Release Elite Cougar MFD Cockpit Display - game changing new companion app

so .... no posts (progress) since Sept ... hmmm
There’s been plenty of progress on the project even if I haven’t posted updates here!
To be honest I’ve done a partial rewrite of the core engine because the many layers of abstraction were getting in the way and slowing me down. Plus, I’ve added local database support to the explorer module giving the ability to persist entries in the journal and make an interface so CMDRs can explore that data and find items of interest , eg colliding binaries, high g landable planets, etc. Plus been adding support for exploring systems and stations and currently adding a mission optimiser to workout the optimal route between starting location and multiple mission destinations. I want this system to be fully automatic and fast so there’s no delay and instant route recalculations as soon as you jump system.

0C328EC5-D967-4326-8016-4A70E2A27375.jpeg
520A1765-0A09-4D57-A415-244BE4508971.jpeg
F5B7C3F4-8E88-4562-A84B-3F66A8B7F653.jpeg
376E23FD-0D2F-4A04-8785-A3018BA753D9.jpeg
D4ADEEF9-F6BA-4B91-B12E-FF76286634ED.jpeg

Some preliminary screen shots of the main display. Much, much more to show!

"mission optimiser to workout the optimal route between starting location and multiple mission destinations" Had this on a garmin GPS unit working for a cable company years ago. A real time saver. It'll be interesting to see how you work out the logic of it.

Interesting scrn shots. Will these be displayable separately on different screens at the same time?

"mission optimiser to workout the optimal route between starting location and multiple mission destinations" Had this on a garmin GPS unit working for a cable company years ago. A real time saver. It'll be interesting to see how you work out the logic of it.
It’s an implementation of the Traveling salesman algorithm. I have it running in a test utility so I’m excited to see it work myself for real when I merge the code base.
Interesting scrn shots. Will these be displayable separately on different screens at the same time?
The design is around a pair of Thrustmaster MFD Cougars overlaying 8” monitors. So yea, they are supposed to be on separate screens.
Nothing stopping the config from arranging the displays on a Single large touch screen monitor though. The cougars are cool though, and I think they add a touch of class to the gaming experience. Love em.

So given I have the infrastructure already (been flying DCS with exported MFDs and E:D with StatusDisplay) I would be interested to know if there's been any development?

So given I have the infrastructure already (been flying DCS with exported MFDs and E:D with StatusDisplay) I would be interested to know if there's been any development?
Lots!
Added a whole module on commodity searching. Comes in handy when accepting delivery missions and want to route optimise your order of destinations.
Currently in beta testing and very close to release in terms of features. A bit more spit and polish needed on the UI to control the setup and config. These parts are tedious but it has to be done.
Moved the rendering into a dedicated thread so there is clean separation between rendering and database/UI thread.

Just found this thread and am super excited. Maybe I missed it up-thread, but will the icon/switch positions be customizable? I'd prefer to save the MFD buttons for functions that aren't mapped to my Warthog HOTAS (though status at a glance of some of them would be pretty cool).

Great project....love the execution so far!

Just found this thread and am super excited. Maybe I missed it up-thread, but will the icon/switch positions be customizable? I'd prefer to save the MFD buttons for functions that aren't mapped to my Warthog HOTAS (though status at a glance of some of them would be pretty cool).

Great project....love the execution so far!
There are a range of built-in icons to select from covering quite a range of functions. In theory the icon set is extendable via XML so a creative person can extend the range.
The app comes with a fully integrated utility to arrange the icons and assign key bindings. It would indeed be interesting to see what people come up with!

I'm going to be the damp squib in the room. The concept and how it's been implemented looks fantastic and, 5 years ago, I would've loved this. When I want to add to the immersion today, I pop on my HP Reverb and I'm inside my cockpit. I can look at the floating screens, lean over to look out of the window or get up, wonder around and check out the other rooms ( Of course not having actual space legs makes getting around the three levels of the T10 'interesting' ). So I guess my question would be, since the OP is clearly motivated and wants to improve the immersion - would it not fulfill his vision by going VR?

I'm going to be the damp squib in the room. The concept and how it's been implemented looks fantastic and, 5 years ago, I would've loved this. When I want to add to the immersion today, I pop on my HP Reverb and I'm inside my cockpit. I can look at the floating screens, lean over to look out of the window or get up, wonder around and check out the other rooms ( Of course not having actual space legs makes getting around the three levels of the T10 'interesting' ). So I guess my question would be, since the OP is clearly motivated and wants to improve the immersion - would it not fulfill his vision by going VR?
Want to donate your VR system .... purely for research you understand, I promise I won’t enjoy myself. 😁
I’d love to try the VR system and write something. Would be truly awesome. But, I don’t think two apps could write to the same VR screen space at the same time. I tried to overlay an OpenGL window onto of Elite but unlike a regular windows window, you can’t set an alpha blend transparency. In light of this I think the VR option wouldn’t work out so well....

Now with Fleet Carrier support!
** ( just waiting for the final beta of fleet carriers to be released )

Meanwhile, here are some images of the other console screens I've been working on.

Attachments

• console4.png
    console4.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 370
  • console5.png
    console5.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 369
  • console7.png
    console7.png
    383 KB · Views: 369
  • console9.png
    console9.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 386
  • mfd_weapons_mockup.png
    mfd_weapons_mockup.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 386
Okay, I'm sold - I've already got the Cougars and have been using Amazon 8" Fire tablets to lite up a display in the center to mark out essentially the 28 options on each freaking panel. It works (see attached), but as I've seen what you're up to here, your screens are adaptive and I applaud it, my only concern or questions are the 8" displays and how they get integrated.
cOUGAR LEFT-Recovered.jpg

Currently run an three screen spread and adding screens may be tricky but doable.
So when is this ready for primetime?
By the way, a word of advice, you have a great concept - stop adding and just fine tune it. Get it fully fleshed out - THEN add other options. Think of No Man's Sky's release but on an 8" scale, brother.
For the record, contributing to Patreon for vaporware is not my thing. Impressive images, but until there is a working item then I'll buy. To finally get these Cougars working as intended I'll toss you $100, but I need to know what monitors to buy first and foremost for I've looked high and low and that's where I settled on the Fire tablets (refurb $69 each) and they "work", but not like what you're promising. Hope to hear more.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm sold - I've already got the Cougars and have been using Amazon 8" Fire tablets to lite up a display in the center to mark out essentially the 28 options on each freaking panel. It works (see attached), but as I've seen what you're up to here, your screens are adaptive and I applaud it, my only concern or questions are the 8" displays and how they get integrated. View attachment 174579
Currently run an three screen spread and adding screens may be tricky but doable.
So when is this ready for primetime?
By the way, a word of advice, you have a great concept - stop adding and just fine tune it. Get it fully fleshed out - THEN add other options. Think of No Man's Sky's release but on an 8" scale, brother.
For the record, contributing to Patreon for vaporware is not my thing. Impressive images, but until there is a working item then I'll buy. To finally get these Cougars working as intended I'll toss you $100, but I need to know what monitors to buy first and foremost for I've looked high and low and that's where I settled on the Fire tablets (refurb $69 each) and they "work", but not like what you're promising. Hope to hear more.
I promise you the end result is way better than the screen images! I really need to show the thing in action...and that's the last piece of marketing outstanding - videos of the cougars in action.
I have full documentation and some insight for the monitors. It's a lot of information to take in and too much to repeat here, so it's best just to visit my web page for more detail (in the signature link), or read this section on how I put together a simple display.

I have just been guilty of adding new features whilst waiting for the Fleet Carrier update. All that's done now, so I'm on the edge of releasing version 1.0 - just performing a final set of quality checks!

Last edited:
Last new feature before release: Galaxy Map route plotter - along with a neutron star route way finder.
This system creates a route between your source(s) and destination and attempts to find neutron stars to boost the jump range (and lower the number of jumps). This is all then plotted on a 3D galaxy map which can be rotated, traversed and moved in 3D. Clicking on the Mission explorer automatically moves the Galaxy Map to the selected node, as does using the mouse to select different nodes. Each selected node is copied to the clipboard to so that the destination name can be pasted into the Elite Gal map plotter.
GalaxyMap_NeutronRoute.jpg
GalaxyMap_NeutronRoute2.jpg
GalaxyMap_NeutronRouteUI.jpg

Top Bottom