Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

i‘m new here, but i like to add something to the topic here. I was an evocati of the first wave and backed the game in 2012. After my small claims in the UK was a failure (because of the many Shell Companys and the change of the Company names most of the Companys had no business with me (lol) ) i ended up selling my account. So CIg is a realy customer friendly Company.

But i think the reason why People still giving money to CIg is that the have so much invested and they are scared that the Demo will never see the light of the day that they are „forced„ to spend and to spend and so on.

I think this Video is a real good one and explains my thoughts a bit better.

Overall, I haven't found many longer term backers who spent anything at all during the expo judging by commentary on Spectrum's #concierge chat and elsewhere. Noted 1 or 2 new guys in game who purchased a Cutlass or something in the lower end but nothing like I'd expect after an expo.

There are of course the usual Org whaley bois who added a Kraken or 2 or popped an Idris or Polaris here and there, but so far, they've been very quiet.
Ship sales are their main source of revenue,as soon as people stop buying ships they run out of money.
That’s why CIG are prepared to outright lie about incoming content. And the backers have a propensity gloss over any worrying details about the game to new players.

But after watching the obviously rushed out the door and selotaped on demo footage with a fairly unskilled pilot hammering through it in 3rd person view, I was severely disappointed with what was shown.

There were two things that were interesting from Citcon.

Their planetary tech V4 and how they talked about the requirement for their tools in order to build multiple star systems in a reasonable speed.

And how the economy situation would function with a cause and effect mechanic. The latter is interesting because it can be used for multiple things.

Sure, the jump point was nice but we have been waiting for that for some time and we still do not have any clear information to how they really function.

.... And the backers have a propensity gloss over any worrying details about the game to new players.

Not all of us by any means. There are more cynical and realistic backers than Kool-Aid drinkers as a rule...and we do make an attempt to warn new backers as to what exactly they might be getting into should they chose to commit.

The information isn't hard to find with a minimum of searching as you're aware...we just try to make sure if they do decide to commit or spend, they do a bit of research first....what they do after that is entirely their choice.

Last edited:
So i did my usual test of the newer patch (3.7.2 in that case), went on to fly around a bit and get some impressions.
  • the old bugs are still there, all of them (i wont enumerate them again..)
  • while getting to my ship at Levski, they despawned it right at the moment i entered in the cockpit. That caused my character to spin endlessly and the authorities to give me a fine an a criminal status due to that game bug. Had to log out and respawn... infuriating
  • ship bed logout still doesnt work at all, but at least now they let you know with a red message upon login. Yay, more waiting for trains... joy...
  • saw a few other players running around the ArcCorp airport (i guess it's free fly week). Erratic movements, warping all around, glitches.. they were teleporting back and forth.. etc. Netcode is a complete mess. Dont even think about trying to shoot someone, their position is a relativistic quantum state at best...
  • my Retaliator has now a "VTOL mode" (they added a key for that, with a placeholder name..) where the side engine pods rotate to a vertical position. Seems to have zero effect otherwise. Needs to be set for landing / take off though (for retracting / extending gear), so keep that in mind if you have similar ships (rotating side pods, like on the Cutlass for example). The default key is J.
  • after a while it became impossible to use the navigation map, clicking on destinations made them disappear entirely without setting a course. So in addition to the horrible UI it's buggered even more than ever. That's really the most broken and infuriating part as navigating around is kinda the core of the game.
  • in space lighting is now a lot harsher, and actually looks more realistic (more like actual pictures of space we have), with very dark shadows and very bright lit surfaces. This looks really nice. Cockpit reflections are maybe a tad overdone but look also really good.
  • pirate ship IA is still totally braindead.
  • i actually overheated one of my thrusters while fooling around a planet, leading to it producing an horrible continuous noise. How did i achieve this, no idea, and no amount of stopping the ship, restarting it etc. fixed the noise. No repair was possible... leading to the next
  • repair pads are still out of order. Incomplete or totally absent repairs, no refuelling... clicking on things doesnt produce any result (again, that expletive holo UI, whoever designed that needs to die the same terrible death as people who invented the CD blisters)
  • Lagrange point rest stops look impressive from the outside, good scale, walking on the pad looks real good. Would be nice to have more to visit in these as they are huge, instead we have the equivalent of a mini shopping mall in there... Probably again the limitations of CryEngine maps.

