Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

To be fair, the ability to remove the scratches from the glass has been around for a long time, but the "knowledge was lost" in the depths of the forum. CMDR AD's original modifications cleaned up the window, but his title focuses on removing station haze (which is something I actually prefer to keep), which might be why the clear glass modifications were not as well known.
Ai, ok, still You digged it out for me, so multiple thx...

Ai, ok, still You digged it out for me, so multiple thx...
AFAIK I'm the first one to make ED's skybox look like the night sky I see IRL, so I'll happily wear that feather in my cap, LOL.

Though browsing through CMDR AD's original thread on 3DMigoto, it seems somebody has at least played with the skybox before. Funny how some of the best stuff gets lost in the forum cracks.

Last edited:
May have to give it a try when there's more dedicated time to play with the settings.
Expecting any issues with tomorrow's update/new version to come?

May have to give it a try when there's more dedicated time to play with the settings.
Expecting any issues with tomorrow's update/new version to come?
This won't interfere with the update, but the update may delete all the 3DMitogo files in the Elite Dangerous directory, making us reinstall those files again. So while backing up your key bindings, also back up your d3dx.ini file.

This won't interfere with the update, but the update may delete all the 3DMitogo files in the Elite Dangerous directory, making us reinstall those files again. So while backing up your key bindings, also back up your d3dx.ini file.

Will give it a try in the next few weeks.
Any alterations to supercruise or jumps? Don't recall seeing either in the thread.

Will give it a try in the next few weeks.
Any alterations to supercruise or jumps? Don't recall seeing either in the thread.
The Supercruise "speed lines" are turned off. The biggest change to SC is that the canopy HUD is turned off by default, which means no more circles and labels over planets, hotspots, RES, etc. This is optional, so you can turn it back on again if you need it. I personally prefer canopy HUD turned off, as it makes it feel like I'm looking out the window rather than at a computer screen. It's particularly refreshing in a "busy" system like SOL. There's nothing you can't do with instruments that you originally did using the canopy HUD.

Oh, speaking of busy, you'll no longer see ships flying around in SC unless you are right on top of them. No more blinding "comets" at a distance.

The Supercruise "speed lines" are turned off. The biggest change to SC is that the canopy HUD is turned off by default, which means no more circles and labels over planets, hotspots, RES, etc. This is optional, so you can turn it back on again if you need it. I personally prefer canopy HUD turned off, as it makes it feel like I'm looking out the window rather than at a computer screen. It's particularly refreshing in a "busy" system like SOL. There's nothing you can't do with instruments that you originally did using the canopy HUD.

Oh, speaking of busy, you'll no longer see ships flying around in SC unless you are right on top of them. No more blinding "comets" at a distance.
Top stuff. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Cool. I've been using the original for ages and it's great to be able to tweak things like camera dirt and space dust. You've gone farther and figure out some new things. I'm impressed :)

Cool. I've been using the original for ages and it's great to be able to tweak things like camera dirt and space dust. You've gone farther and figure out some new things. I'm impressed :)
It seems there was a bit of attention on the 3DMigoto app around this time last year, thanks to CMDR AD's dust removal mods. I'm curious, did anyone figure out how to toggle either individual filters (ShaderOverriveds) or 3DMigoto via keybinds? Apparently the app provides a keybind feature, but the documentation is incomplete and very confusing. This would be perfect for turning off cockpit lights, something I'd love to do in-game rather than outside by editing an .ini file. I can finally turn off those terrible flashing red proximity lights while mining!

It seems there was a bit of attention on the 3DMigoto app around this time last year, thanks to CMDR AD's dust removal mods. I'm curious, did anyone figure out how to toggle either individual filters (ShaderOverriveds) or 3DMigoto via keybinds? Apparently the app provides a keybind feature, but the documentation is incomplete and very confusing. This would be perfect for turning off cockpit lights, something I'd love to do in-game rather than outside by editing an .ini file. I can finally turn off those terrible flashing red proximity lights while mining!
I haven't figured it out either, but I kinda remember someone in the original thread saying they had. I could be wrong. But it should be possible, yeah.

Hey Old Duck
Have a lookie here.
Apps made in 3DMigoto for 3D Vision, which is why 3DMigoto exists in the first place, are stored there.
Many have toggle-able features e.g. if you look for Witcher3, that has a toggle for various shaders. Maybe reverse engineer that?

Hey Old Duck
Have a lookie here.
Many have toggle-able features e.g. if you look for Witcher3, that has a toggle for various shaders. Maybe reverse engineer that?
If you are able to give me a link to the .ini file for Witcher 3, that would be very helpful, if you have the time. In the meantime I'm trying a couple things based on these very spare comment-based docs in the default ini.

NEVERMIND - I found it. Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can make sense of it now.

Last edited:
It IS possible, however, to turn off the scratches while maintaining the HUD. If you are interested in this option, let me know and I can provide you the lines of code to add to the .ini file.

I would indeed be very interested in that possibility! :)

I’d be very grateful for the code to do that, please!

Simplystyc

Banned
This is kinda neat, although I would want to retain my external hud elements because of combat. Although, it would make for a interesting hitscan challenge.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
First off, I need to give credit to CMDR AD for his initial work in this field, as detailed in his original thread located here. He is the giant whose shoulders I stand upon. Continuing his work, I have further modded Elite Dangerous to provide the following changes:
  • BLACK Space - That's right, space is now BLACK. The clouds of interstellar dust have been removed. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how realistic you want space to mirror the night sky you see IRL, this also removes the galactic core and the few distant galaxies normally visible. All stars, however, are clearly visible. If you normally operate in the Bubble, you may appreciate the black and realistic night sky over the default. If you're an explorer, you may wish to disable this particular option. See the thread below for screenshots (in particular post #16).
  • BLACK Shadows - A perfect complement to the black sky is black shadows. This modification removes ambient light from space, making the dark side of objects (stations, outposts, ships, landable planets) black as night. This is more realistic to how shadows look in the empty void of space when there are no sources of reflected light like planetshine. Don't worry, it looks better than I make it sound. Think of is as HDR Mode. Again this assumes you're operating in the Bubble, as closer to the core you would expect ambient light from the high density of stars. This feature is can be turned on and off separately from black skies.
  • No External HUD Elements - All circles and labels around planets and ships are disabled, making it feel like you're looking outside a simple glass window. I find this much more immersive, but it also adds a challenge as you'll need to use your cockpit HUD (radar, compass, etc) to navigate. It will also make combat much more challenging without the targeting reticles. Not for the faint of heart, but for those desiring an immersive world outside your spaceship along with the challenge of IFR flight, this mod is for you! Also disabled is the blue "TRON" glow around mapped planets along with the bright, crazy "comet trails" for ships in Supercruise.
  • Space Snow Removed - The "snow" in space and the blizzards over planets have been removed. However I have retained the "flying warp stars" effect in Supercruise.
  • Cockpit Smoke Removed - No more fires in the cockpit when your ship is only at 80% heat. This also removes smoke in certain places inside the stations, but not others. For example, humidity still can be seen coming from overhead vents, but the mailslot is no longer boiling with smoke.
  • Sun Shimmer Removed - The shimmer along the circumference of the sun has been removed, which IMO makes the sun feel larger, at least in VR. YMMV.
  • Cleaner HUD - Normally our instrument HUD and side-panels have a "drop shadow" behind them, which this mod removes. The result is a cleaner look that doesn't block your view, but it may be harder to read the side panels in certain bright locations. I've also removed those lines that do nothing but clutter the view.
The way this mod works is that it intercepts shader calls to Windows graphics subsystem (or something like that), allowing certain pixel shaders to be turned off. It does not replace or change any of ED's files, rather it adds some new files which ED will use when present. AFAIK this is in accordance with Frontier's EULA, as it's not changing the game in any way, nor does it allow or promote cheating in any way that I can imagine. If anything, it makes the game HARDER to play, but in a way us realism nuts will enjoy.

The program you need is called 3Dmigoto. Click the name to download the file. Extract the file and then copy the CONTENTS of the x64 directory to your elite-dangerous-64 directory (in my case this is found at D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64). Next you need to download the d3dx.txt I've attached to this post, rename it to d3dx.ini, and save it to the elite-dangerous-64 directory, replacing the one that comes with 3Dmigoto. That should do the trick! To disable any particular modification, just insert a semicolon ( ; ) in front of the 3 lines of code for that specific mod, thus commenting it out and turning it off.

DISCLAIMER - Whatever you do, you do of your own accord. If your computer catches fire and your Arx disappear and Stigbob knocks on your door demanding cookies, I am not responsible! Blame TJ, or better yet, don't blame anyone. AFAIK there is no risk, but a prudent person would research all of this before installing "alien" software on his/her computer.

NOTE - If you want things like haze in stations removed, see CMDR AD's original mod as linked above. You can copy-n-paste settings from his .ini file to mine to remove haze, "warp stars", etc.

* UPDATE - I just realized that I'm not seeing nebula no matter what I do with this mod, so I may have inadvertently shut them off via the game's graphics settings / config files when I was fooling around. I'm very interested to learn if nebula remain for you using this mod.

While I personally don't find any of these useful, KUDOS! for modding Elite! :)

No idea if its implemented in a shader, but if you could also nuke the volumetric fog effects in asteroid rings....
can someone confirm? or add option for that? It would be great! I hate that milk spilled everywhere.

Also threads like this must have own subforum "mods" or something like that. ;)

Last edited:

Attachments

• Clean Rings.jpg
    Clean Rings.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 640
Is there a performance hit or boost using this? I have an ultra powerful GT 1030 but the GFX options don't allow fine grained changes (I hate the waggly jelly comets too).

Top Bottom