A Simple Solution to Combat Logging

In a theoretical Open PvE mode: killing another cmdr.

I'm sure the defense would be "oh I didn't mean to / I boosted accidently / they were on the wrong side of the toast rack" etc. But the second time it happens? the third? FDev get to go "ok soft ban for you, until you git gud at flying". If it's a proper PvE player, they get a time out (and remember they don't want PvP in an Open PvE Mode), but an actual griefer gets booted out.
Given enough repeat offenses and the bans get longer.

Of course a "proper PvPer", who wants to fight combat equipped cmdrs, shouldn't have a problem with any of this either.

I thought this wasn't rocket science to think through.

EDIT: sorry @Filthymick420 I've made edits after your like, in case you want to remove it

But it is not the the "proper PvPer" that is the cause of this, trying to make it that way is simply dishonest.... and it is not these players who the PvE players are worried about, it is the other group of PvP players that deals with ganking and other activities that are more for the lulz etc, to have the other player to react to them being "mean"

The real problem with your sweeping blanket statement is that it is completely unsubstantiated, nor could it ever be substantiated unless you have a proper survey of cloggers that nobody else has seen. Examples...

Explorers. I doubt any explorers really give a toss about rebuys - exploration pays massively (1.5 billion my last trip) and most exploration ships have reasonably low rebuys. The prospect of losing exploration data, however...

PP/BGS addicts. Again, credits have become pretty insignificant lately. I'd wager someone would be more motivated by losing all the PP bonds or BGS missions than the rebuy which can be earned in minutes. Literally minutes - my Python mission runner has a 13.5Mcr rebuy, which is maximum two short delivery missions to earn.

Miners. Do you really think the 10-25Mcr rebuy means anything to a player who can bring in 150-300Mcr per run? Or maybe is it more related to the time spent and cargo they're carrying?

Emotionally weak Gankers. Not your average PvPer, rather those who like to attack easy targets, but refuse to let someone get the better of them. Do they care about the rebuy, or are they just soft in the head?

Noobs. Maybe, maybe some noob might clog if they are low on funds. But it's probably more likely that they will panic clog, or die so fast they don't get a chance.

So go on, expand on which players or types of players clog because of the rebuy, and how you know this to be true.
Genuinely too long and waffley for me to read. Can you summarise it a little please? Cheers.

Jesus, calm down it's only a forum discussion. You said that "the reason people c-log is because rebuy costs are so high". But they aren't though. The majority of posts on these forums demand the insurance to be nerfed, saying that 95% coverage is too much. I then concluded that you came up with this statement because they are "so high" in your own opinion. You didn't directly say that you want them reduced, but you seem to be blaming rebuy costs for combat logging. C'mon, lets discuss this like adults.
They’re sufficiently high to encourage some players to log.....so high is relative. Whether you think they are high in absolute terms or not isn’t really the point - they are self-evidently high enough to result in a situation where some people combat log rather than pay them.

Again, an innocuous statement leads to pointless arguments over semantics that just waste everyone’s time.

They’re sufficiently high to encourage some players to log.....so high is relative. Whether you think they are high in absolute terms or not isn’t really the point - they are self-evidently high enough to result in a situation where some people combat log rather than pay them.
This may be the case for you but that doesn't mean it's the case for other players.
Again, an innocuous statement leads to pointless arguments over semantics that just waste everyone’s time.
This is ironically coming from the person that struggles to maintain a constructive argument and ignores posts made by other users that counters their unbacked statements.

Such a substitution could potentially be done in ED (in theory) at the client end (not necessarily an easy thing to implement but it is feasible) BUT it would naturally mean the disconnected remote entity would not necessarily suffer the same fate as a locally emulated one. In the case of a player being the remote agent, their account would not suffer a penalty from the death but the player would at least still retain the opportunity for seeing their pixel explosion.
But this would not be a good enough solution for deliberate combat logging, which is what this thread is about.

All this would provide is a facsimile of having won. But in some cases it's not just about winning, it's about making someone else lose materially in terms of time invested in the game. Combat logging circumvents that loss, and nothing that can be done entirely in software can prevent it or mitigate it without penalising innocent victims of random network failures.

But this would not be a good enough solution for deliberate combat logging, which is what this thread is about.

All this would provide is a facsimile of having won. But in some cases it's not just about winning, it's about making someone else lose materially in terms of time invested in the game. Combat logging circumvents that loss, and nothing that can be done entirely in software can prevent it or mitigate it without penalising innocent victims of random network failures.

And now, we finally get to the crux of the matter- which is exactly what everyone's really alluding to here.

