Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

I'm experimenting with an "HDR" filter, which apparently turns off ambient lighting so that the dark side of objects are REALLY dark, as one would expect in the vacuum of space with only one star. It looks amazing, but I've only done limited testing. It might totally mess things up in certain areas. If this is something any of you are interested in, let me know and I can give you the shader hash code.

Attachments

• HDR.jpg
    HDR.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 775
I love the HDR filter, that looks very realistic!

If it isn't too awkward, any chance you could give a very brief "How To" description on experimenting with 3DMigoto? It looks like something I'd enjoy having a play with...

I love the HDR filter, that looks very realistic!
I like it very much myself, and have tested it quite a bit and think it is safe. I've updated the d3dx.txt file in the OP to include this and a couple other changes. Just redownload the file and replace the original. As with everything, the effect can be turned off by commenting the code.

Here's a picture of Mercury:

Mercy.jpg

The dark side is black as black can be, which looks extra good with a black sky. Unfortunately non-landable planets still have "bright" dark sides, for whatever reason. Still, the "HDR" look makes everything feel much more like "in space" realistic IMO, so give it a try!

As for the details of "how", let me get back to you on that. It's a bit complicated and I'm still figuring a few things out (I just started playing with it today, LOL).

Last edited:
I like the more minimalist HUD and darker space background, because it increases immersion. Good work.
The hardest part is landing at a POI, but if you orbit the planet while watching your compass and distance counter, you can land right on top of a ground base or POI using just those two things alone. I love the extra reliance this forces on cockpit instruments, along with the uninterrupted view of space.

As for aiming rail guns, I sure do miss my little "this is where they will hit" dot, but it's not impossible to land hits at closer range.

The dark side is black as black can be, which looks extra good with a black sky. Unfortunately non-landable planets still have "bright" dark sides, for whatever reason. Still, the "HDR" look makes everything feel much more like "in space" realistic IMO, so give it a try!

As for the details of "how", let me get back to you on that. It's a bit complicated and I'm still figuring a few things out (I just started playing with it today, LOL).
Nice work Old Duck. +1

The above is probably a safety thing to stop ppl flying into the (currently) non-landables coming to a dead stop and taking damage. the landables you get the OC buffer for safety ?!

No idea if its implemented in a shader, but if you could also nuke the volumetric fog effects in asteroid rings....

Thanks for commenting your config file. Will definitely give it a go customising to taste.

Also you can just change make + change fire groups to make the vertical lines autohide. Hey wait this might let me enable heatsinks and chaff again never mind.

Strangely I can't manage to make it works.

I extracted the x64 folder files from the 1.3.8 zip in /elite-dangerous-64 folder, downloaded your .txt file and renamed it with .ini at the end and dragged it in the /elite-dangerous folder but it didn't ask to replace any actual file. Tried to launch the game but no changes in it ?

I'm experimenting with an "HDR" filter, which apparently turns off ambient lighting so that the dark side of objects are REALLY dark, as one would expect in the vacuum of space with only one star. It looks amazing, but I've only done limited testing. It might totally mess things up in certain areas. If this is something any of you are interested in, let me know and I can give you the shader hash code.
Um, yes. I'd like that, please.

I'm working on a game-related coding project and am curious how this will look.

Added this to observed. When I finally sort out connection issues (upgraded PC, new MB, not enough USB 2.0, too much USB 3.0 and C) and reconnect X52Pro and re-configure I may try this. Looking good.

I've updated the OP to remove confusion between the different uses of "space dust". I've removed the interstellar clouds of dust that are way too bright in ED (I can't see these with the naked eye when looking up at the sky), but separate from this I've also removed what I have now recoined as "space snow", which is probably more apt as it indeed looks like big snowflakes whizzing by the cockpit in VR. These are two separate filters, so you can turn one off while leaving the other on if you prefer. Some people rely on space snow to get their bearings (velocity), so feel free to disable this particular filter by commenting out ( ; ) the appropriate code.

Strangely I can't manage to make it works.

I extracted the x64 folder files from the 1.3.8 zip in /elite-dangerous-64 folder, downloaded your .txt file and renamed it with .ini at the end and dragged it in the /elite-dangerous folder but it didn't ask to replace any actual file. Tried to launch the game but no changes in it ?
Make sure you are downloading the latest version of 3DMigoto. I'm using 1.3.16. You probably should uninstall your current version before installing the new version. There's a "README" included in the files that tells you how (it should just be a simple .bat uninstall file).

What effect does the "black space" part of your mod have on
[*]The excessive "scratched canopy" effect that has been markedly obtrusive in some ships (notably AspX) since the 3.3 update?
I've verified that the filter that removes canopy HUD elements also removes the scratches. I don't know if there is a way to turn off the HUD separate from the scratches. I'll experiment more when I have some free time. It IS possible, however, to turn off the scratches while maintaining the HUD. If you are interested in this option, let me know and I can provide you the lines of code to add to the .ini file.

Windshield wiping service? Ur a hero!!!

Edith means: Ah I forgot its the Dr., he's already sacrificed, but still ...

Windshield wiping service? Ur a hero!!!

To be fair, the ability to remove the scratches from the glass has been around for a long time, but the "knowledge was lost" in the depths of the forum. CMDR AD's original modifications cleaned up the window, but his title focuses on removing station haze (which is something I actually prefer to keep), which might be why the clear glass modifications were not as well known.

Top Bottom