Every thing currently wrong with Community challenge

These are the few points I would like to mention that I realised are wrong with the community challenge. I also do most of these things so I am also at fault, but I think something could be done to bring some change.

1. Instead of people coming together people start to compete.
What I understand from the description of community challenge is that people coming together to do the right thing. Instead all of us are just trying to be at the top. It is better than before that now the tier system is 10%, 30% and 75%, but still, I don't know what but something needs to be improved.

2. Price goes so high that people cannot buy.
This time during Pandamonium I was lucky enough to get started early and bought a few pair or pandas before their prices went high. But by the time I thought of adding new pandas to increase the gene pool most of the pandas were of 10000 cc, and their stats were not even half decent of what I already had. I think many who even want to take part, cannot take part because of this and the community is the one to blame for not letting them.(Me too as some were still buying them at 10000 cc, I too made a lot of cc).

3.Inbreeding
Although I always try to avoid this, I am sometimes forced to do this as I cannot buy anymore animals either because their price is too high or I don't have any room left in storage.

4.Zoo going bankrupt
As everyone who has tried to breed more and more must have realised that guests do not donate for multiple habitat containing same species and thus it is hard to maintain the Zoo (although I was still making money by a secret technique :p), which is not in the spirit of a community challenge.

5. Not being able to enjoy other aspects of the game.
Out of 7 days of the week about 3 to 4 days I only play to be at the top tier in the community challenge so I'm not able to have much experience of the creative side. I know everyone can decide how to play, but I want to enjoy creating along with taking part in Community challenge. But right now community challenge is so competitive that I cannot make time for anything else. If it would be clear that reaching the top bar means you are in top 10% then it would be really helpful for me.

I know that most of these things depend on the players but still if some of these can be addressed, I would really appreciate that.

A bit more variation would be nice as well;
Releasing/breeding are the only 2 options. Don't have any ideas for variation but I hope sometime they add more options.

1. I like some competition but there's no entire community reward.. I was hoping for some scenery items or something anyone can enjoy (if you contributed at least 1 animal)
2. Sometimes you're Lucky with the frontier zoo seller but that's it.. If you don't have much CC, these challenges are out of your reach.
3. Inbreeding is basically mandatory if you want to be in the higher tiers.
4. Really depends on your zoo.. If you make a good profit every year, you can afford the multiple habitat. I see your point, though !
5. It's definately a big impact, if you want to take part in challenges.. I only completed the enitre outift and moved on. A challenge every 2 weeks would be option... :D

They could have added releasing gold animals or each of 4 gene greater than 60% or something.

What I understand from the description of community challenge is that people coming together to do the right thing. Instead all of us are just trying to be at the top. It is better than before that now the tier system is 10%, 30% and 75%, but still, I don't know what but something needs to be improved.

This is something I have been trying to confirm for awhile now. As near as I can tell, the number of animals required is a set number, and not just based on the top % of players? Am I mistaken?

If it was based on the top % of players, then I would expect that number to change the longer the challenge goes on. For example, if someone had a strong enough set up to zip through and get to the top on day 1-2 of the challenge, they might get the top reward for breeding, say, 25 animals. But then other people who don't have as strong a set up might have to get upwards of, say, 100 animals, if they take longer to get to that top % of players.

However, in conferring with other players here and on Reddit, it seems like everyone got the top reward for just about the same number of animals. (For example, to get the hat for the Panda challenge it appears you needed to breed 25 baby pandas.)

I really wish I could get some confirmation on this. If it's just a set number, then it won't require people to "compete" with each other, and they really are just working together to reach that goal. But if that number changes as the challenge progresses, then that is, well... It's complete rubbish@!^ if you ask me.

This is something I have been trying to confirm for awhile now. As near as I can tell, the number of animals required is a set number, and not just based on the top % of players? Am I mistaken?
I really wish I could get some confirmation on this. If it's just a set number, then it won't require people to "compete" with each other, and they really are just working together to reach that goal. But if that number changes as the challenge progresses, then that is, well... It's complete rubbish@!^ if you ask me.
It works like this: the first four rewards are granted on a set number of released/ born animals (different for each challenge). E.g. everyone who breeds five offsprings gets the pants.
The last reward (free animals) is determined on your individual ranking. E.g. the top tier (10% of all participants) consists of people who each released at least 100 animals. If you have the same number, you belong to this top tier and will get three golden animals for free on the following monday.

My bottom line is: the free animals reward mass breeders only, there are a lot of people around, who have already released more than 100 cheetahs. Every casual player should refrain from taking part.

It works like this: the first four rewards are granted on a set number of released/ born animals (different for each challenge). E.g. everyone who breeds five offsprings gets the pants.
The last reward (free animals) is determined on your individual ranking. E.g. the top tier (10% of all participants) consists of people who each released at least 100 animals. If you have the same number, you belong to this top tier and will get three golden animals for free on the following monday.

My bottom line is: the free animals reward mass breeders only, there are a lot of people around, who have already released more than 100 cheetahs. Every casual player should refrain from taking part.

Interesting... But what about the hat, though? Honestly that's my main goal right now.

4.Zoo going bankrupt
As everyone who has tried to breed more and more must have realised that guests do not donate for multiple habitat containing same species and thus it is hard to maintain the Zoo (although I was still making money by a secret technique :p), which is not in the spirit of a community challenge.

I think that's wrong. You will get donations on every habitat where guest can see the animals.
Heck, you can make a profit with a one habitat zoo and only one animal in it.

4.Zoo going bankrupt

I think that's wrong. You will get donations on every habitat where guest can see the animals.
Heck, you can make a profit with a one habitat zoo and only one animal in it.
Visitors only donate once for a species and it's good like that. This game is supposed to be about a zoo, providing a large variety of animals. It's not breeding simulator 2019, earning money or CC by having many habitats with the same species.

I completed the outfit today and I think I got the hat at 14 cheetahs released.

EDIT: Yep, just checked. 14 cheetahs released.

I actually just made a post about this, because I just got the hat, too! (Like literally 10 minutes ago.) And I'm not at the "top" of the challenge, yet! So I was really surprised by that, because I assumed you had to be in that top section to get the hat!

There is still - or again - something wrong with their counting system. I released a cub or two and got the message that I had earned 3 more rewards, but only got two: some CC and the second outfit part. Later on, I got the message about another reward, but didn’t get anything.

Looks like the rewards system still works like it initially did when three rewards - CC, outfit and an animal - were possible.

3.Inbreeding
4.Zoo going bankrupt

1. Personally, I don't care about the 'competition' because the current rewards for being in the top 10% are basically worthless.
2. Every event has Frontier selling (usually bad) cheap animals. If people are selling animals at prices you don't like, then simply don't buy them.
3. Inbreeding isn't really an issue because 2 isn't an issue. I'll agree lack of storage space is definitely an issue when looking for new stock though.
4. Not an issue if you set up a small event zoo with lots of exhibits for donations. Could see it being a problem if you're trying to shoehorn the event into your main zoo.
5. I'll agree on this one - the puppy-mill events are super boring. On the other hand without the events, I probably wouldn't log in (because bugfest) outside of a major patch/new animal.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no community event. I couldn't care less if we reach the release/breeding goals because we don't actually get anything cool for reaching said goal. When these community events first launched, I thought for sure we'd get a new animal skin, an albino tiger or a cute tiger statue/building item/etc for reaching the community goal. Just something we could actually place down in our zoos. But nope, all we got was disappointment! So now I just don't care: I log on, farm for my personal rewards and then log off until the next event.
Luckily, they also majorly nerfed the amount of animals you need to release this event to get your avatar outfit, so it's pretty fast to complete this time round. You can get it for under 5000CC by just buying/wild-releasing animals from Frontier zoo (around 300-500CC per animal). Much quicker than actually breeding cheetahs in multiple enclosures.