It's not about "combat logging", but rather the lack of satisfaction one feels when the experience of making someone else "lose something" (mainly time invested, because materials can be regained). And if a facsimile achieves this because the person doesn't know if that player did or didn't lose- the person who caused it to happen would be none the wiser anyway.

"Did I just kill the player, or just an NPC replacement?" In the end, they got a pixel explosion, that's what they were after, right?

Or... is it really about making someone else "rage quit" at the other end of the screen? Is that why people play games (not just video games) to begin with? Or is that just an example of poor sportsmanship? Because in my experience, the latter is more applicable here. I remember a time when we'd shake hands with the other team- not because we were acknowledging their "superiority" but rather as a sign of respect for the effort put into the match.

Now it's all "GG" and causing vitriol. "Winning" just doesn't seem to be enough for people who take it that personally, yet they're rather quick to dismiss another's loss.

Because we already KNOW that people are doing the ramming today.... and what rule would they have broken to justify the ban?
In a theoretical Open PvE mode: killing another cmdr.

I'm sure the defense would be "oh I didn't mean to / I boosted accidently / they were on the wrong side of the toast rack" etc. But the second time it happens? the third? FDev get to go "ok soft ban for you, until you git gud at flying". If it's a proper PvE player, they get a time out (and remember they don't want PvP in an Open PvE Mode), but an actual griefer gets booted out.
Given enough repeat offenses and the bans get longer.

Of course a "proper PvPer", who wants to fight combat equipped cmdrs, shouldn't have a problem with any of this either.

But it is not the the "proper PvPer" that is the cause of this, trying to make it that way is simply dishonest.... and it is not these players who the PvE players are worried about, it is the other group of PvP players that deals with ganking and other activities that are more for the lulz etc, to have the other player to react to them being "mean"
Let me try to explain again, since I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say.

Open PvE Mode (shooting disabled, ramming enabled as a mechanic, but ToS is no killing other cmdrs)
  • PvE player: always tries to obeys the no killing rule
  • "proper PvPer": plays in other modes, obeys the rules in Open PvE
  • "griefer PvPer": attempts to cause mischief and kill other cmdrs by ramming

The only player getting bans would be the griefer, as logs would show repeat attempts at ramming other players.

Sounds a bit exaggerated, but I also think these psychos do exist who just want to "dominate" someone while in real life suffering from being pushed around or just feeling inadequate. Maybe it's better to just let them in a game rather than running amok on the streets and killing real people. After all they are easy to avoid...

My latest experience though is that griefers seem to be on a retreat, maybe they've lost interest cause they realized they are nothing even in a game. Must be tremendously frustrating to them when just being 'filtered' away and no salt is flowing.

No more exaggerated than the supposed "loss" some are claiming because a target disappeared from their radar. I'm still trying to grasp why this is such a "problem" that Frontier needs to all of a sudden divert immediate development attention to.

So a target disappeared from your radar. Big deal. Move along, nothing to see here. Find another target. Hell I've had so many NPC's God-mode bug reset right in front of me I just ignore it when it happens anymore. I don't take to the forums with torches and pitchforks demanding acknowledgment for my supposed "loss".

No, I don't find it exaggerated it all... I think it's very much on point, here.

Last edited:
This is ironically coming from the person that struggles to maintain a constructive argument and ignores posts made by other users that counters their unbacked statements.
Further reinforcing my view that you’re aim here is to reduce the discussion to unpleasant pettiness. It really isn’t debatable that people combat log in order to avoid the cost of the alternative. However, I realise any effort to continually present you with this utterly obvious fact will lead to about 400 exchanges arguing about technicalities, insistence a tautology needs further empirical evidence and hostile remarks. This is exactly why this forum is notorious for being toxic.

OK, your entire premise is moronic and unsubstantiated.
And here we have it. The forum toxic avenger in a nutshell. Another keyboard warrior who types at someone with the kind of language they would not dare use in person. It’s not big, clever or impressive to use nasty language. You should apologise.

And here we have it. The forum toxic avenger in a nutshell. Another keyboard warrior who types at someone with the kind of language they would not dare use in person. It’s not big, clever or impressive to use nasty language. You should apologise.
Umm how do you know he wouldn't use that type of language to you in person? Not everyone who disagrees with a topic is automatically a keyboard warrior, they might just hold the same passion for the topic as you do, just at the other end of the scale!