So again, their art department have produced excellent work. The rest of CiG, not so much...

(edit) oh yeah and there was that guy spamming the chat with his "THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVAR ! I AM TELLING EVERYONE" etc. which as a bit annoying, i suppose these arent just camping on Reddit then.

Aye to your edit...there's a few of them about since freefly started (thankfully ended now, Olisar was like the battle of Leyte Gulf during it)...no idea if they're Kool-Aid drinkers trying to excite the newbies or newbies trying to excite the Kool-Aid drinkers.

As for the bugs...I seriously haven't had any of those particular ones although I'm constantly reading about folks suffering them in the game chat. Very strange indeed.

I've mentioned before that my favourite take from Citcon was the Tony Zurovec panel where he went into some detail about the dynamic economy system he'd been working on.

Last edited:
while getting to my ship at Levski, they despawned it right at the moment i entered in the cockpit. That caused my character to spin endlessly and the authorities to give me a fine an a criminal status due to that game bug. Had to log out and respawn... infuriating

You are doing god’s work!

(Although next time please film this ;))

What I would argue though is that the decision to change course/scope mid development and advance the "planetary tech" has probably either seriously delayed (and risked) the development of the rest of basic, core gameplay features, loops, professions etc, all to just be able to say to games like Elite or NMS at the time "me too". Or it has been rushed forward as a diversion stop gap because of the lack of competence or technical difficulties to develop the former.

I think it is the opposite.
When they discovered they can't do a full MMO with thousands of players, NPC that behave like humankind and deep careers mechanics, They decided to throw some smoke and mirrors diverting the focus on somthing else, the same tecnique that they are using even now.

Hi there,

i‘m new here, but i like to add something to the topic here. I was an evocati of the first wave and backed the game in 2012. After my small claims in the UK was a failure (because of the many Shell Companys and the change of the Company names most of the Companys had no business with me (lol) ) i ended up selling my account. So CIg is a realy customer friendly Company.

But i think the reason why People still giving money to CIg is that the have so much invested and they are scared that the Demo will never see the light of the day that they are „forced„ to spend and to spend and so on.

I think this Video is a real good one and explains my thoughts a bit better.

Interesting take...I refunded in 2017 with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I was a concierge backer back then as I am now. I was also Evocati for a short time with my first account but I have no idea what you mean when you refer to being 'first wave'. First Wave is a PTU term normally used outside of Evocati...as I'm sure you know.

As for people feeling 'forced' to spend cash in order to keep the project going, that sunk cost fallacy may indeed be the case for some troubled and deluded folk...but it's not realistic to paint everyone who has backed Star Citizen to whatever level with that rather broad and misleading statement.

It's certainly untrue amongst the many people I've met actually playing the game...most are very aware of their limits, are of an age or maturity where impulse spending is rarely an issue and consequently spend no more than their finances will allow or common sense dictates. Whether Star Citizen fails or succeeds is rarely a reason I hear for someone buying a ship...mostly they buy it because A) they want it and B) they can afford to do so. Most are also aware that their costs might never be realised with an actual product to justify it.

I'd be the first agree that Star Citizen, or more correctly Ci¬G, preys on a certain compulsive or obsessive behaviour and in some cases, actively supports that behaviour. Where as I do read obsessive commentary from certain sources on a variety of outlets, I very rarely meet them in game, on Discord or via anything outside of the common medium for such spoutings like reddit or Spectrum.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
When they discovered they can't do a full MMO with thousands of players, NPC that behave like humankind and deep careers mechanics, They decided to throw some smoke and mirrors diverting the focus on somthing else, the same tecnique that they are using even now.
Yeah, that would be also indeed the other possibility I mention in my last sentence.

