❄ Planet Zoo: Arctic Pack coming 17 December ❄

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
on one hand I'm excited- I love the sound of the new animals and the items and scenarios. on the other I'm not very pleased with the idea that the game is still buggy (and unplayable in quite a few cases) and a paid dlc is already being released. I'm worried about the big update because it's just gonna either 1) not fix things the way they need to be fixed/not fix them at all and/or 2) introduce many new bugs. I'm worried that all the time that could've been used on bug fixes was used on this, and that will continue to be the way things go from here on out. and I'm like. idk. side-eyeing here

I would not hesitate to buy the pack if the game was running better and the updates had been more frequent and successful in actually IMPROVING things, but as is I don't think I'll be getting it.

As we mentioned in the free Update 1.1 announcement post, that is a whole free update that is full of fixes and improvements! We've done an update nearly every week and we are absolutely dedicated to sorting out problems people are having. The Arctic Pack is separate from that. Have a look here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/planet-zoo-update-1-1-0-coming-17-december.532566/ for more info, as well as our previous replies where we mention a couple of specific bugs that will be addressed. There's way more too it, but the full update notes will be there for you on Tuesday!

Scandinavian theme??? Anyone else going to build some Skyrim buildings and places?

I'm now looking into having a Norway theme with a Stave Church. Not sure if the elements needed are in the pack, but we'll see.

1280px-Stavechurch-heddal.jpg

Stave churches came to my mind as well.

While they indeed might be a bit too special, I definitely expect more wooden building parts - something I am always looking forward to, as they are so nice for natural looking zoos (even if not originated in the northern countries).

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Was discussed earlier in the thread, this pack was never intended for the base game. They do plan these DLC releases a long time in advance not just on a whim.

I'm not saying it was removed from base game, I'm saying releasing it 6 weeks after launch is the quickest way to get people talking like that. And a "no it isn't" response from a community manager won't make those people change their mind.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Kai
This was the reason I never bought Planet Coaster. All those tiny, but expensive DLC's. When I heard that Planet Zoo was gonna be released I was worried that they would do the same thing. And it turns out they did.

I don't mind buying DLC's at all. But I truly detest these kinds of small packs with very little content. Why don't just release expansion packs? I'd feel better about paying more for an expansion pack than 10 dollar for a DLC with four animals. And yeah, I know it got building assets, but I could care less about that.

Do you care that you also get 200 or so scenery building items and 2 scenarios for Career Mode? No offence intended at all, I am just curious about how people value DLC that included items for more than one type of player.

Some just like to ignore things that they supposedly have no interest in then make it seem like we're being overcharged. If you don't care about assets fine but saying the pack has 'little content' as you're basing its value on the things that only interest you is kind of ridiculous.

Do you care that you also get 200 or so scenery building items and 2 scenarios for Career Mode? No offence intended at all, I am just curious about how people value DLC that included items for more than one type of player.

i completely dont care about the carrer mode, sandbox mode or the strange offline-mode-for-the-online-game-core-sellingpoint-feature. the 200 pscenery p. may be fine, the animals are ok, but i wished they would include something else ( like everybody) (walrus and muskox). i dont care about the money but i am furious about the over the top exitement of some maybe paid community members, when some others are still loosing their zoos and i can watch my pandas in a slideshow with a happy alteration of 90 to 1 fps in my middle-sized zoo (only in that one zoo) that summons all my emotions up.

Some just like to ignore things that they supposedly have no interest in then make it seem like we're being overcharged. If you don't care about assets fine but saying the pack has 'little content' as you're basing it on the things that only interest you is kind of ridiculous.

Perhaps, but Frontier might sell more DLC packs and players might value them higher if they designed packs for one type of player and priced them accordingly. I suspect that if they also offered a separate smaller pack with just the 4 animals for $5 they would sell a lot more. Same with the scenery building objects - sell them separately for $5. Also offer the full pack for $10 because the scenario people need everything to do the scenarios.

Honestly, I don't understand the problem, if you like create buildings and play career mode you'll be happy for this DLC, if you don't like these things in the game and you think that 4 new animals are not worth 10 euro, simply don't buy this DLC. To please everyone, it would be interesting to have a package of 3 or 4 euros with only the new animals.

This was the reason I never bought Planet Coaster. All those tiny, but expensive DLC's. When I heard that Planet Zoo was gonna be released I was worried that they would do the same thing. And it turns out they did.

I don't mind buying DLC's at all. But I truly detest these kinds of small packs with very little content. Why don't just release expansion packs? I'd feel better about paying more for an expansion pack than 10 dollar for a DLC with four animals. And yeah, I know it got building assets, but I could care less about that.

Really? I find it very hard to believe you considering how cheap Planet Coaster and its DLCs go when there is a Sale on Steam! Hundreds of hours of gameplay for the price of a restaurant meal with wine.

it's shameful and scandalous, just 1 real update and already a dlc seriously .... it's going to be like planet coaster, I'm a little disappointed ... i hope that you will do better ! I believe in you ...

I don't mean to pick on you individually as there are many who seem to feel this way but I really don't understand it. We all knew what the original game came with when we bought it and were happy with that. Why would anyone expect more for free? I'm hoping that they do lots and lots of DLC so I can pick and chose what I want to buy to extend my enjoyment of the game. None of it is needed to play the base game so it's completely optional. Why are you disappointed because they are continuing to build for the game? Why does it matter how soon they are doing this? What is shameful and scandalous about it? They are continuing to work on bugs and creating DLC doesn't interfere with that. I don't see your point.

Look I love more content to these kinda games, I really really do I have all but the most recent for JWE. All for ark: Survival evolved just to name two but you need to have a fully functioning game before even considering doing dlc and you really don't have that yet. Putting out dlc while the game was unfinished nearly killed Ark and the amount of bugs, incorrect information, annoying mechanics ect still in the main PZ game need to be fixed. Hell the animal market still doesn't even function properly?

I understand that game development is hella expensive and there are people working on this but it really feels far too early for a dlc even just looking at the feedback forum itself. I am fully accepting of once a game is finished new content can go to paid dlc. Thats only right the game is finished but your still has so much work to do on it...
I am not even fussed at the price £8 is fine but I have had to stop playing because it stopped being fun with the bugs but thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
Loving all the laid-on-thick platitudes but what has this DLC got to do with updates to the Base Game? They just released both at the same time! A free 1.1 update with new functionality for the base game and an OPTIONAL largely cosmetic DLC. So the only evidence is that they can clearly do both. What is the problem? People are talking like the base game has stopped being developed and everyone is working on DLCs and Planet Zoo II. There is zero evidence for it, there is zero evidence in this announcement too and there is zero evidence in the entire 3 year lifetime of its sister game Planet Coaster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom