Newcomer / Intro Those Mauve Adders keep biting me in the...

Greetings everyone,

first off, I started playing ED about 5 days back or so, and gotta say, damn I'm hooked!
Currently working on farming enough credits in my AspX to outffit a Python. Just one or two successful mining runs, and I should be there.
However, while on the whole the game is very robust and generally makes sure crashes or discos don't put you at risk, I noticed that there's an exception to that:

When you first enter a mining zone (i.e. planetary ring system), there often are would-be pirates that scan you. Okay, they are real dumb and scan you before you even had the chance to mine anything, then they get disappointed at your empty cargo hold and exit stage left. So far, so good.
However, I suffer from frequent Mauve Adder disconnects -- I don't know if my ISP is to blame or my in-house hardware (I run a PowerLAN because my landlord wouldn't be happy about me drilling a hole through the wall to get a LAN cable to the router). And I had to realize that every time you relog after a d/c, the NPCs reappear and redo their routine. Yesterday I had to abort my mining shift with my hold only 70% full, and still had to evade an interdiction.

So the problem for me is, of course, being a pretty new player, my ship can only mine and doesn't have the capacity to also fit it for defense. Defense that I wouldn't even need if I didn't get discoed.

Just putting this out there. Maybe a dev sees it and finds it in their heart to put it on the list to fix this.
Actually, what I would really prefer would be if ED simply wouldn't require an inet connection during Solo play. To me that is the main point of Solo play. But the next best thing would be not to respawn NPCs after a Mauve Adder, I guess.

I've had disconnect errors; Scarlet Krait, and Black Adder while trying my hand at mining, really bloody annoying.

I had the same problem as you, when I log back in, pirates spawn and scan you, rip my ship.

Whenever and however you arrive in a ring there is a high probability of the ships that turning up being pirates who lust after almost anything other than limpets in your hold, standard advice is if you do log in to a ring carrying cargo leave as fast as your ship can go.

Pirates usually ask for a donation, and give you 15 seconds to comply. If I'm feeling lazy I just give the the 1-2T they demand and they then happily leave me alone. (This usually happens to me when I've started mining without waiting for the pirates to scan, so I don't have much onboard. Not sure if they'll ask for 200T if you've been busy :) )

I love my Python. The disconnects happen to us all, occasionally (afaik). Unless pirates are well-equipped, they don't live past the encounter - unless. as @Factabulous puts it, I'm feeling lazy. I don't feel the need to have every last inch of cargo space, rather a little "other" capability in lieu of that makes for some fun (for me) and some security.
That said, it is certainly easiest when you're early-on and thus only carrying limpets.

Back to topic; if you search for these discon codes on the forum, I'm confident that you'll find more than you want to read, if you have not already.

So, now I have my Python, too, but the first trip to the rings was a bit of a disaster.
Initial arrival: just some peaceful miners there, no trouble.
1st Mauve Adder: a pirate in an Eagle who asked for 2t of cargo. I was inclinced to just give it to him, but then I thought, what insolence! and shot him down instead. Easy peasy.
2nd M.A.: this time an ImpCourier spawns, demanding 8 tons. I fight him, I eventually win, but my shields are down and my hull is scratched. And then...
3rd M.A.!!! now with an EXPERT ImpCourier who wants 13 tons, and doesn't even wait for my reaction before shredding me with 2 Beam Lasers. Mind you my shields are still down from the previous fight. I can't even get him in my sights, he turns so fast. Eventually, when I'm down below 50% Hull, I just dump the cargo, and flee before I get another MA. -.-

So these bloody discos cost me 13t of actual and some 130t of potential cargo. At that rate I might have just stuck to my Asp.

FTR, my Python is decked out as well as possible without Engineering.

So, I think i can answer Factabulous' questions: they ask for however much they can fit in their cargo hold.

That's a very active/eventful start with your Python! I have virtually zero engineering on my Python (just grade-1 stuff from dabbling). The Python will take some getting used to because it is quite noticeably less maneuverable than, for example, a Cobra Mk-III. I had that ship (loved it, btw) before my Python and it was quite a transition. (Scooping is abysmal on the Python in comparison!)
I have learned some maneuvering tactics to get more on-target-in-front-of-my-ship-dammit time with the Python. That was also a learning curve, especially with figure-skaters such as Eagles and the like. I didn't "get into it" with NPCs right right after getting the Python unless they were obvious wimps (harmless, etc). I practiced quite a bit in RES (low) or RES sites with no cargo onboard.
I know that if I'm interdicted while cruising in a high-security system, help shows up almost instantly. I wonder if the same is true for mining in high-security systems. That could be helpful. I will try that to see what happens. Come to think of it, I was mining in Deciat (high-security system) but didn't get any "visitors" at all when I began. If I remember right, I think there were 3 anaconda security ships there when I dropped in (don't know how that coincidence happens but OK). They left after 60 seconds or so.
I can tell you that I've never been interdicted so many times while DSS-ing as I was while scanning the rings at Deciat-7. Crazy. I evaded those because I wanted to get on with mining.

