ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch Notes

I have no idea why Elite is bottlenecking on data loads when the bandwidth monitor lists really small upload and download amounts, but I know that something is wrong there because streaming to discord causes desync/lag, and sometimes so does streaming music. I'm on a fiber optic gigabit connection so I don't think I should be bottlenecking on my end, but it sure acts like it is.

Ok, so you have an 8 lane highway from your house to your ISP. Your ISP has a tollbooth where there is only a single gate for trucks, behind which there is a spaghetti junction of gleaming new warehouses, LA-style 1970s inner city highways and 19th century-vintage turnpikes, leading via single lane highways to the houses of other people you play with. All the signposts to the other people are rotated backwards and written in Portuguese, so the drivers going there have to stop to read them. The ISP has small print that only one ED or Discord vehicle per hour can come up the road from your house, and 7 of the lanes down to your house are reserved for Amazon delivery trucks from the gleaming warehouses.

That's traffic shaping, network address translation, internetworking and edge based content delivery networks for you in a nutshell. It's easier to sell as 'fiber gigabit connection' though.

I read all the posts about this Oodle networking thing, but to a ordinary player (Me), what will it improve in my Elite Game Play? I am unfortunate to be on the end of a very old BT (Phone line company in UK) line that will only give me 15 down and 2 up, so what will oddle do for me please?

Thanks

I'm sure networkers will be able to give you a better answer, but from what I understand people on poor lines should be the ones who benefit the most as you have less bandwidth to start with.

It should help (faster, smoother gameplay) with seeing other players, system generation, coming in and out of SC, opening trade menus, buying and selling...basically everything in the game that requires networking (everything).

So with regards to the BGS changes. Please can you (FDEV) povide details of how much testing was done with these. The Beat was too short to do any BGS testing (other than micky mouse testing) so I am interested in how much 'REAL' testing has been done before you roll out these significant changes.

I am always surprised by how little information you provide about BGS. Other games producer (for example Riot) provide significant details of the mechanics of the game, which allows us to test things properly - plus they run a nearly continuous Beta. You provide next to no information about the details which means I anticipate hundreds of bugs which you keep hidden wih statements as 'Works as expected'. When will you learn that releasing untested product is a guarenteed way to lose fans.

Time to remote log-in to my home PC and start the update process!

-- edit --

Took about 3 minutes and 30 seconds to apply the patch. Nice!

Last edited:
1579003303514.png

Update is live on steam.

So with regards to the BGS changes. Please can you (FDEV) povide details of how much testing was done with these. The Beat was too short to do any BGS testing (other than micky mouse testing) so I am interested in how much 'REAL' testing has been done before you roll out these significant changes.

I am always surprised by how little information you provide about BGS. Other games producer (for example Riot) provide significant details of the mechanics of the game, which allows us to test things properly - plus they run a nearly continuous Beta. You provide next to no information about the details which means I anticipate hundreds of bugs which you keep hidden wih statements as 'Works as expected'. When will you learn that releasing untested product is a guarenteed way to lose fans.

Well they do give us an idea about how it works and how they rebalanced it in 3.3 to allow multiple states per faction :
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0zBtQcdHvs

Also, thinking they don't test anything only cause there are still bugs in releases is just ignorance. Elite Dangerous is one of the most optimized and stable games out there, and I don't really get why it's bashed so hard while Bethesda or Ubisoft games get it easy with their way buggier and unstable games.

Sure, there are still some really annoying bugs in ED and some have been there for a while, but that doesn't mean they don't test anything. No piece of software releases bug-free. None, nada, zero. So you have to pick your fights if you don't have the resources to fix everything. Which the team does. That's all there is to it.

Top Bottom