Planet Zoo Winter Update???

If the game is going to follow a similar path as Planet Coaster, then It would be great to see update before the holidays, that feature animals that are known to live around the polar circles. Only to keeping up the hype until the next decade (especially due the lack of Tundra species which Planet Zoo already has). So here is my choice of possible animals who "might" appear in a potential Winter Update 2019. Starting along alphabetically;

2018._Loro_parque._Tenerife-25.jpg

Emperor Penguin
(Aptenodytes forsteri)
Continents: Antarctica
Countries: No countries outside of the South Pole
Biome: Aquatic, Tundra
Group Size: 4–220
Diet: Fish, Crustaceans and Mollusks
Compatible Animals: Dosen't benefit from sharing space with other species
Ovibos_moschatus_qtl3.jpg

Muskox
(Ovibos moschatus)
Continents: Asia, Europe, North America
Countries: Canada, Danmark (Greenland), Norway, Russia, Sweden, USA
Biome: Tundra
Group Size: 5–25
Diet: Leaves, Hay, Herbivore Pellets, Lichens and Mosses
Compatible Animals: Reindeer
Rangifer_tarandus_fennicus_%28juvenile_and_two_adults%29.jpg

Reindeer
(Rangifer tarandus)
Countries: Canada, Danmark (Greenland) Finland, Mongolia, Norway, Russia, Sweden, UK, Northern USA (mostly Alaska)
Biome: Taiga, Tundra
Group Size: 5–50
Diet: Leaves, Hay, Herbivore Pellets, Lichens and Salt Licks
Compatible Animals: Muskox
Polar_Bear_-_Lincoln_Park_Zoo_-_Chicago_Illinois.jpg

& Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus)
Countries: Canada, Danmark (Greenland), Norway (Svalbard), Russia, Northern USA (Alaska)
Biome: Aquatic, Tundra
Group Size: 1–3
Diet: Meat, Fish, Crustaceans, Mollusks, Fruit and Vegetables
Compatible Animals: Dosen't benefit from sharing space with other species

Note that I skipped some species from Snowy Owl to Seals. Mainly because they would fit better for Aerial or Aquatic DLCs later on. While animals like the Arctic Fox, aren't as common in captivity compared to the other Foxes. As well with the King Penguin being not as threatened like its larger relative.

But what do YOU guys think about this idea? Just comment down below and let me know.

Last edited:
I like your reasonable list of interesting animals! :)

Innitially, I wanted to object the timing (one month after release seemed too fast), but a quick research convinced me, that PC's "winter update" came just one month after the main game's release as well.

Will the reindeers feature a red nose, though?

Last edited:
I would rather the king penguin than the emperor. It's just a more common sight in zoos than the emperor, often mixed with gentoo penguins and/or rockhoppers (Edinburgh Zoo comes to mind, but also Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium here in New Zealand).

I would rather the king penguin than the emperor. It's just a more common sight in zoos than the emperor, often mixed with gentoo penguins and/or rockhoppers (Edinburgh Zoo comes to mind, but also Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium here in New Zealand).
Indeed. Even though the same thing can be said about the Chinese Pangolin (and the Springbok for that matter). I'm just saying the Animal Welfare Froniter is trying to aim, still would make a difference in a grand scheme of things.

I remember some time ago someone said their favourite animal was a fox (I can’t remember the exact context) and a community manager responded saying “you won’t be disappointed” or something similar.
I believe that was for the red panda. Or maybe the dev implied the fox topiary would please them.

I remember some time ago someone said their favourite animal was a fox (I can’t remember the exact context) and a community manager responded saying “you won’t be disappointed” or something similar.
Sounds interesting. I hope this means that there will be a Fox or at least a similar Animal in the Future

Also this may have nothing to do with animals (like the section for Wishlists are layed out), but icebergs could be another nice addition to the update.
As a form of toy enrichment that appears in various shapes:
Types_of_Icebergs.svg

1. Tabular
  2. Wedge
  3. Dome
  4. Drydock
  5. Pinnacled
  6. Blocky

Perhaps even a theme with snow and ice structures should be wonderful to. Although that idea I can agree sound a little bit to rushed...

I don't know if icebergs would work, given that temperature plays a significant role in gameplay (I mean, we have the super-unrealistic chillers to keep snow frozen, but that's dumb as it is).

I guess some zoos use fake icebergs, though.

i thought we're talking about fake icebergs from the start. Real icebergs are nearly impossible to keep in habitats.

Nah it's was talking about artificial icebergs. NOT actual cut off glaciers from the wild!
1101_StewartIceberg1-1000x667.jpg

Just something that penguins that Polar Bears can rest on while there are far from land. You know, how it where in Zoo Tycoon 2.

Nah it's was talking about artificial icebergs. NOT actual cut off glaciers from the wild!

Just something that penguins that Polar Bears can rest on while there are far from land. You know, how it where in Zoo Tycoon 2.

I always figured the icebergs in Zoo Tycoon were implied to be real. In the same way that we were able to add snow to a habitat in a desert climate. Zoo Tycoon was never about realism, as such, though.

I'm on board for artificial icebergs. I do like floating enrichment, like bouyancy kegs for bears, and some fake icebergs would look pretty cool.

No animals mentioned so far, but it appears your wish is granted with regards to ice and snow objects!

Maybe we get penguins and polar bears? I hope so.

So I'm assuming you all saw the news about the Arctic DLC. Scandinavian theme scenery items and construction objects and four new Arctic animals. As predicted, the Polar Bear and Reindeer, but also the Dall's Sheep, and the Arctic Wolf.

Not to sound ungrateful (I did also mention this in the thread in question), but the wolf is a major disappointment. The timber wolf already covers the Arctic wolf, since the timber wolf is just a generic grey wolf (of which the Arctic wolf is a subspecies). It's a little irksome considering we could have had the wolverine, as an example, or the Arctic fox (since people have been asking for some kind of fox all over the forum), or the Pallas cat, or something else more unique and fulfilling than a copy-paste wolf.

The sheep is also a strange choice but at least it's new, so I'm not going to turn my nose up at that.

the wolf is a major disappointment. The timber wolf already covers the Arctic wolf, since the timber wolf is just a generic grey wolf (of which the Arctic wolf is a subspecies). It's a little irksome considering we could have had the wolverine, as an example, or the Arctic fox (since people have been asking for some kind of fox all over the forum), or the Pallas cat, or something else more unique and fulfilling than a copy-paste wolf.
Really? Wolf? Since morning there were leaks that we're gonna get arctic fox,and now i even mistook the wolf you said about,and though we're really gonna get arctic fox..
Life is so damn perverse,as i can see...

Top Bottom