On a more serious note: please don't gank brand new players coming out of the station

So the other day I was talking to a buddy that I recently got into the game, and we were discussing moving from private to Open. He told me that the reason he's avoided going into open, and has been playing in just solo and private group, is because the very first thing that happened to him when he left the beginning station was to get blown up by another player. Popped almost instantly, without even a chance to really understand what was happening to him. That was his introduction to ED, and was almost the last thing he did in the game. If not for the fact that I was available to explain to him that the save he makes in solo and private could also be used in Open, so he could swap to those modes, he might not have continued playing at all.

I know this is going to fall on deaf ears for those who actually do this sort of thing, but y'all... games like this are pretty niche, and the community that builds within it is the core of what keeps it going. New players bring new opportunities for the rest of us, new income for the game and generally help to keep ED alive for years to come. And, in general, the sort of player who would be attracted to this sort of game may not be the type of player who enjoys getting PKed within the first 5 minutes of starting out. At least wait until they've learned how to turn their ship properly! Let them build some frame of reference that the game is actually fun, and that the misery you're inflicting upon them isn't what the game is all about. This isn't Dark Souls, space edition!

So, please: if you see a Novice pilot in a Sidewinder leaving a station, at worst leave them alone and at best offer them some help if they want it. But please don't try to run off new players or "teach them" some twisted lesson in what it's like to play this game with you, with the expectation that if they don't like it they can leave. Because that's exactly what they will do, and that sucks for all of us.

Simplystyc

Banned
If your friend was in the starter systems the party who attacked him would be kicked out of the starter systems for attacking another player. If he started in Eravate or LHS 3447 area, then welcome to open. Ganking has been and is rampant and will not cease any time soon regardless of what people ask or say.

So the other day I was talking to a buddy that I recently got into the game, and we were discussing moving from private to Open. He told me that the reason he's avoided going into open, and has been playing in just solo and private group, is because the very first thing that happened to him when he left the beginning station was to get blown up by another player. Popped almost instantly, without even a chance to really understand what was happening to him. That was his introduction to ED, and was almost the last thing he did in the game. If not for the fact that I was available to explain to him that the save he makes in solo and private could also be used in Open, so he could swap to those modes, he might not have continued playing at all.

I know this is going to fall on deaf ears for those who actually do this sort of thing, but y'all... games like this are pretty niche, and the community that builds within it is the core of what keeps it going. New players bring new opportunities for the rest of us, new income for the game and generally help to keep ED alive for years to come. And, in general, the sort of player who would be attracted to this sort of game may not be the type of player who enjoys getting PKed within the first 5 minutes of starting out. At least wait until they've learned how to turn their ship properly! Let them build some frame of reference that the game is actually fun, and that the misery you're inflicting upon them isn't what the game is all about. This isn't Dark Souls, space edition!

So, please: if you see a Novice pilot in a Sidewinder leaving a station, at worst leave them alone and at best offer them some help if they want it. But please don't try to run off new players or "teach them" some twisted lesson in what it's like to play this game with you, with the expectation that if they don't like it they can leave. Because that's exactly what they will do, and that sucks for all of us.
Your speaking to the Choir.

This is a decent attempt at conveying this often made appeal. The truth is, threads like this feed the flame. There is nothing like being able to point to a thread and tell your Squad-mates; "Hey, that was me." for the types that pursue ganking.

The single best way to deal with an issue like this, leave open to them, and pursue your interests in a Private Group. Never look back. I've been playing since release, in open and PG. I prefer a PG. To me, the Pilots Federation would never allow Commanders to act that as gankers. The Mobius PvE private group fits my vision of how things would be like in space, in the future.

The people who do this do not care.

But I care!

Because that's exactly what they will do, and that sucks for all of us.

be assured that if we had a way to control instancing (and with a little help from frontier against cheating) this could be dealt with. note that i didn't even mention combat log, given the former conditions it could even work with that. so your appeal could actually find a very real and tangible response.

but, as it stands, all modes were created equal. welcome to the hive. expectations may need adjustment.

nb: i truly appreciate and sympathize with your concern but you're asking the wrong audience 🤪

This is a decent attempt at conveying this often made appeal. The truth is, threads like this feed the flame. There is nothing like being able to point to a thread and tell your Squad-mates; "Hey, that was me." for the types that pursue ganking.

The single best way to deal with an issue like this, leave open to them, and pursue your interests in a Private Group. Never look back. I've been playing since release, in open and PG. I prefer a PG. To me, the Pilots Federation would never allow Commanders to act that as gankers. The Mobius PvE private group fits my vision of how things would be like in space, in the future.

So I've only ever used PGs in the context of a handful of friends or family. Are these PGs, like this Mobius PvE, pretty sizeable groups of people?

To OP imo I would tell your friend about the block option too.
I can only speak for myself but it happened to me as a rookie and it wasn't a big deal tbh, I used it for motivation.

I use Mobius at times too which isn't nearly as populated (at least US) instead of solo, but playing in open carries some "dangerous" aspects and I accept that.

So I've only ever used PGs in the context of a handful of friends or family. Are these PGs, like this Mobius PvE, pretty sizeable groups of people?

They are sizeable, but not necessarily with active Cmdrs. I'd suggest using PG to get away from the starter regions, away from hotspots, and then play in Open. Space is big, and the gankers tend to haunt a limited number of systems.

I cleared my save a few days ago and decided to go into open, I was operating in the near by sectors to starter systems. Just got a Cobra and got jumped by Cmdr in a corvette!!! Managed to win the interdiction but I would expect a noobie would probably have lost and died pretty quickly. You got to hate those seal clubbing losers.

I joined Mobius shortly after starting this game three years ago. I saw other commanders quite frequently, especially at Jameson where I keep my ships. Of late though the interactions have dropped off considerably. There could be many reasons for this, so I'm not going to speculate.

But every now and then, I run into a open square. The other day I almost ran over CMDR Mobius himself as he was exiting Jameson. I saw a ship slowly exiting the mail slot while I'm coming in at full speed. Then I glanced down at my radar and noticed the open square and slammed on the brakes to let him out. We exchanged greetings and went on our own ways. :)

Last edited:
The in-game consequences for these actions still aren't severe enough. If you're ganking in high sec areas, the bounty and NPC response should be through the roof. I believe the tools for regulating this behavior are in the game, but need to be adjusted to more dramatic levels.

Long ago I suggested that the offenders get one-shotted and insta-killed by a super cop. The poor little seal clubbers started complaining about how that wouldn't be fair... :rolleyes:

I agree. Have some dignity.

First thing they need to know is that they should not play in Open. They need to learn it before they invest too much in bigger ships, so a sidewinder gank is optimal here. Better even do it in permit locked starter systems if you somehow manage to sneak in some proper hardware there. The earlier they get the lesson, the smaller is the damage.

Top Bottom