Umm how do you know he wouldn't use that type of language to you in person? Not everyone who disagrees with a topic is automatically a keyboard warrior, they might just hold the same passion for the topic as you do, just at the other end of the scale!
Well I guess he could, but it wouldn’t be without consequences. Passion is fine. I’m just tired of the usual hostility a certain kind of person assumes from behind the safety of a keyboard. It’s rather cliche, if nothing else. More importantly, it results in these discussions being unhelpful and toxic. This forum has a bad reputation in certain quarters and it’s a minority causing it. They should be called out for the sake of constructive - even when passionate - conversation. This thread has become particularly unpleasant.

Do Xbox and PS4 not have online? What do timezones have to do with anything? Don't PP ticks already happen in UTC anyway? It happens at the same time whether you're in Japan or America. So I don't see timezones as being relevant. I don't see consoles as being any kind of counter point to OOPP.

Right now you've got one mode that's easily broken for everybody, console, timezone or no.

Yikes, so the point for having OOPP is so that people should not be able to "hide" in Solo/PG.... and then you deliberately fails to understand the problem that 3 DIFFERENT platforms causes... that share the same universe, but we cannot see each other... so you on XBox, I am on Playstation and we have a 3rd person on PC, we all login to open, and we all fly top the same system... We cannot see each other, we cannot wing up, do multicrew etc... so what makes this so much different than playing in Solo/PG?

Timezones... they are quite relevant for similar reasons... as it does not really matter, you logon 18:00 UTC, plays for 4 hours, you will never see me, if my schedule makes me to login 06:00 UTC and playing for 4 hours... so I could as easilly be playing in solo, and you would be none the wiser about it....

It also seems that you do not really understand UTC, hardly surprising....

Meh. Rather FDev worry about creating actual real content than looking at this thread. They clearly cannot balance the game - it's been five years and the game remains a mess when considering balance. And game balance, in the context of risk versus reward, is the root of the problem here.

Only one person really cares about CL and it's that single individual who needs a special type of pixel experience to support their own shortcomings. That single individual cannot seem to accept anything else other than own satisfaction of supposedly being superior to the other player. Honestly, who cares if people log off whenever they want to. Let them. They certainly have the right to - it's their game experience. Those who cannot accept this should perhaps look at themselves asking why they can't accept the fact that people can do what they want with an online game.

... And game balance, in the context of risk versus reward, is the root of the problem here.

Only one person really cares about CL and it's that single individual who needs a special type of pixel experience to support their own shortcomings. That single individual cannot seem to accept anything else other than own satisfaction of supposedly being superior to the other player. Honestly, who cares if people log off whenever they want to. Let them. They certainly have the right to - it's their game experience. Those who cannot accept this should perhaps look at themselves asking why they can't accept the fact that people can do what they want with an online game.

I think your second point is incorrect and in essence contradicts your first.

When griefers wing up the only counter is for white knight squads to form up and combat them.
How do they achieve this if the griefers can just clog?

A lot of people in this thread seem to be asserting that it is only griefers who would like to see an end to clogging.
In my experience flying and chatting with thousands of players, this is simply not the case.

Ill add that I do not support the OP as a viable method,
just that there are many respectable pilots who would also like to see something done about what is ostensibly a cheat.

I'm neither a black or white hat, I just see a loophole & think it should be closed. I think the benefit of instance flipping should be removed too, and was happy for board flipping to be removed and the loser of invasion wars to be ejected once again, although disappointed that was not retroactively fixed.

There are several reasonable suggestions in this thread, and there has been some interesting discussion too.

Playing to the audience with "and there we have it" statements and composing the rest of your posts by loading a thesaurus into a blunderbuss doesn't particularly help your argument. It's not big, clever or intelligent to over-egg your prose with redundant fluff, you're not a victorian novellist being paid by the word.

Yikes, so the point for having OOPP is so that people should not be able to "hide" in Solo/PG.... and then you deliberately fails to understand the problem that 3 DIFFERENT platforms causes... that share the same universe, but we cannot see each other... so you on XBox, I am on Playstation and we have a 3rd person on PC, we all login to open, and we all fly top the same system... We cannot see each other, we cannot wing up, do multicrew etc... so what makes this so much different than playing in Solo/PG?

Timezones... they are quite relevant for similar reasons... as it does not really matter, you logon 18:00 UTC, plays for 4 hours, you will never see me, if my schedule makes me to login 06:00 UTC and playing for 4 hours... so I could as easilly be playing in solo, and you would be none the wiser about it....

It also seems that you do not really understand UTC, hardly surprising....

Platform segregation or no, it's still better than what we have now.

I'm not gonna say anything else on the timezone thing. It seems silly to me.

Top Bottom