD are going to decide the negativity being exhibited is such that its best that development should cease. This would be a shame if it happened before space legs, atmospheric landings were a thing. I understand that criticism is inevitable, but I think we are reaching a point where all we are doing as a community is displaying constant negativity. FD added something here, they tried to give us some new content and I think a little bit of positivity might not go amiss, instead of picking holes.

Its not a matter of complaining about content, its that the content added is not coherent or pushing any boundaries. We currently have no lore, IIs seem random stories, Thargoids have vanished despite a new type above Palin...it goes on and on. If anything FD need to sit down with some paper and actually design the direction of the games lore and make sure IIs actually illustrate lore that they took away.

Imho, yes it's a bit strange no one ever saw this Gen. Ship before, on the other hand I found it rather fascinating that there were stil people alive on that thing.
This is the first Interstellar Initiative I signed up for even though it's just a CG in a different wrapper.
It's been a while I took on a bounty hunting CG and with a bit of creative thinking I have to admit I rather like it.

I'm not expecting any dramatic content to be added untill at least by the end of 2020 so when Fdev does come up with some breadcrumbs, even though it needs some creative imagination, then I'll take it.

This one is just a couple of CG's that I can see. It doesn't deserve to be called an Interstellar Initiative.

II's need to have custom scenarios and interesting outcomes.

This is a couple of trade CG's with a station being built. It's been done a bunch of times.

@Kenneth Mcgrew

And then, suddenly, you get 23 messages stating why the beluga is the ship they should replace the gen ship with
That was until they heard about Elephant Butt Leather, and that's when they decided to stay on their generation ship.
Just wait they learn that we need dozens of computers to control the limpets. They will be horrified that we still don't have the technology to control all of them with a single universal controller!

I think u r a sham... they added something? CGs have been around forever... they need to INVEST IN LORE, and think about their BACK STORIES... really

They are still "in the parking lot" so finding them should never really be a big deal.
The stuff about them succumbng to various historic problems is kind of interesting in a pathetic sort of way - thousands of people dying alone out in deep space while modern ships have developed the ability to blink past them in a matter of seconds - but the idea of finding an operational Generation Ship in an inhabited system and neither the Gen' Ship or the system's inhabitants noticed each other for, presumably, hundreds of years seems a bit bizarre.

It's fairly far from the parent star, around a planet with no stations/bases and most likely hasn't been there overly long.

Finding something, even the size of a generation ship, that isn't transmitting, would not be easy. The ship was never in SC and until it started it's distress call, was actively trying to avoid detection.

Top Bottom