FD's lack of faith in developing VR for new headsets is disturbing.

I am referencing this issue in the issue tracker.

It states:
STATUS INVALID
At the current time, there are no plans to provide support for new HMDs outside the officially supported systems and platforms. The officially supported platforms are Valve Index, HTC Vive and Oculus. QA-Jack

PiMax is a vanguard headset and when used with Elite: Dangerous provides the best VR experience in the market. But FD refuses to even look into supporting it. The least they can do is contact PiMax and see if they can fix this issue.

Some have suggested that the problem is caused by an incorrect transform for non-parallel lens. This makes sense. And the fix would be to apply the appropriate transform matrix. Why would this be so hard for FD to implement?

I don't think there is. I think frontier doesn't know about non parallel lenses.

If you look at all of HMD out there ED really only supports Oculus. The Vive always had scale issues which could have been fixed by frontier if they cared to truly support it.

whether pimax or index, imo the stronger message here is how they limit support strictly to rift and vive, i.e. the what it was at launch, meaning no interest in keeping up with the tech. that, however, is understandable, the market is in a quite confusing state now and frontier has too much on their hands for experiments. i can live with that just fine.

but there doesn't seem to be much interest in development of the basics either: rotating sprites, no virtual keyboard yet, astonishingly sloppy guard system in the fss (for a seated chase-the-ball game, really?). iirc at some point some features didn't even work in vr which suggests they forgot about vr altogether for those.

so no, i do not rule out that vr gets 'prioritized'. keep those pitchforks well greased everyone! 😅

But when we turn on PP mode at Pitool geometry is ok or I missed somethig ? I'm busy with other sims and sent my unit for RMA

Are there industry standards for VR headsets? This would make support more easy on a game company. If they need to develop code for every headset then the blame is on the headset maker. Not the game company.

Are there industry standards for VR headsets? This would make support more easy on a game company. If they need to develop code for every headset then the blame is on the headset maker. Not the game company.

The most relevant one is OpenVR, which was developed by Valve and is the basis of SteamVR. As you can see, OSVR and OpenXR exist but I don't know much about those. Someone who is more VR tech-savvy can explain better, but I understand that the problem with Elite is that it does not fully utilise all the information provided by OpenVR, otherwise this wouldn't be a problem - it discards it instead. This is why some VR apps have no issues with the wide FOV and Parallel Projections is not required. So no one is asking Fdev to undertake major development, but simply to fully utilise the OpenVR capability that already exists, as other apps do. Unfortunately it seems they have extremely limited dev resource for Elite beyond the bug fixes that they have confirmed, and whatever is being cooked up for 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVR

I think OpenVR is going to be rolled into a part of OpenXR but when we actually see any benefits of that is questionable, standards move pretty slow sometimes, especially when it comes to quite niche tech with many large participants.

I was going to post a thread but I think I have the answer here...

What is currently the best resolution VR headset I can use with ED? Probably the Rift I already have then -_-

I think the most readily available highest resolution HMD would likely be one of the OLED pimax offerings but i would honestly not buy one until they have their issues sorted, ive got a pimax 5k+ from being a kickstarter backer and while its been really good for me but a lot of other people have issues with it not fitting their face without extra foam or modifying the headstrap, others with the optics and internal panels being misaligned.

I havnt played Elite for the last half year or so but i wouldnt want to go back to lower FOV headset and couldnt go back to lower resolution one, the only non great things with my pimax 5k+ and elite is the LCD panels which give a bit a grey tinge to space and the lack of support for canted panels which means the workaround eats a bit for performance ingame, still runs alright but could always be better. im on an i5@4.5ghz, 16gb ram, gtx 1080 and ssd for sys and game install so my hardware is still OK but going on old.

I'm glad I bought an index now rather than a pimax. I was tempted to get pimax, the reason I didnt was down to lack of help from sales teams.
Shame I imagine the 8k-x with native 4k to be special

Utilising OXR would address this issue. Basically put, it is a [proposed and under development] VR standard that allows developers to implement VR into their game's/application's without having to code for every type/make of HMD. The following explain it better than I can:

Source: https://youtu.be/cnNvR-Tp5xg

Source: https://youtu.be/ITl-hAw3HY8

Source: https://youtu.be/MVUP6_ysEM0

Source: https://youtu.be/9TqCEPQL5AQ

https://www.khronos.org/openxr/

I've no idea if Frontier are aware of this, but it seems that all the big players, as far as HMD companies are concerned, are welcome to adopting this move.

Yeah, I've been growing increasingly uneasy about this (since they dropped prominent mention of VR from the website etc). If they ever ditch VR I'm out. :confused: I really hope that Half Life Alyx gives the medium the kick up the **** that it needs.
I'm looking at a Rift S for Black Friday, but I'm a bit wary that Frontier will end support for VR about the time I invest in it. On the other hand, if New Era is now delayed to 2021, I suppose I'll be able to get a few months enjoyment out of the game before then.

I'm looking at a Rift S for Black Friday, but I'm a bit wary that Frontier will end support for VR about the time I invest in it. On the other hand, if New Era is now delayed to 2021, I suppose I'll be able to get a few months enjoyment out of the game before then.
I guess you know about Oculus Link for the Quest? (Connects the Quest to PC)

Top Bottom