Is it? I'm not qualified in company evaluation, but if I remember correctly, Uber was showing net loss for several years in a row whe it was estimated to cost gazillions of buckzoids for IPO
Actually, none of their net losses were official or meaningful until their IPO earlier this year in 1Q. And yes, they've yet to fly north on a positive net income since their IPO. Uber's stock is sinking to the bottom of the Marianas Trench faster than a chicken with the Titantic tied to it's leg. Now why does this make me think this is how SC's stock would turn out if Chris was crazy enough to take CI public? :sneaky:

u1.PNG

Interesting take...I refunded in 2017 with absolutely no issues whatsoever (I was a concierge backer then as I am now). As for people feeling 'forced' to spend cash in order to keep the project going, that sunk cost fallacy may indeed be the case for some troubled and deluded folk...but it's not realistic to paint everyone who has backed Star Citizen to whatever level with that rather broad and misleading statement.

It's certainly untrue amongst the many people I've met actually playing the game...most are very aware of their limits, are of an age or maturity where impulse spending is no longer an issue and consequently spend no more than their finances will allow. Whether Star Citizen fails or succeeds is rarely a reason I hear for someone buying a ship...mostly they buy it because A) they want it and B) they can afford to do so. Most are also aware that their costs might never be realised with an actual product to justify it.

I'd be the first agree that Star Citizen, or more correctly Ci¬G, preys on a certain compulsive or obsessive behaviour and in some cases, actively supports that behaviour. Where as I do read obsessive commentary from those types on a variety of outlets, I very rarely meet them in game, on Discord or via anything outside of the common medium for such spoutings like reddit or Spectrum.

I got one of those Idris-P's this year. On store credit.
It was very tempting to just buy the warbond version to bypass the f5 wars.
Now I can spend $250 to arm the thing!
They know their audience well.

But you know what? I don't actually care.
CiG does things that make me angry from time to time, just like FDEV did.
But when everything comes together and works right, it's already a great experience.
Zo7

Interesting take...I refunded in 2017 with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I was a concierge backer back then as I am now. I was also Evocati for a short time with my first account but I have no idea what you mean when you refer to being 'first wave'. First Wave is a PTU term normally used outside of Evocati...as I'm sure you know.

First Wave evocati was foundet 2016 in April. I was Part of it. I don‘t say that every Sc Fan is forced to spend money. Some peeps love the demo they have got. I will not insult anyone wich likes Sc. I tryed to refund 2018. What i have experienced was a year of non commuication from the costumer support. So then the small claims and so on. What i only can say this company has so much red flags. I‘m glad i could sell my account with a Minus of 10-15€ in feb 19

I think CIG know it's possible to do (see Dual Universe), just not anytime soon (2yr+), so they're doing all they can to stall the backer base with feature creep, and constant ship sales to keep the funds coming in.

I got one of those Idris-P's this year. On store credit.

I did not even try.

I mean, i would have to melt everything i Have to get one and hope i would win an F5 war and then what? I would feel like a dog that finally managed to catch his first car. I mean, it's a 250+ meter behemoth and I would literally have nothing else to fly. Not to mention fuel costs, crew requirement and finally, not much to aim for after that.

EDIT: Not to mention i have no idea what to do with it.

I kept my little "a little bit of everything i want to fly with" fleet.

I did however spent 20 bucks on the Pisces upgrade, everything else was a credit shuffle.

But when everything comes together and works right, it's already a great experience.

Yup, it's a glacial pace so far but it's getting there and there HAS to be a truckload of new backers to explain the influx of cash at this point.

Last edited:
First Wave evocati was foundet 2016 in April. I was Part of it. I don‘t say that every Sc Fan is forced to spend money. Some peeps love the demo they have got. I will not insult anyone wich likes Sc. I tryed to refund 2018. What i have experienced was a year of non commuication from the costumer support. So then the small claims and so on. What i only can say this company has so much red flags. I‘m glad i could sell my account with a Minus of 10-15€ in feb 19
Aye, I got out just before they closed the door by altering their TOS to stop the exodus of those of us who had no other avenue to express our displeasure. Glad you got settled up in the end...many more were unlucky in the timing and Ci¬G closed the door on them.

Anyway, it mattered not in the end since I was daft enough to buy back in during the Expo last year...avoiding Evocati like a plague this time, it was an experience I didn't really enjoy first time around...too much like work and less like having fun :rolleyes:

CIG isn't mmo-ing because they don't know how to mmo with the existing codebase. Yet they've sold millions of dollars worth of ships that have no role outside an mmo. The crash, burn and lolz will come.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom