❄ Planet Zoo: Arctic Pack coming 17 December ❄

Look I love more content to these kinda games, I really really do I have all but the most recent for JWE. All for ark: Survival evolved just to name two but you need to have a fully functioning game before even considering doing dlc and you really don't have that yet. Putting out dlc while the game was unfinished nearly killed Ark and the amount of bugs, incorrect information, annoying mechanics ect still in the main PZ game need to be fixed. Hell the animal market still doesn't even function properly?

I understand that game development is hella expensive and there are people working on this but it really feels far too early for a dlc even just looking at the feedback forum itself. I am fully accepting of once a game is finished new content can go to paid dlc. Thats only right the game is finished but your still has so much work to do on it...
I am not even fussed at the price £8 is fine but I have had to stop playing because it stopped being fun with the bugs but thats just my opinion.

Sorry did you miss this post literally 24 hours before this one?

Loving all the laid-on-thick platitudes but what has this DLC got to do with updates to the Base Game? They just released both at the same time! A free 1.1 update with new functionality for the base game and an OPTIONAL largely cosmetic DLC. So the only evidence is that they can clearly do both. What is the problem? People are talking like the base game has stopped being developed and everyone is working on DLCs and Planet Zoo II. There is zero evidence for it, there is zero evidence in this announcement too and there is zero evidence in the entire 3 year lifetime of its sister game Planet Coaster.

I can only speak for myself here and I have no experience with PC but I personally feel alot of games have started focusing on the dlc they can pump out and not the base game. Is that happening here? I really don't know, I honestly don't. Ark pushed out a dlc while still in early access and that very nearly killed the entire game, they managed to pull it back and other than the awful optimisation I love it but why the rush to push out a dlc in the first few weeks of the base game being out? Maybe they just wanted it for christmas? Again I don't know.

I am aware that in the company there will be different departments focusing on different things and one part can do dlc while the other bugs, easy, but when a good chunk of the player base can't even play the game due to bugs or unable to buy animals or crashing or their zoos being deleted it just feels... off?

I for one can almost guarantee I will buy this dlc, I just feel it's a little early tbh?

I think you would find all the answers to allay your concerns if you had just read the big post just 24 hours before instead of jumping to conclusions

Sorry did you miss this post literally 24 hours before this one?

Uh no? I didn't? And I am very grateful for that update? and I know there will be more updates coming?
Did you miss the part where I said I have no issue with there being dlc for the game I just feel it's a little early? There seems to be this trend now where games want to get dlc out as fast as possible even if the main game is still buggy. They are clearly still working on the main game, I guess I don't see why a game has to be out for what a month and already seem to be throwing dlcs around.

I am not going to argue with people I said what I wanted to say, I will likely buy this dlc once I can actually play the main game again and I wish no ill on the developers I am well aware of how hard it is to make and remove bugs from a game.

Right so its clear they are continuing to develop the base game. They did the same with Planet Coaster over its 3 years and Elite Dangerous (5 years) continue with regular (settling down to quarterly updates) free updates and bug fixes while releasing cosmetic DLCs (I say cosmetic in reference to the DLCs as they are mainly extra art assets to be used in your park plus some stand alone scenarios to play out). So yeah its all vanilla, you arent being conned, you dont need a lawyer, so chill and wait for the base game updates and be happy for others who can enjoy the new assets in the DLCs.

There are still bugs in the game, how many you experience varies greatly from player to player. For some, they can barely play at all but for most, it is just a few annoying things that are being addressed. I'm not buying this DLC right away because I lost a zoo after the 1.0.3 update and I'm not allowing myself to get excited for the 1.1 update just in case it introduces more bugs. But before the update, I hardly experienced any at all, and in the new zoo I started after 1.0.3 I hardly experience any bugs at all. I suspect that at this point there are very few people who are barely able to play at all - those that have this problem should try starting a new zoo, it worked for me.

To generalize - the term dev is pretty broad - modelers, animators, and texturers work on new content - level designers and programmers work on bugs. It is not a problem for a company the size of Frontier to both create new content and work out the bugs. We'll see how the game sits after the big 1.1 update on Tuesday. If I lose another zoo I'll be in here raising holy hell. If not I'll be praising Frontier because the list includes quite a few things I want. You know how it is, there is no middle ground for gamers :)

aww.. as much as this is cool, penguins would have been perfect to be introduced in this expansion.. I guess they'll come eventually.

There are still bugs in the game, how many you experience varies greatly from player to player. For some, they can barely play at all but for most, it is just a few annoying things that are being addressed. I'm not buying this DLC right away because I lost a zoo after the 1.0.3 update and I'm not allowing myself to get excited for the 1.1 update just in case it introduces more bugs. But before the update, I hardly experienced any at all, and in the new zoo I started after 1.0.3 I hardly experience any bugs at all. I suspect that at this point there are very few people who are barely able to play at all - those that have this problem should try starting a new zoo, it worked for me.

To generalize - the term dev is pretty broad - modelers, animators, and texturers work on new content - level designers and programmers work on bugs. It is not a problem for a company the size of Frontier to both create new content and work out the bugs. We'll see how the game sits after the big 1.1 update on Tuesday. If I lose another zoo I'll be in here raising holy hell. If not I'll be praising Frontier because the list includes quite a few things I want. You know how it is, there is no middle ground for gamers :)

Yes yes yes....no middle like you say, Imagin, I think I'm a bit at fault as well as I was expecting too much from this game before the launch. I would gladly tolerate all the current bugs if the Frontier made their engine and creation pipeline for procedural content ... animals with an actual AI with genetic algorithm. Growing trees, dynamic environment and that kind of jazz. An actual simulator... I'd be here defending them for little bugs here and there.... But it's not. This is a rule-base classic project with lots of code and content copied from another project... can't help to feel a bit cheated by those marketing tactics !

Yes yes yes....no middle like you say, Imagin, I think I'm a bit at fault as well as I was expecting too much from this game before the launch. I would gladly tolerate all the current bugs if the Frontier made their engine and creation pipeline for procedural content ... animals with an actual AI with genetic algorithm. Growing trees, dynamic environment and that kind of jazz. An actual simulator... I'd be here defending them for little bugs here and there.... But it's not. This is a rule-base classic project with lots of code and content copied from another project... can't help to feel a bit cheated by those marketing tactics !

Why would you feel cheated? We all knew exactly what we were getting when we bought the game. There was no reason to think that we'd be getting growing trees or any of the other "jazz" you mentioned. I'm not sure any more jazz would be a good idea considering the lag some people report with what we already have. We knew it was the same engine as Planet Coaster. I also think it was released before it should have been but the bugs are getting worked out, it's nothing to feel cheated about. We could always just set the game aside for a couple months and wait for more bugs to get worked out but now that it's here it's unlike many will do that :)

We could always just set the game aside for a couple months and wait for more bugs to get worked out but now that it's here it's unlike many will do that

Yes this is what I've done. Gone back playing Planco and some other games for now. Maybe I'll try what you said and delete everything and start new in planzoo. But... ya... I don't feel like filling another issue report... I don't feel like beta testing a game, so, I'll leave that to you guys. I've done more than a hundred 3d assets for Planco players with the toolkit, think Ive done enough.

Stop saying 1.1 is a free update. They only try to fix their game. I copy paste my post from steam here:

Slower age for animals - should have been there from the start cause of beta feedback

Pack behavior for certain species - was advertised but not in the game

improved social behaviour - was big advertised but only the minimum in the game

heat maps, management updates - should have been there from the start (not their first park management so they should know what needs to be displayed with heatmaps and how allerts should work)

news feed - useless cause of twitter, steam,...

They fix their game with an update/patch whatever you will call it and tell you it is free.
The only thing that is free are the rocks and foliage items. And the items should have been announced as an apology for the broken game and not as a gift. Cause here they act like they did everything right and not like they they delivered a broken product for many players.