For me, the main issues with these community events can be be summed up in 2 points:
1. It's incredibly boring (breed/release puppy-mills).
2. The rewards are downright terrible.

You can have a fun event with poor rewards or a boring event with great rewards - we have boring events with poor rewards. What's the point in that? If they don't want to put any effort into these events, I'd honestly prefer they just stop and put that tiny amount of extra time into fixing bugs.

I would add that with the Community Challenges being conducted weekly they lose that special and/or exciting feeling that they should have. They feel more like a job than they feel rewarding.

Agree on this. I'd much rather see a 2-week/monthly challenge with a decent reward at the end of it vs the current events running every week. Less events per year, with more effort put into each event's rewards. I'd love to see a building pack based on the event animals (think themed donation boxes, signs, sculptures, lights, walls/floors, etc). The avatar outfits is just a medicore reward; this isn't the sims or a game where we can actually see our characters all the time.

Last edited:
These are the few points I would like to mention that I realised are wrong with the community challenge. I also do most of these things so I am also at fault, but I think something could be done to bring some change.

This time during Pandamonium I was lucky enough to get started early and bought a few pair or pandas before their prices went high. But by the time I thought of adding new pandas to increase the gene pool most of the pandas were of 10000 cc, and their stats were not even half decent of what I already had. I think many who even want to take part, cannot take part because of this and the community is the one to blame for not letting them.(Me too as some were still buying them at 10000 cc, I too made a lot of cc).

3.Inbreeding
Although I always try to avoid this, I am sometimes forced to do this as I cannot buy anymore animals either because their price is too high or I don't have any room left in storage.

4.Zoo going bankrupt

Out of 7 days of the week about 3 to 4 days I only play to be at the top tier in the community challenge so I'm not able to have much experience of the creative side. I know everyone can decide how to play, but I want to enjoy creating along with taking part in Community challenge. But right now community challenge is so competitive that I cannot make time for anything else. If it would be clear that reaching the top bar means you are in top 10% then it would be really helpful for me.

I know that most of these things depend on the players but still if some of these can be addressed, I would really appreciate that.
It's not the community's fault when it's designed wrong.

It's not breeding simulator 2019, earning money or CC by having many habitats with the same species.
Are you sure about that - im 100% with you, but some "players" of Planet Zoo will disagree. Even for me (who is 100% with you) it feels more like a breeding and trading simulator. And the chalanges are forcing it.

Instead of organizing those questionable challenges they would better invest their time in fixing bugs and explaining the community what is going on.
I stopped doing those chalanges. They take a lot of time and the rewards are .. no idea how to explain that.

Agree on this. I'd much rather see a 2-week/monthly challenge with a decent reward at the end of it vs the current events running every week. Less events per year, with more effort put into each event's rewards. I'd love to see a building pack based on the event animals (think themed donation boxes, signs, sculptures, lights, walls/floors, etc). The avatar outfits is just a medicore reward; this isn't the sims or a game where we can actually see our characters all the time.
I would really like themed Donation Boxes or at least a Option to change the striped Donation Box to one with Spots, Scales etc.
Also new Building-Sets would be a really great Reward. I've built a Egyptian Building for my Cheetahs and I would've loved it to add two Egyptian Cat Statues or Cheetah Statues to the Entrance

2. Every event has Frontier selling (usually bad) cheap animals. If people are selling animals at prices you don't like, then simply don't buy them.

I had to chime in here because of this one line. You don't always have that option because people buy the cheap animals and resell them at ridiculous prices so basically the only ones available are priced ridiculously. At least they are every time I have even tried to play franchise. It's stupid how much CC you need just to get some basic animals.

I had to chime in here because of this one line. You don't always have that option because people buy the cheap animals and resell them at ridiculous prices so basically the only ones available are priced ridiculously. At least they are every time I have even tried to play franchise. It's stupid how much CC you need just to get some basic animals.
But once you get them you can make more CC.

Top Bottom