I've never experienced so many mauve adders in a row. That would probably make me give away some cargo too. I'm impressed that you were able to get out of there without losing your ship - good work! I don't have experience in an Asp although I will try that some time (an explorer, not a scout is my plan).

On the Python mining rig where you'd like to be able to defend via combat, I would suggest using at least 1 if not 2 of the utility slots for shield boosters and equipping the mil-grade alloy. I know there's lots of room for debate about build but it's just being realistic about what you'd like to be able to subject the ship to and perhaps giving up a tad of cargo space to accommodate. Practice and your skill level should also drive your ship's build (I think that just makes sense) - oh and not having one hand tied behind your back with those successive MAs! I don't profess to be an expert combat player - far from it - but I like to think that I can pick my NPC battles wisely, including recognizing when it's time to scoot, and I don't know where you are in terms of skill, of course. Forgive me if I'm offering advice that's obvious to you.

In your OP you mentioned not being able to make holes to get a wired connection to your router. How about a quick experiment with a long cat5 patch cord to try? If that's possible, you may learn quite a lot. To some extent, you're going to have to get that under control. If there's anything else I can try to help with, feel free to post.

Alright, my second attempt with the Python yesterday was a lot more successful. Managed to fill up my hold with Painite and return to station safe and sound, for about 150 Mil profit. :giggle: Though it's a bit "questionable" if it's good for a game if the biggest chunk of suspense comes from hoping you don't get bitten by a bug. :6

FWIW, the Mauve Adders can't really be internet disconnects on my end. In the last month I played about 1000 battles in World of Tanks and didn't have a single disconnect (and in a PVP shooter, you'd notice that real quick). So it must be ED's fault. I'm still gonna try using a cat5 cable just to make sure, luckily I still have one from my old place and it's long enough.

So anyhoo, overall I'm quite happy with the game. My next question revolves around how to outfit a new ship, but I'm gonna make a new thread for that. ^^

Excellent mining run. That's good to hear. Also an interesting observation about WoT. I haven't really checked, but I guess I expected that the amount of network traffic to play isn't that much. I'll look around just to satisfy myself. I'll also look at some of the threads about these different discon-codes.

I made an interesting observation too. I visited two systems Cinnecenino & BD-17 1955 to do some mining.
Cennicenino is a medium-security system that was very close to where I was, so I decided to give it a try (previous mining sessions were all in low-security systems as it turns out). I was in Open play.
I dropped in, checked out the icy rings with DSS and dropped in on a hot-spot. Bang - two security vessels there when I arrived. They eventually scanned me and eventually left. Nothing else. I mined...

BD-17 1955 is a high-security system. Neither icy-ringed body (#7's A-ring or #8's ring) had a hot-spot show up in the DSS. I dropped in on #8's ring because it was a bit of a haul out there and I didn't want to have gone out there for nothing. Again, I was in Open play.
Ok, drop in. Bang - ooh one ship! The game is afoot! Turned out to be an NPC miner marked as clean. :( I waited; no pirates visited here either. Incidentally, even though it wasn't marked as a hot-spot, I intentionally visited a high-security system with "pristine" reserves. The mining was good; I easily found rich asteroids.

This is interesting because everyone says they get visited when they begin a mining session. I've always been visited when I drop in on RES sites for combat practice. Was I lucky, was it space-karma? Mostly for me I just wanted to see what would happen in a mining session as far as help showing up in the high-security system. Oh well, another time, another experiment.

I'd like to hear what happens to your situation when you use the wired connection.

Happy travels...

Excellent mining run. That's good to hear. Also an interesting observation about WoT. I haven't really checked, but I guess I expected that the amount of network traffic to play isn't that much. I'll look around just to satisfy myself. I'll also look at some of the threads about these different discon-codes.

I made an interesting observation too. I visited two systems Cinnecenino & BD-17 1955 to do some mining.
Cennicenino is a medium-security system that was very close to where I was, so I decided to give it a try (previous mining sessions were all in low-security systems as it turns out). I was in Open play.
I dropped in, checked out the icy rings with DSS and dropped in on a hot-spot. Bang - two security vessels there when I arrived. They eventually scanned me and eventually left. Nothing else. I mined...

