Why is it that guest don't like to see the staff facility or behind staff area???

Why is it so???

While in real life zoo, some guest like to explore and experience what is behind the scene like? Some zoo even offer feedings to animals at off exhibits area, dens, or night quarters? Some zoo guest even pay to see lion /tiger up close and see zookeeper feed the animals?

Why in game, is different ideas?

Something i dislike in this mechanic is that guest even get affected when they cant see the staff facility.

Some are explaining it by the smell or the noise coming from those buildings. Ok, but this really restricts me in a lot of ways.

For example i like to build combined buildings: in one building i have downstairs a small mall with shops, a backstage area with toilets and stairs for the staff to get to their rooms take a break. Near to their shops so they dont have to walk that long. Problem is my guests get annoyed by that staff-room, although they cant even see it. Its right above them. So there also cant be smell or noise. This is a bit annoying.

In another zoo i placed staff buildings in a cave deep beyond the guest-paths - but they still get annoyed.

I think hiding it in a cave will work, if you dig at least 2 or 3 squares down from the roof of the offending building. It's the distance that counts, not what you do to hide it.

Hiding does not work. The negative effect is not actually caused by visitors "seeing" the facilities, but by getting too close to them. All facility buildings (except solar panels) have a spherical negative-impact-zone and if a visitor enters that sphere they will react negatively.

Putting them in caves, underground, etc. only seems to work for some people because once you go down or up the sphere's reach is reduced on the standard horizontal plane...because that's how spheres work.

You can bring up a heat map that actually shows you the spherical zone in red by going to heat maps and selecting "negative impact on guests". Bring that up when placing your facilities and use it to position them just out of range of visitor paths and you'll never have to worry about the negative reactions again, even if you leave them completely in plain sight.

@Fortunanovesia I don't disagree there, it is pretty dumb that it's just a distance sphere. A break room on a 2nd floor that isn't even accessible to visitors absolutely shouldn't have a negative impact, yet it does.

It's not just "stupid," as you say, it also limits our ability to be creative by forcing us to use specific parameters for our zoo layouts. It's definitely something Frontier should consider changing imo.

My zoo is running bankruptcy because guests are complaing about facilities in sight and they all get a refund. I put them underground and they are still complaning about it.

Guys actually you can see whether will the guest be affected using heat map.

It is located at bottom left. A radar.

Shelter
Transvible area
Happines
Guest impact

People love animals, but what they do hate is the noise, the stink, and the sight of sick animals. Noise and stink go through walls, especially when an animal is in pain or distress.

In real life I am very keen to see all this. And how zookeeper feed the animal. And zoo animal confinement area.

Why in the game, the guest dislike all this

In real life I am very keen to see all this. And how zookeeper feed the animal. And zoo animal confinement area.

Why in the game, the guest dislike all this
Your opinion is not special, but also not common. Most people (I hope) bring children with them, who are to young to grasp the meaning of life and death. They may even get nightmares from this. You need to take them in consideration as well.

People love animals, but what they do hate is the noise, the stink, and the sight of sick animals. Noise and stink go through walls, especially when an animal is in pain or distress.
for keeper-houses for example thats true.

But when theres a staffroom on the floor above the guest-area? Where should the smell/noise come from?

Another thing thats really irritating for me: theres a scenery-rating for the facility-building. Guest dont like to see/recognize them but they rate their look though?

Guys actually you can see whether will the guest be affected using heat map.

It is located at bottom left. A radar.

Shelter
Transvible area
Happines
Guest impact

I know, but I put all the facilities underground, how can the still "see" or "smell" them?!?

It's a game, not a depiction of real life. Some things have to be changed as would you want to wait almost 2 years for an elephant to give birth, I suspect there would be a lot of unhappy people with the trading system then.

I don't want to see the staff on there cell phones, going to the toilet, smoking, generators, ill animals

In our city's zoo visitors pay 20 bucks entrance fee and an additional 30 bucks to get a behind the scenes tour.

It would have make much more sense to include 'show' food preparation buildings for example, which are common in every modern IRL zoo. I would not have minded if you have to research them for example and to start with basic ones.

It's a game mechanic, it was the same in JWE. We all know how it works so we just need to design our zoos around that. It's hardly the only non-realistic thing in the game - what animals do you know who only eat once a month in real life? You can't make a game completely realistic, it is what it is and it's just not that hard to work around at all. You don't have to hide the staff buildings at all, they can be completely open in plain sight, they just have to be set up so that their red zone doesn't overlap guest areas and you'll never get a complaint. Just use a staff path to get your staff buildings out of range of the guests.

In our city's zoo visitors pay 20 bucks entrance fee and an additional 30 bucks to get a behind the scenes tour.

It would have make much more sense to include 'show' food preparation buildings for example, which are common in every modern IRL zoo. I would not have minded if you have to research them for example and to start with basic ones.
Quite. You pay £200 for a 'zookeeper' day at the local zoo here. That always includes being taken around the staff areas, including food prep rooms. It's daft how the guests in PZ throw a hissy fit as soon as they see any sort of staff building - it's a zoo not an art gallery. Most staff facilities in zoos are basically in plain sight, they're just inaccessible & normally disguised with fences/information boards/decoration.

Doesn't really matter if there's other unrealistic things (like the continental plant restrictions that also need to be removed) - I still don't think the staff building restrictions add anything of benefit to the game, and it would be easy for them to change/remove.

Last edited:
It's pretty easy for Frontier to remove this though

I don't think that they should. I enjoy making my private little staff areas and I think that my staff deserves some private space. I don't think my busy keepers would benefit from having guests in their little huts watching them make food - I don't think the frame rate would either. Deliberately putting guests in the staff areas is a whole new game mechanic and definitely not something Frontier should be concerning themselves with at this point.

I don't think that they should. I enjoy making my private little staff areas and I think that my staff deserves some private space. I don't think my busy keepers would benefit from having guests in their little huts watching them make food - I don't think the frame rate would either. Deliberately putting guests in the staff areas is a whole new game mechanic and definitely not something Frontier should be concerning themselves with at this point.
I don't think people are asking Frontier to add some new mechanic for guests to tour the staff buildings - I think they just want guests be able to walk near them without throwing a tantrum.

Top Bottom