[Video] January update, was this what we ASKED?! & Fleet carrier delay...

... and the only thing missing from the thread is any further comment from the OP... How odd :ROFLMAO:
Rat, mate come on the OP deserves the ultimate recognition, kudos on kudos, awards from all. After all, he successfully downloaded the patch, played enough of the game to confirm all his fears, then probably reply the game in bits so he has good visuals, then script what he was going to rant about, then edit the rant and the visuals so they don't look like an incoherent mess, then package it up nice and neat and post the resulting video on here and YouTube (and probably reddit, and every other money making thing going) so we can all bask in his wisdom.

Yeah, no way did he have the majority of the clip done prior to the release of the update, that would be inferring he was just after clicks and his now legendary whinge.

Rat, mate come on the OP deserves the ultimate recognition, kudos on kudos, awards from all. After all, he successfully downloaded the patch, played enough of the game to confirm all his fears, then probably reply the game in bits so he has good visuals, then script what he was going to rant about, then edit the rant and the visuals so they don't look like an incoherent mess, then package it up nice and neat and post the resulting video on here and YouTube (and probably reddit, and every other money making thing going) so we can all bask in his wisdom.

Yeah, no way did he have the majority of the clip done prior to the release of the update, that would be inferring he was just after clicks and his now legendary whinge.
I guess you are right... I just wish I could play the new patched software, record the interesting bits and then narrate it all in less than 100 minutes from the patch release, doesn't that just show how amazing folk can be? It take me hours to edit video...

Let the eternal whining commence...
The sad fact is this thread even fails that. Instead of people whinging on how the latest update is responsible for climate change, is the reason they didn't get that high paying job, that the end of the world as we know it is certainly upon us, this thread is whinging about who is to blame. Hell it could have been posted a week ago, and would have been as relevant as it is now.

The thing I find highly amusing is for all the rhetoric, all the chest thumping and finger pointing, it seems this update isn't as bad as some may think it is. Can't say for sure, haven't played the game since the update (I refuse to play until I have had at least two cups of coffee in the morning :D). But going by the threads here in DD land, there is this one, which isn't really about the patch, more who is to blame for everything and it wasn't our fault; one thread on the new POI/FSS mechanic that seems to be about 50/50 in the doom scale and one fairly innocuous thread about the new BGS states.

Addendum: missed a thread where someone is complaining that the new market mechanics for high end commodities is too volatile - in other words they didn't get top price for the VO's or something. Yet again, others are saying that the market is now working as it should have been from the start.

So either a lot haven't played the new update and are wise enough not to make false and misleading accusations without any basis or FD actually did what they said they would do in the patch notes.

If it is the latter I bet there are some here that are seething with rage that they don't have anything real to be upset about ;)

Last edited:
Why would he? There's nothing to gain for OP if you react to him here. Making sure there's a big discussion on his youtube channel is a different story though...

fun fact: not until you said this did i (at least a quick glance) check the yt comments ... not bad!

i actually like yamiks. he doesn't influence me, since i don't give a crap about game opinions or all this social media crap to begin with, but also i don't have to agree with him the least to like his style. for me it's just a dude putting up a show, and he has some very good punches, both visually and verbally. some of them connect with long standing issues around this game. well, that's just so. i miss the squeaky duck sound, though. i spell doom!

As it is, the 2020/2021 Jesus patch is being built up by a lot of people to be a lot of things it cannot possibly be.

1000 devs have been working behind the scenes sinse the origninal carrier announcement. Carriers, legs, atmosphere and base building. Its make or break time!

If they told us now exactly what was supposed to be coming by the end of this year, you know what the only difference would be right? Twelve months of endless whining instead of maybe three.

ideally there would be nothing wrong in setting a roadmap and being honest about it. works for other developers. frontier has always been on the search of the perfect balance between secrecy and hype like it was a quintessential formula. my take is that if they concentrated more on the game and less on how to manipulate audiences and impact the market and optimize launches (which they invariably flop anyway) they ... would actually have a roadmap to show.

it's been improvisation and push forward since planetary landings. ed is just a small cog in a bigger wheel.

Deleted member 38366

D
IMHO :
The Bugfixes were really in order after the Sep 2019 "problem". It just went beyond what was reasonable and acceptable - thus truly deserved some key attention.
(even DB himself realized that things weren't going well in regard to Bugs and QA fighting them)

On Fleet Carriers :
It is my suspicion that the last major Content Update before the New Era (which I believe we can all agree draws ALOT of resources from FDev) by original concepts might have fallen short.
Just a Cockpit- and Bridge-less Object carrying your Fleet that Players could have ordered to move to a new Position off the Galaxy Map.

After seeing what folks expected Carrier Ops to be, IMHO FDev realized they needed to flesh things out and re-evaluate their original concept of Squadron and the later Fleet Carriers.
More work to do, expanding upon the existing concept.

I could easily be wrong of course, but that's how things feel like to me.

PS.
Now with the Jan 2020 Update?
I'm off exploring ;)

Really like the new FSS, so best to put it to good use and finish off some of the few remaining missing Codex Volcanism entries I think I can do in the Galaxy :)

(not needing it right now - but NPC Crew recovery option is also a big one with me.... nice ! )

Last edited by a moderator:
fun fact: not until you said this did i (at least a quick glance) check the yt comments ... not bad!

i actually like yamiks. he doesn't influence me, since i don't give a crap about game opinions or all this social media crap to begin with, but also i don't have to agree with him the least to like his style. for me it's just a dude putting up a show, and he has some very good punches, both visually and verbally. some of them connect with long standing issues around this game. well, that's just so. i miss the squeaky duck sound, though. i spell doom!

Even more fun fact: I haven't even checked the comments at all. I just figured.

And I used to like his videos as well. His style is definitely funny sometimes (albeit a style that can also get a bit tiresome in the long term)
But I liked him when he was actually pointing out glaring bugs or faults with the game. The way he presented those gained him a lot of subscribers I recon, and hell, he deserved them.
But as you see with a lot of Youtubers, they then feel compelled (or are financially compelled) to keep up the same schtick. Even though there's not really that much to whine or talk about. It becomes a format. And starts to just feel kind of.. hollow, I guess.
I wish him all the success, but I can't really take his video's seriously anymore as a genuine form of comment / criticism.

And starts to just feel kind of.. hollow, I guess.

yeah ... "business". ironically, it's the same thing he basically throws at frontier.

well, jungle was too simple for us so we found ourselves even more complicated places to live. markets!

Well.. I can't agree entirely. Nothing wrong with markets per se.

But in this particular case: he didn't start out by selling a product. He started out by selling entertainment in the form of funny criticism.
Now if I may apply a very simplified and amputated SWOT analisys here: the Threat to his business model is that when there's nothing to really criticize*, his audience still expects him to post funny content. If "funny criticism" is all you are used to doing, you've got a problem...

*yeah, there's still a lot to criticize, but he covered that already. Dead horses and all that. There's hardly anything new to criticize. Well, the FSS stuttering perhaps, but it's hard to make a 15 min vid solely about that.

Well.. I can't agree entirely. Nothing wrong with markets per se.

But in this particular case: he didn't start out by selling a product. He started out by selling entertainment in the form of funny criticism.
Now if I may apply a very simplified and amputated SWOT analisys here: the Threat to his business model is that when there's nothing to really criticize*, his audience still expects him to post funny content. If "funny criticism" is all you are used to doing, you've got a problem...

*yeah, there's still a lot to criticize, but he covered that already. Dead horses and all that. There's hardly anything new to criticize. Well, the FSS stuttering perhaps, but it's hard to make a 15 min vid solely about that.
The problem is there doesn't need to be a problem for people like the OP to complain. If there isn't a specific problem, he will just invent one. It is pretty easy, all he has to say is 'as others have pointed out numerous times, XX causes YY and that is definitely the fault of FD who are totally incompetent'. Influencers like the OP don't need proof, they don't need reality, all they need is reaction and conflict.

If the 'social media' channels were not monetised maybe the content produced would be heavier on fact and lighter on drama.

Top marks for bringing in any kind of income from posting content - smart move - may he prosper from it, I couldn't do it :)

You can't go around doing sensible research before buying video games any more, you are supposed to buy entirely at random then loudly demand its changed to fit your misconceptions.
Sensible research based on what exactly, on what Frontier say, on what people here on the forums tell you, what mods here say and community streamers?

Where else would you go for "sensible research"?

Even more fun fact: I haven't even checked the comments at all. I just figured.

And I used to like his videos as well. His style is definitely funny sometimes (albeit a style that can also get a bit tiresome in the long term)
But I liked him when he was actually pointing out glaring bugs or faults with the game. The way he presented those gained him a lot of subscribers I recon, and hell, he deserved them.
But as you see with a lot of Youtubers, they then feel compelled (or are financially compelled) to keep up the same schtick. Even though there's not really that much to whine or talk about. It becomes a format. And starts to just feel kind of.. hollow, I guess.
I wish him all the success, but I can't really take his video's seriously anymore as a genuine form of comment / criticism.

Youtube gamer videos are like most other social media - they find popularity at the margins, so most tend to gravitate to being either ultra-earnest superfans, or embittered cynical moaners. Even if they don't start out that way, that's where they end up because they work out that you get more views as either of those than you do as a fairly balanced individual just playing games. Hardly a shock - after all I'm a fairly balanced individual just playing games and I've never fooled myself that anybody would be interested in watching me do that 😁

Top Bottom