BD-17 1955 is a high-security system. Neither icy-ringed body (#7's A-ring or #8's ring) had a hot-spot show up in the DSS. I dropped in on #8's ring because it was a bit of a haul out there and I didn't want to have gone out there for nothing. Again, I was in Open play.
Ok, drop in. Bang - ooh one ship! The game is afoot! Turned out to be an NPC miner marked as clean. :( I waited; no pirates visited here either. Incidentally, even though it wasn't marked as a hot-spot, I intentionally visited a high-security system with "pristine" reserves. The mining was good; I easily found rich asteroids.

This is interesting because everyone says they get visited when they begin a mining session. I've always been visited when I drop in on RES sites for combat practice. Was I lucky, was it space-karma? Mostly for me I just wanted to see what would happen in a mining session as far as help showing up in the high-security system. Oh well, another time, another experiment.

I'd like to hear what happens to your situation when you use the wired connection.

Happy travels...
We almost always get visited, but sometimes it’s just another miner, sometimes it’s the security but mostly it is just a wing of pirates. Very occasionally I have had all three.

Yes, I think it's mostly random who shows up, influenced by the security level of the system. However, I wonder how far outside the Bubble the pirates are hedging their bets? It seems a bit implausible that pirates would just sit and wait there at a place where it could be years or decades until a miner gets there. It's like climbing on one random tree somewhere in the most remote Russian forests and waiting for some wanderer to walk exactly under it so you could drop on them and steal their picnic.

Well, sorry for the rambling, I get carried away a bit.

FWIW, I've tried playing with the cat5 cable and haven't had a M.A. in several hours of play -- but then, that also was the case yesterday when I was flying in Wing with some buddies.

My plan now is to do one mining run per day (whenever I can), until I gain Elite Trader rank. At 150 Mil a pop and with what I've done so far, about 5 more runs should do it. Today I've mostly been fooling around with my new Chieftain, and got the first couple of engineering upgrades. ^^ Excellent ship.

I don't know what WoT use, but Elite: Dangerous use P2P connections. I'm not a network guy, but it may be that P2P is more sensitive to brief interuptions in your connection. I've played for a few hundred hours on a LAN connection and not had a single DC yet, except that one time when my ISP went poof for 8 hours. My wife used to play other things and stream over the Wi-fi and have constant issues with DC and connection issues, but once I got her a LAN cable to plug in those issues have stopped too

just avoid WiFi, it works for twitter or yourtube but for (close to) real time gaming it is just the worst connection to pick, not even talking about P2P here

I've never been a great fan of power LANs.
If it's only a thin partition wall made of plaster board then you might be better off on wi-fi.

The alternative to running a LAN cable through the wall would be to move the router and run a phone extension wire outside from window to window.
You can usually do this without drilling holes.
Not so neat and high tech - but it works.

Just had a hard crash to desktop in the middle of painite mining. And sure enough, when I relogged, another pirate spawned. But this time I tried something new, and you might be interested in this:
Immediately upon "new contact", I jettisoned all my valuable cargo. (Jettison, not Abandon). All my limpets were gone after the crash, otherwise I'd have put Painite on Ignore for the time being. And I sat still at speed 0 the whole time.
So then the pirate approaches, scans, and finds - nothing. He even stopped near my vessel and bumped into some of the canisters. Then he accelerated and sped away. So I launched some collectors and picked everything up again. All there.

So, this seems to be a useful recipe when you have to relog during mining. Pirates are too stupid to pick up canisters that float around before they make their scan. xD

So, this seems to be a useful recipe when you have to relog during mining. Pirates are too stupid to pick up canisters that float around before they make their scan. xD

Two things:

When teabagging I restrict the number of cannisters I have in space at one time as often a NPC will come along and scoop some up - usually a powerpants enforcer type - so it is surprising that pirate scum NPC don't do this. - Good find.

Second point - remember that those dropped cans have a decaying life so if you have dumped a lot, maybe some will expire before you have them all collected. I don't know how long the life is so no idea how many cans will be too many.

Third thing: there can only be X canisters in an instance. Used to be around 20, Hutton truckers have recently reported seeing 40.

Quite right. I had forgotten about that - interesting if it is now 40.

For a laugh (in the name of science) I just had a try. I dumped a load of stuff in an empty instance - got to 70 cans of jobbie floating in space then dropped the remaining 60 cans at which point a load blew up - left me with 101 cannisters floating quite happily awaiting their life countdown. Such fun! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom