Not so spectacular, but interesting finds. :)

Out in the Norma Expanse, parked for a while on this moon which was covered in gray fog from the carbon dioxide vents. It was really eerie, but beautiful.
1DAMY1m.jpg

You can call this one "A Hot Mess". A pair of closely orbiting bodies, very close in to their Class-M primary. I'm eclipsed at the moment, but still enshrouded in hot gasses.
H9YnnxA.jpg

I'm on my way back towards the bubble, and I ran across this; A class 3 GG orbiting a Class-G star, looking very dirty.
cAzH9qq.jpg

On the way back in, so far, I've come across an ELW, 3 WWs, and an assortment of GGs with water-based life, and ammonia GG with life. I'm parked for the night. Tomorrow's another day.

Hello!

I'm uncertain this one qualifies, but it is certainly very interesting to me - I've found my first life!
This happened just a few minutes ago - in fact it's happening right at this moment!

I nearly leaped out of my seat when I saw "Biological Site" in my FSS! I took it slow though; studiously mapping every planet and moon until I came to this one; the last world (minus one) in the system to map.
It's a large system of 41 bodies and probing has taken hours. But when the hard work's done it's time for fun! So down I go...
D5FAECF9A4579966CBA83CC01A29921C91344CA6

(parent planet (Class1 GG) dim in the background.)

Pre-landing orbit to check the terrain:
A2DBC7FAC722FE53E12A7EA4229F75E38455AF67

And there we go! Not the tentacular, green psionic aliens with a hundred eyes I'd have loved to find*, but still REALLY cool!
*Which happen to be good guys...
D91520E675C8E476016A494ACBDE816803AF7390
Crystalline Shards - I'd have loved to have found Benevolent Space Angels rather than another #$%&#!! mining opportunity, but I'll take it! LOL
I know this is old news to everyone else here, but this is SO COOL!
Cheers!
Edit: Holy snakes; you gotta be kiddin' me! Crystalline Shards by the dozens and every single one delivers yttrium! I've been looking for this stuff!

Last edited:
probing has taken hours
Don't know if you use it, but utilize the 'orrery' view in the system map. It's very handy, especially when going though a system and surface mapping (DSS) bodies of interest. It can help you from doing a lot of back and forth around the system, which saves time.

Congratz on your first find... it's a good one! :cool:

Don't know if you use it, but utilize the 'orrery' view in the system map. It's very handy, especially when going though a system and surface mapping (DSS) bodies of interest. It can help you from doing a lot of back and forth around the system, which saves time.

Congratz on your first find... it's a good one! :cool:
I definitely do; just not all the time lol. Pretty much every system I've been in, odd-number planets are on one side; evens on the other hehe. I wind up zig-zagging all over the system. If I don't mind - which is frequent - I'll sit back with a cuppa, set the throttle to 75% and scan a planet's moons sequentially; several minutes of relaxed flying followed by a few seconds of hasty popping between each. Others I'll stop, take pics, make a sandwich etc. Then the next system I'll use the orrery and work my way systematically. :)
Thanks!

I ran into a similar situation a while back, huge rings that is, not that I was stuck. The inner A ring I was able to DSS; the outer B ring however was so far from the body that probes wouldn't reach, not even sitting at the limit of DSS range. And I agree, it would be nice if one could fly closer and DSS such far flung rings... so huge, the mining resource potentials they could hold.
28YreFH.png
Yeah; I ran into one of these on my last trip out - the outer ring had the same orbital diameter as Venus!
Pretty incredible :)

This Tauri star looks more like a "A" than a "T". I wonder if FD uses the wrong color tile on this one.

2HKeMIe.png
T-Tauris are very young stars ranging from spectral type M to F.
Not to be confused with class T brown dwarf. ;)
Spectral class A and B youngsters are Herbig Ae/Be stars.

Top Bottom