Stop saying 1.1 is a free update. They only try to fix their game. I copy paste my post from steam here:

Slower age for animals - should have been there from the start cause of beta feedback

heat maps, management updates - should have been there from the start (not their first park management so they should know what needs to be displayed with heatmaps and how allerts should work)

They fix their game with an update/patch whatever you will call it and tell you it is free.
The only thing that is free are the rocks and foliage items. And the items should have been announced as an apology for the broken game and not as a gift. Cause here they act like they did everything right and not like they they delivered a broken product for many players.

Dude, it's already been explained that the only reason they mentioned it is free is that if they don't people assume it's not or ask and they have to answer the question over and over.

Re slower aging: Yes, it was beta feedback. But programming doesn't happen with a snip of your fingers and the speed is acore game mechanic. It simply took them until now toprogramm a good solution. Good things take time.

Re pack behaviour: It was in the game. just not in a realistic way. They fixed that. Since it was not a bug, yes, it's an update due to feedback. Same goes for social behaviour.

Re heatmaps: Did planco have heat maps? I never saw them. So it's their first time working with heat maps. Yes, then they need to learn from the player base what is needed and what not.

Re News Feed: Not everyone is on social media and follows them. While the news feed is useless for those who are okay with sociak media, with the news feed they reach all their players.

And the team and Imagin said several times now, here, on twitter, on instagram: It's called free, because otherwise players would ask if it is free or not. But if you didn't read that statement anywhere - maybe the news feed isn't as useless as <you think it will be.

Re slower aging: Yes, it was beta feedback. But programming doesn't happen with a snip of your fingers and the speed is acore game mechanic. It simply took them until now toprogramm a good solution. Good things take time.

Re pack behaviour: It was in the game. just not in a realistic way. They fixed that. Since it was not a bug, yes, it's an update due to feedback. Same goes for social behaviour.

Re heatmaps: Did planco have heat maps? I never saw them. So it's their first time working with heat maps. Yes, then they need to learn from the player base what is needed and what not.

Re News Feed: Not everyone is on social media and follows them. While the news feed is useless for those who are okay with sociak media, with the news feed they reach all their players.

And the team and Imagin said several times now, here, on twitter, on instagram: It's called free, because otherwise players would ask if it is free or not. But if you didn't read that statement anywhere - maybe the news feed isn't as useless as <you think it will be.

with some people there is nothing to do, nothing will ever go well and the complaint will always be in the foreground, regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what they said about the free in front of the announcement! I´m the owner of Frontier, and you have to believe me cause i said so! The "FREE" in front of everything is nothing but simple marketing!
What´s the point of a beta if nothing of the feedback is there on the release date of the game?
Show a video with pack behavior even if it is not realistic. In my whole playtime i never saw it one time. Always fighting for alpha is no pack behavior!
Heatmaps are in JWE and even in Planco for testing you rides! I played both!
And with steam they reach all their players too. If you and others like this it´s ok, but my point is that there was no need for it and in my opinion a waste of resources!

If you do not complain about things that went wrong and let them know it there will be no changes!
What i hate here is that no company is honest with it´s customers. The manipulativ behavior these days is disgusting. But it "just works". Even with the badest practices there are ppl who defend it! I´m not talking here only about frontier.

I know what they said about the free in front of the announcement! I´m the owner of Frontier, and you have to believe me cause i said so!

Wait, what? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL: I'm sorry if you are not a native speaker and meant something completly different, but that part made my day. Obviously you are the reason why things didn't went well,then ;)

I'm the last one that is against critique and complaints, but a solid base for it is a necessity.

The Planet Zoo beta was simply too short before release to add in complex individual settings and adding everything players wished for. The communication before the beta could have been a little better in my opinion, but complaining now that features based on feedback is added 1 month and a week after release and not right away is in my opinion wasted energy and a little overdramatic. EA left sims players hanging for over two years without any sort of respectful communication. And we are talking about what - six weeks?

By the way: I read twitter and instagram posts but never steam. No, they don't reach everyone via steam and I bet frontiers mailbox is flooded with annoying "WHY IS THE FRANCHISE SERVER DOWN?!?!?!?!!!111" mails every monday.

Top Bottom